What's new

Okay....dts vs. dd ? ? ? (1 Viewer)

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The posts I've read allude that halfrate (754 kbps) dts is inferior to dd...when the same master is used
confused.gif

Why then the superior sound of dts on...
The Mummy ultimate edition
Big Trouble in Little China
American Beauty
Chain Reaction (hey I like the film)
T2
No flames, no name-calling, huh?
------------------
...do not attempt this at home....

Derek Baker

Stunt Coordinator
Oh no...here we go again !!!
There are many half-rate dts soundtracks that do sound superior to their DD counterparts (IMHO) BUT there are a few DD soundtracks that sound better than their half-rate dts counterparts.
I prefer not to argue which is better - DD or dts ; i think they both contribute greatly to many discs out there - it's a listener's descretion thing !

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Hey, man. Options are great. Choose the one that best fits you and be happy.
BTW, you'll find much more info by using the search function. I don't think most are gonna want to touch this with a 5 mile pole.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
These type of topics shouldnt exist IMHO.
Cant everyone get it that some like Dolby Digital and some like DTS over one another. I can hear the difference between them and thats why I pick with sounds better to me.
There is no difference between them except that they are two DIFFERENT codecs.
The avalibility of the both of them is important because most like one or the other.
But then again, Im just giving my 2 cents.
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I love DTS. I have Castaway and watched both virsions and like the DTS soundtrack way better.The metal screaming against the sides of the plane in the dts virsion grabs you more,the sounds of the ocen waves are crisper in the dts virsion.
Now, one disk i can think about that the dts virsion is NO better then DD is Men In Black.I could not tell any difference at all.
I will always buy DTS over DD.But that is me.

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
It's all upon customer taste and home theater owner taste. I prefer a well done track.
wink.gif

Antz DTS rocks, Dragonheart DTS rocks.
Men In Black Dolby Digital Rocks, Criterion The Rock Dolby Digital rocks..it's all about what you like.
No versus please. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I know many thought the DD version of T2:UE sounded better than the DTS version. I have yet to do a comparison myself.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
The most shrill sounding soloists in this growing quoir of lunacy are often those whose ability to read notes is weakest. The Pavarotti's of this opera (aka Obi) resonate with voices that have made the cacaphony of silliness that pervades so many operas, easy to translate and understand.
Ladies and gentlemen, if you will all kindly look at the lower sections of the last page of your program, you will note the bottom line: "Upon extensive testing and graphing, the auditory differences are normally negligible and are often percetible only to those whose expenditures on HT equipment necessitate confirmation of pre-concieved notions and inherent wishful thinking. Enjoy the show."

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
DTS is better cause it has its own fanfare on discs. It's worth getting just to see that piano thing...or the one with the exploding CD. DD just can't cut it without that...

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
these kinds of posts only infuriate people and cause trouble the bottom line is what sounds good to your ears is best for you... there is no need to go back and forth on this issue because someone may feel different about dts/dd than you.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I've mellowed on this topic... used to be very eager to duke it out. However, at this point it's not that important to me anymore. I do lament the fact that we no longer seem to be getting full rate DTS on any discs... but as for different codecs, that's about as interesting as different codecs for MP3 music. There are quite a few; most of them stink; I know what I like and use it and am happy that way.
Same goes for DTS vs DD; both are good, although my personal preference is for DTS since I feel I have heard more truly spectacular DTS tracks than I have heard truly spectacular DD tracks. Still, I've heard spectacular tracks on both formats...
------------------
/Kimmo

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Mike, people have grown long beards sitting in front on their computers arguing over this for days on end.
The inferiority you refer to with DTS at half-rate may well be true - on paper, but whether or not that will reflect your own listening experience is another matter entirely.
Several people I know here, whose opinions I have the highest respect for, will often prefer the sound of Dolby at 448 compared to DTS at 754. But when I listen on my own system, it is quite rare that I form the same opinion.
My system uses an outboard DTS decoder - a Millennium 2.4.6. This unit has been around for some time, but is still regarded as a nice quality unit. My amp is the Denon AVC-A1, the European equivalent of the AVR-5600. Very often (but not all the time), DTS soundtracks sound better on my system. That's just the way it is. Your mileage may vary. Listen, listen, listen, and form your own opinion. Don't fall into the trap of taking anyone else's viewpoint as gospel and certainly don't think that because a piece of paper says something that your opinion is wrong. Because how the track sounds through your own system may bring about a differing viewpoint and you are the person who is doing the listening.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
OK, OK.
I was looking for more technical info but as it has been pointed out, it's about 99% personal opinion (IMHO :))
I have received a bit of technical info from Pete (banned?)
My intention here was not to start another bout of rock throwing (see future post "Another bout of rock throwing")
blush.gif

------------------
...do not attempt this at home....

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm not going to argue which sounds better the only thing I'm going to say is that it depends on what you like. For example I preferred the DTS version of T2 compared to others who prefered the DD version. It all boils down to your preference.
-Keith-

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sean,
You can get DD demo discs with neat,spectacular intro logo's that were as good as or better than the dts logo's
I have several . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks