What's new

THE PAWNBROKER on DVD on 16th December! (1 Viewer)

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, that's great news. I am waiting for this title since ...
Rod Steiger is brilliant.
The cinematography is brilliant, stark black and white.
Wonderful soundtrack too.

Bring it on, i hope it is the the real deal, because the original title is: The Pawnbroker. ;)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Artisan Gordy... they're releasing 4 other classics on that date as well.

Not sure about the AR though...

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Probably should have listed them too...

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell
The Enforcer
Flat Top
The Men
The Pawnbroker

The Enforcer... oh yeah...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It's a big favourite of mine. Pulverizing stuff. Steiger is awesome. Great editing. Hopefully Artisan see sense for once and do it right.

Gordy

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Artisan's recent release of A Double Life states on the box that it was taken from the original negative -- I haven't seen it yet, but none of their truly problematic releases (such as the unwatchable The Fighting Kentuckian) make any such claim -- several of their very good re-releases (not the new SEs, which I haven't seen, but the original re-releases) of Republic Home Video discs, including It's a Wonderful Life, state they were taken from negative materials (and are also THX certified), and that disc, at any rate, looks very nice indeed.

If any of these make claim to original negative sources, they might be worth a roll of the dice.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
THE PAWNBROKER was probably meant to be shown at 1.66:1. Artisan's track record with OAR sucks. The Republic catalog thus far released looks awful. The Republic laser disc is 1.33:1, but otherwise looks pretty decent after the first ten minutes or so.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I think I saw this movie in the early 70's while on a vacation in England. Is this the movie were there was a scene were Steiger shoved his hand down on a sharp metal object(paper holder) and cut himself badly.
And I also think there was nudity in the movie which shocked me as a young boy to see on TV. If this is the movie I remember it to be quite a good flick. Do I remember correctly or am I dreaming? If this is the movie I will definitely buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks