Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Decisions, decisions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 08:57 AM

OK, I'm starting to investigate Sirius and XM radio. I'm really torn.

Advantages that I've seen so far:

XM Radio
-Fox Sports Radio
-ESPN Radio
-much wider variety of talk programming

Sirius
-Commerical Free Music
-NFL
-NBA
-NHL

When I listen to over-the-air radio, I's say 75% of my time is spent listening to talk and sports. XM seems to offer a lot more talk, although it's very heavy towards the right wing. Also, I love to listen to Tony Bruno on Fox Sports Radio and some of the shows on ESPN radio. Yet, Sirius carries all the sporting events live. I prefer Sirius overall just based on their philosophy. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just have this feeling that XM will gradually add more and more commericals once they have a big enough customer base.

Jeff

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 09:37 AM

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Sirius is a good service and if it fits you better, go with it. I'm happy with XM but I could have just as easily gone with Sirius. Given Ron's report, it sounds like it's pretty much a draw. Each service has their issues but neither one is a bad way to go.
Regards,
Dave

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,799 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted January 02 2004 - 12:48 PM

Sirius is commited to adding more talk programming. Mike Reagan will be added Monday. There will also be other programming changes, so wait till then to decide. I love Sirius.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,292 posts

Posted January 02 2004 - 08:52 PM

Talk and sports? Sirius. Better music programming? XM right now, that is, until Sirius unveils its new lineup in another week.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted January 03 2004 - 04:03 AM

I think a lot of people don't separate Sports from Sports Talk. XM is far better in the Sports Talk radio segment than Sirius. XM has Fox Sports Radio and Sporting News Radio. To some non sports fans that may not seem like much, but that is some the best talent in the business on those two Channels. The only thing imo that is better sports wise on Sirius are the NFL games, but fortunately for me I don't have a job that requires me to drive on Sunday and I have the NFL Sunday Ticket so I have no need for radio games, at the moment.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 03:53 AM

It looks like I'm going to go with XM. They just have so much more to offer in terms of talk. Sirius's talk lineups are pretty weak by comparison. Plus, I really want to be able to listen to ESPN Radio. I would rather support Sirius, since they don't seem to be in bed with Clear Channel, but I'm getting this thing mostly for the talk channels, so I'm going with XM. Now, I just have to figure out what unit to go for. I'd prefer something that I can use in the house too. Any comments good/bad regarding the Delphi Sky-Fi? Jeff

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Allen_M

Allen_M

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 04:37 AM

Jeff, Sirius has ESPN Radio as well.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 07:20 AM

Sorry. You're right. I meant Fox Sports Radio. XM has both and I like certain shows on each channel. I'd probably be all over Sirius if I was getting it more for music. Jeff

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 26 2004 - 09:23 AM

Jeff, I think if i was in your shoes I'd wait until February if possible. That way you can see how you like the new XM channels that are coming on 2/1 and you'll also be able to see if Sirius continues to improve. Now is a really great time to be looking into it.
Regards,
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users