Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need a new DVD player, <$1000 and not annoying

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   MikeNagy

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 10:35 AM

Right now I have a Sony NS900V, and a couple things about it really bug me. First of all, you have to use its bass management, either "large" or "small", with a fixed cutoff at 120 Hz. If I choose large, nothing goes to the sub, and if I choose small, the mains get nothing below 120 Hz. I've seen some players somewhere that have 4 modes: small, small + sub, large, large + sub. I like that because then I can run the mains full and have the sub going as well. A good fifth mode would be OFF, so I could just use my receiver’s bass management. Secondly, when changing layers on DVD's, there is a noticeable 1.5 - 2 second pause, which is incredibly annoying, and totally kills any immersion in the movie that I had up until that point. On the other hand, the player has great picture quality, and excellent sound quality considering that it's primarily a DVD player. So for my next DVD player, I want something that has great sound quality (first priority), has good bass management options, plays SACD's, and doesn't pause when changing layers. Oh, and I can't spend more than a grand. Any suggestions?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Don_Berg

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 10:58 AM

Denon DVD-2200 or DVD-2900.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 11:01 AM

Ditto....meets your criteria to a tee

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   MikeNagy

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 12:02 PM

Wow, sweet, I think I'm going with the 2900. Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users