Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need a GOOD .WAV to .AC3 encoder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 11:49 AM

I'm trying ("trying" being the key word) to convert some of my laserdiscs to DVD-R, but I want to keep the original audio and commentary tracks intact.

To that end, I'm using Pinnacle Impression-DVD Pro.

This program is one of the most user-UNfriendliest tools I have ever worked with. However, many of the problems that I'm having are most likely due to the BeSweet tool that I used to convert .WAV to .AC3. As it turns out, BeSweet is not compilant with Dolby Digital standards.

I did a search on DVDRHelp.Com and the two tools that they list are BeSweet, which clearly does not work, and another tool called HeadAC3he that is only in Alpha stage and does not convert to AC3, but only from AC3.

Are there any tools out there that will properly convert a WAV (or if necessary an MPA file) file to an AC3 file that is actually compliant?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
two tools that they list are BeSweet, which clearly does not work

I've used it on all my conversions and it's been perfect every time. The discs I've produced have played on all my kit as well as those of other people.
No longer here.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   David Broome

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 09:27 AM

SoftEncode, if you can find a copy, since it isn't sold anymore, has worked for me...

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Reece

Reece

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 09:36 AM

You might want to check this out.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 09:51 AM

For free? I dunno. (For me, time is money.)

Plenty of DVD products have AC-3 encoders. I've used the ones in ReelDVD, Vegas+DVD, and A.Pack with DVD Studio Pro. They all work fine.

//Ken

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 03:28 PM

Does ReelDVD support and encode multiple AC-3 audio streams or is it restricted to just one?

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Brian Teal

Brian Teal

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 10:26 AM

A good frontend for BeSweet when working with AC3 is AC3Machine.

For a guide, look here:
http://www.dvdrhelp....es/185077.php#8

Both are freeware and links to download are at the top of the page above.

Keep in mind that this guide is meant for DVD compliant AC3, so you may or may not need to follow it.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted November 01 2003 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
Does ReelDVD support and encode multiple AC-3 audio streams or is it restricted to just one?
The current version, 3.0, supports eight.

ReelDVD is more for developing interactive content. There are no fancy templates. You take all the elementary stuff -- video-only MPEG-2, audio files, backgrounds -- and wire them together, with up to 999 menus. It's pretty simple to add chapters and subtitles. But it multiplexes everything into one giant VTS, so you can't have two truly separate titles with their own timecode and chapter numbers. If you're doing just one title, this may not be an issue.

//Ken

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted November 01 2003 - 12:23 PM

I've gotten so fed up with the whole thing (application crashes, failed AC-3 conversions, and so forth) that I just went to high bit rate MPEG audio. It works fine on all of my DVD players, DVD-ROM drives, and even my laserdisc/DVD combo player.

Maybe I'll try again sometime in the future after I get my hard drive cleaned off from the various applications on it. But with the exception of this one laserdisc I don't really have a need or desire for multiple audio tracks.

Forum Nav Content I Follow