Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

More proof that dvds have gone mainstream...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:06 AM

My local library now has dvds available for borrowing. My brother informed me of this last night so I went there this morning to browse the selection. It looks like they've got about a hundred titles - half of these were checked out by the time I got there. Not surprisingly, it's a typical J6P selection with a few classics sprinkled throughout. I checked out Harvey and Silverado, BTW. Maybe I should make them a list of must-have titles... Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Wes Ray

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:15 AM

Don't forget to add a few horror titles to that list. I would recommend:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Halloween
Black Christmas
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Psycho
(the original)
Jaws
A Nightmare on Elm Street
In the Mouth of Madness

(and once it's released)
Suspiria

These are good classic titles that I think a library should keep in any respectible horror section. More people need to be introduced to these truly classic horror films. What better way than a local library?

And of course, make sure they pick up The Third Man. It's not a horror film, but a darn good movie. Posted Image Other suspense titles to add to your list would be The Usual Suspects and The Game.

These are just my thoughts.

[Edited last by Wes Ray on August 29, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:32 AM

A local library can be a great resource for DVD (as well as CD's, books, etc...). I have been utilizing ours for the past year or so. For me, it is a great way to preview DVD's free of charge before deciding whether or not to purchase them.

With regard to going mainstream. A year ago our library had about 150 DVD's. Today it has over 1400! Posted Image

------------------
The Dark Tower

Posted Image

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:37 AM

I'm thrilled DVD's going mainstream (even though I can't remember anyone saying otherwise)! Yeah, sure, the studios occasionally do stupid things (can you say Wonka?) but we put 'em right pretty damn quickly. Look at the upcoming 2-disc set of Scorsese's Cape Fear with DTS and DD and anamorphic picture for $26.98 (or is it $24.98?) Three years ago, it'd have almost certainly been one disc, non-anamorphic with 2.0 surround for $34.98, inkeeping with other Universal Collectors Editions. And now you can get them at your local library...that's the stuff!

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:38 AM

[quote]

With regard to going mainstream. A year ago our library had about 150 DVD's. Today it has over 1400!

[quote]

Jeff, that must be nice! I don't know what kind of budget my local library has for collecting dvds, but I'm sure any list I make would bust it!

------------------
Posted Image

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Ricky f

Ricky f

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:46 AM

I am really glad to hear this proof. We need DVD to go mainstream so some of those titles we all want on DVD might get a release in the future.

Regards,
Ricky

------------------

Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD

http://www.hometheat....ML/003344.html

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:52 AM

I am waiting for the "I-miss-the-good-old-days-when-ONLY-TRUE-FILM-LOVERS-where-concerned-with-this-format-we-felt-so-special" crowd to burst into this thread Posted Image

--
Holadem

[Edited last by Holadem on August 29, 2001 at 02:07 PM]

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 10:54 AM

There's a complaint thread here about Netflix's lack of Criterion selections. I found that some those "Long Wait" Criterions are available readily from my local library. They have been lending out DVDs for over a year now.

~Edwin

------------------
http://www.hometheat...L/005780.html#8
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 11:48 AM

My local library has had DVDs availible for loan for quite some time. And they actually have several Criterion titles, like Nights of Cabiria, Grand Illusion, and Unbearable Ligtness of Being. Unfortunately, like rental places, people don't know how to handle discs and are all scratched up to the point of being unplayable.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 12:12 PM

Here's some more "mainstream dvd" evidence. Just the other day I saw a commercial for one of those beds that folds and moves and contorts into all sorts of positions. Anyway, as a come-on for buying or requesting their informational tape, you could choose a free gift, one of which was a dvd player. Now I need to go call my local library.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,128 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:25 PM

At the risk of getting off-topic, I wonder if libraries would be a good place to start a grass-roots OAR education campaign. The analogy is simple and accurate: P&S => chopping top & bottom 1/3 of text of book pages. An attractive poster could be made by those with such skills, showing the example of, say, Star Wars P&S widescreen, and perhaps an equivalent book with 33% of the words missing. And since libraries (hopefully) care about the preservation of literary materials, they would be easy to convince to promote OAR in the video section. just a thought, anyway.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:42 PM

Even more proof...They are giving them away in boxes of cereal, here in Canada.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users