-

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody know of any reviews of Dolby ProLogic IIx?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   JedW

JedW

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 06:50 AM

If so, please post.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 09:18 AM

Not a review.......... just a personal opinion:
I heard it at CEDIA in Indiana and it sounds GREAT!!! Posted Image
Still A LD and Vinyl FAN !!

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Gruson

Gruson

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 12:18 PM

I too would like to see some reviews on this.

My current receiver, Yamaha RX-V1000, does not even have Pro Logic II....so I am wondering now how IIx sounds.

Anyone care to comment how Star Wars LDs sound on Pro Logic II or IIx?

I am very curious if it is worth upgrading for.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   SeanV

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 05:42 AM

I know the Marantz 7400 is supposed to have it, and they're available now.....just curious if anyone has heard it and what their opinion is.

(Update)
So, has anyone had a chance to hear it?
"A good friend will bail you out of jail.....A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn..we *$%#@ up"

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   SeanV

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 08:09 AM

So, has anyone had a chance to hear it yet???
"A good friend will bail you out of jail.....A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn..we *$%#@ up"

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 08:51 AM

I am very curious as well.

I really figured since EX post processing on top of DLPII, gives effective 6.1 and 7.1 that DPLII would be the end of the line for Pro Logic, but as usual I was wrong, and now we have DPLIIx I guess it is called.

Any good links on DPLIIx even, maybe even at the Dolby website? I kind of looked a few weeks ago, and did not come up with all to much about it. More just that it exists and we will be see'n it available on recievers and pre pros soon, well and of course it is supposed to be better.... :-)

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 09:03 AM

Quote:
The contenders:
THX EX
DTS NEO:6
Denon 7.1 Widescreen
Then I'm afraid you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about DPL IIx, a new version of DPL II that is not represented in your list.

BTW, there's no difference between "Dolby Digital EX" and "THX EX". Different names for the same process, which was jointly developed by THX and Dolby.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted December 02 2003 - 09:15 AM

Ooops sorry Michael, I actually was meaning for that to be a PM back to Gruson. About DPLII in general with LD sources. I'll try to be better about that in the future.

Know of any links that match up the differences bewteen the newest DPLIIx and DPLII with EX post processing? From what I percieve about it now, it is just DPLII with EX included, but even that could be mis-information from the person that told me that.

So many modes and possibilities, it is enough to make one's head swim.

PS: Michael, I did edit the post to be more on topic. And sent the other post to Gruson as a PM about LD and DPLII / EX. Once again sorry for the goof up.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 02:03 AM

I too am very interested in this. There's a long thread at AVS:
http://www.avsforum.....ighlight=PLIIX

Here's the link to the info at Dolby:

http://www.dolby.com...nologies/PLIIx/

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Blaine P

Blaine P

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone know how DPL IIx will compare to NEO:6? I am building a 6.1 HT from scratch (about to buy an A/V receiver) and am curious if I should wait and buy one with DPL IIx so that all 6 speakers are being utilized.

Any thoughts?

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Trevor_J

Trevor_J

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 09:14 AM

I'd wait. Since DPLIIx was announced over 6 months ago there are more than a few receivers that are shipping with it now with even more coming in the new year. Unless you have everything else and you are in dire straits for a receiver now then by all means pick one up but keep in mind that there are still a few offerings available today that have DPLIIx already implemented.
"Never underestimate the Powah of the Dahk Syhde..."

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Blaine P

Blaine P

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 09:26 AM

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. I have waited this long for my HT, what is another month or two.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 05:44 PM

Blaine wrote:

>>Does anyone know how DPL IIx will compare to NEO:6? I am building a 6.1 HT from scratch (about to buy an A/V receiver) and am curious if I should wait and buy one with DPL IIx so that all 6 speakers are being utilized.<<

With a 6.1 speaker system you will not get all the benefit that PLIIx has to offer. The "Movie" mode is standard Dolby EX, but there is also a Music mode which can also be used for movies where the Ls/Rs of the source are very correlated (tending towards mono), and this prevents the sound from piling up in the lone back speaker.

If you are still in construction, I'd encourage you to add one more back speaker for a 7.1 set-up. Then the spatiality and localization benefits of PLIIx will be present.
Roger Dressler

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Adil M

Adil M

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 05:58 PM

Our local Onkyo rep. claimed DPLIIx was better even for 5 channel systems due to better steering of the signal.
Is this true? I have a 7.1 system and was wondering if DPLIIx was firmware upgradeable for older flagship units like the Onkyo 989?

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Blaine P

Blaine P

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 25 2004 - 02:04 AM

Roger:

7.1 would be nice, but everything is prewired for 6.1 (new construction, 2-story house). While I may not get the full benefit from DPL IIx, I want to fully utilize my 6.1.

Thanks.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted February 26 2004 - 04:25 PM

>>Our local Onkyo rep. claimed DPLIIx was better even for 5 channel systems due to better steering of the signal.
Is this true?<<

No. The steering is exactly the same.
Roger Dressler

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Adil M

Adil M

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted February 27 2004 - 03:28 PM

Thanks.
I thought I smelled something there.