What's new

Need a GOOD .WAV to .AC3 encoder (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying ("trying" being the key word) to convert some of my laserdiscs to DVD-R, but I want to keep the original audio and commentary tracks intact.

To that end, I'm using Pinnacle Impression-DVD Pro.

This program is one of the most user-UNfriendliest tools I have ever worked with. However, many of the problems that I'm having are most likely due to the BeSweet tool that I used to convert .WAV to .AC3. As it turns out, BeSweet is not compilant with Dolby Digital standards.

I did a search on DVDRHelp.Com and the two tools that they list are BeSweet, which clearly does not work, and another tool called HeadAC3he that is only in Alpha stage and does not convert to AC3, but only from AC3.

Are there any tools out there that will properly convert a WAV (or if necessary an MPA file) file to an AC3 file that is actually compliant?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
For free? I dunno. (For me, time is money.)

Plenty of DVD products have AC-3 encoders. I've used the ones in ReelDVD, Vegas+DVD, and A.Pack with DVD Studio Pro. They all work fine.

//Ken

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Does ReelDVD support and encode multiple AC-3 audio streams or is it restricted to just one?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Does ReelDVD support and encode multiple AC-3 audio streams or is it restricted to just one?
The current version, 3.0, supports eight.

ReelDVD is more for developing interactive content. There are no fancy templates. You take all the elementary stuff -- video-only MPEG-2, audio files, backgrounds -- and wire them together, with up to 999 menus. It's pretty simple to add chapters and subtitles. But it multiplexes everything into one giant VTS, so you can't have two truly separate titles with their own timecode and chapter numbers. If you're doing just one title, this may not be an issue.

//Ken

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten so fed up with the whole thing (application crashes, failed AC-3 conversions, and so forth) that I just went to high bit rate MPEG audio. It works fine on all of my DVD players, DVD-ROM drives, and even my laserdisc/DVD combo player.

Maybe I'll try again sometime in the future after I get my hard drive cleaned off from the various applications on it. But with the exception of this one laserdisc I don't really have a need or desire for multiple audio tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks