What's new

Bewitched sponsor openings on DVD (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
When Bewitched originally aired each week was sponsored by a different company which was integrated into the opening credits. For example Chevy was a big sponsor and the credits would start with the Chevy symbol floating into the sky and the announcer would say "Chevrolet presents...." and the symbol would morph into the moon which the cartoon witch would fly by and then the credits would play as normal up until the end of the smoke. It would then cut to cartoon Samantha and Darrin flying on a broom which Samantha would zap into the symbol and the announcer would say "See the U.S. the Chevrolet way!" and it would show a clip of one of the new cars. (You can see images from this at Vic's Bewitched Page. I would've included the link but I'm too new right now). There were other sponsors as well like Quaker Oats, Clairol, Oscar Meyer, etc.

Is it even worth Bewitched fans hoping to see these original sponsor openings and such on the DVDs? Or would there just be too much money involved in trying to get the rights from the various sponsors?

Are there other classic TV shows that have their sponsor openings on the DVDS?

In my opinion I would think these companies would jump at the chance for free advertising.

Would Sony even look into restoring these original openings? I think they bring so much more viewing pleasure to watching Bewitched.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to see these included, but not having them wont affect their buying decision.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well, ChrisL, that certainly isn't anyway to treat a new comer.:thumbsdown: Luckily I don't offend easily........and yes there are lot of people that do care or I wouldn't have asked

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Chris doesn't speak for me. I'd prefer them as original, but doubt we'll see it, even though companies would be pretty stupid to pass up free advertising like that IMO.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Maybe I was a little out of line. I'm sorry. I just thought that fans wouldn't care that much for them as much as they would care for owning the series on DVD.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner

David, you'll be happy to know that 18 episodes of "The Monkees: Season One" and 14 episodes of "The Monkees: Season Two" box sets have their original sponsorships For Kellogg's (after the opening title & during the end credits) & Yardley of London (end Credits only). Also as an extra bonus, the season one set has the original kellogg's & Yardley commercials as a bonus feature.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle first season set changed the opening, I believe (along with replaced music througout the credits). The parade opening from the second season is used, and originally Bullwinkle is trying to spell "SPONSOR" and then there would be a breakaway to have a sponsor banner (usually/always General Mills?). The dialog is changed to have Bullwinkle spelling "John Smith" instead, and instead of the breakaway there's just an edit in to the continuing parade scene. I don't remember the original opening from seeing the original 1959 broadcasts (a little, but not much, before my time) but have read about this in a couple of places.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Thanks for your responses!

The biggest Bewitched fans very much want the original sponsor openings, but like you and Kyle said most people just want the episodes. I appreciate your apology too.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Quite so. I would venture to guess that the majority of those interested in Bewitched would love to have the shows intact/as shown. But as Kyle stated, it would not be a big enough deal to stop someone from purchasing it.

And I don't think it will be very likely for the show to be that way. It's not that way in syndication, IIRC, so I would expect the DVD's to be the syndication cuts.

Chris

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Funny, I just made a similar post about Twilight Zone sponsors. The syndicated Bewitched opening has always seemed truncated to me, and although after the last time they were remastered they've been smoothed out, the audio of the opening used to fade away before the picture did. In fact, I remember once in the late 70s/early 80s, I saw an episode where the audio did NOT fade out and heard "brought to you by--" before the splice to the episode title. This was probably a 16mm print (it was that long ago!).

Similarly, there must've been a similar arrangement on Star Trek--a few years ago when the Sci-Fi Channel ran them uncut, after the opening credits of one episode a still of the Enterprise orbiting a planet with the ST logo at the side appeared for about 3 seconds and then faded away. It struck me that the negatives probably have these tags after the credits to accomodate the network adding a voiceover.

The completist in me wants to see everything on the prints/negatives that were delivered to the network. Nothing added BY the network, mind you, but if the studio put "brought to you by's" on these episodes I want them left there. This goes for bumpers, too.

So I agree that a proper and complete presentation should include them. I also agree that their absense isn't going to keep people from buying the set.

But they should include them anyway. :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Oh, I care. I would LOVE to see them as much as I would love to see the original Philip Morris openings on I Love Lucy.

I have a 2-disc DVD set of vintage commercials that has a Bewitched product promo in it. It's for those heated hair curlers. Elizabeth Montgomery actually does the promo herself, sitting on the couch in the Stevens' living room.

The color episodes also used to begin with Elizabeth Montgomery announcing on camera, "Stay tuned for Betwitched -- next, in color." I'd like to see that restored, too.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
David*P,

Let me welcome you to the forum. It is usually a fun place to exchange ideas have an intelligent, insult free discussion.

Although I'm not a fan of Bewitched to the extent you are, I agree that the ideal DVD would have sponsor intros/tags intact. Vintage advertising is fun to view and provides a pseudo-history lesson if you will of days gone by. The vintage cigarette commercials on the Dick Van Dyke sets are an absolute hoot!

Will the inclusion or exclusion of these sway my purchase decision one way or the other? No, but it would make the DVD viewing experience a bit more fun!

Steve

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
The I Love Lucy DVD's have the syndicated "Heart On Satin" opening but have the original opening as a bonus. Since I only saw the show in syndication I'm not too bugged and I feel the same of Bewitched.

- Randy

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Yeah, they do, so it's not a total loss, but I'd still rather see them integrated into the show. The good news is that starting with Season Two, the animated transitions at the mid-show commercial breaks will be restored. (I know, I've already got most of Season Two from Columbia House, and they'll be the same discs.)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for original openings. However, as far as Lucy is concerned, I personally prefer the Heart on Satin....it looks classier.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Steve....O thanks for the welcome.

Even if they do show up as just the uncut, unedited shows with the standard opening I will definitely buy them too......I might just grumble about no sponsor openings for a little bit:D

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Brian W,

Interesting. What's the title of this 2-DVD vintage commercial set, what other highlights are on it (Harold "Oddjob" Sakata's VICKS FORMULA 44 cough syrup ads, perhaps), and where can it be found?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Many of the shows on The Dick Van Dyke Show DVDs have the "brought to you by..." opening, or the closing "was brought to you by..." within the show, and include dishwashing fluid & Kent cigarette commercials performed by cast members as extras (hidden in the cases of the cigarette commercials).

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

When you say "hidden in the cases" do you mean these are Easter Eggs on the DVD? I'm not sure I understand....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks