What's new

Is Forbidden Planet SE still on August 2004 from WB? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's part of their August release schedule...

Along with Freaks and a double-feature of Children of the Damned and Village of the Damned.

I saw Forbidden Planet on TCM not too long ago and loved it. Considering the quality of Warner's 2-disc releases and their cheapness... it looks like I'll be adding this to my collection in August. (Along with Freaks)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]"Monsters John, monsters from the Id!"[/rant]
Now this is more like it! Forbidden Planet is my favorite pre-2001 A Space Odyssey SF film, I'd love a 2-disc special edition of this. Hard to believe Frank Drebin aka Leslie Nielsen was the hero of this SF classic made nearly 50 years ago. I hope they interview Robby the Robot in the documentary.:D

Robby: "Sorry I'm late miss I was giving myself an oiljob."

If they ever remake Forbidden Planet, they should get the guy who does the voice of Bender in Futurama to do the voice of Robby.:laugh:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If this is true, I'm ready to do backflips and cartwheels. The current transfer of the Forbidden Planet DVD is terrible. It's obvious the film needs to undergo major restoration if that print was the best they could come up with.

Hopefully Warners has corraled Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen still very much with us into doing commentary and/or retrospective interviews.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Forbidden Planet and Freaks in the same month? You guys just made my August!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Robert, the people are screaming for more information. Come to think of it, I am too! What do you know, fella?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
There is a thread on this at DVDTalk and the person said he got the info at creepyclassics.com

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I went to that site & I can't find the info. But maybe I just don't know where to look there.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Gosh, I'm embarassed, guys. :b All I really know is strictly second hand, and it doesn't consist of anything more than I said. I was kind of hoping someone else here would know more! :)

This is excellent news. Almost bought the current dvd. Looks like waiting has payed off,as another classic favorite of mine I still have not picked up,is always being rereleased(My Fair Lady).

MarkBourne

Stunt Coordinator
Good lord! If it's true, then with Forbidden Planet and the one true King Kong released in 2004, I might as well stop buying DVDs after that, for my collection will be complete. 2006 would make more sense for a 50th Anniversary edition, though if the studio can't wait that long then I won't ask 'em to slow the process.

I adore Forbidden Planet, a sentiment perhaps a bit too effusively displayed in one of my first pieces for DVD Journal. The thought of a much-rumored remake wakes me screaming in the night, much to my wife's distress.

If anyone can confirm this info with a first-hand source, please do post it here.

"I rarely use it myself, sir. It promotes rust." Heh.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The current DVD didn't seem to offer sufficient incentive to relegate my Criterion laser to that great optical bin in the sky, but a new 2-disc SE should serve as ample excuse for replacement. :emoji_thumbsup: Wonderful news -- the first six weeks of 2004 already dazzle the eye with one fantastic release announcement after another. Now that we've jumped forward to August, and with the persistent word/rumor of King Kong (perhaps a few other RKO's while we're at it? I haven't heard anything on that front, but we know the studio's working on the restoration of that library ...) and a 65th Anniversary Gone With the Wind intended for year's end, one wonders what marvels await in the months between. Many, I dare say, from WB, Fox, and Universal, if the first six weeks of the year are an indication, and the other majors will likely have a slew of surprises up their sleeves to remain competitive (a few big titles have already cropped up as rumored/likely Paramount efforts) -- checking news announcements is becoming a joy unto itself, something akin to the excitement I felt with the first lists generated back in 1997. 2004 might well prove a, perhaps even the, banner year for this format -- here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks