What's new

More proof that dvds have gone mainstream... (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
My local library now has dvds available for borrowing. My brother informed me of this last night so I went there this morning to browse the selection. It looks like they've got about a hundred titles - half of these were checked out by the time I got there. Not surprisingly, it's a typical J6P selection with a few classics sprinkled throughout. I checked out Harvey and Silverado, BTW. Maybe I should make them a list of must-have titles...
wink.gif

------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Don't forget to add a few horror titles to that list. I would recommend:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Halloween
Black Christmas
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Psycho (the original)
Jaws
A Nightmare on Elm Street
In the Mouth of Madness
(and once it's released)
Suspiria
These are good classic titles that I think a library should keep in any respectible horror section. More people need to be introduced to these truly classic horror films. What better way than a local library?
And of course, make sure they pick up The Third Man. It's not a horror film, but a darn good movie. :) Other suspense titles to add to your list would be The Usual Suspects and The Game.
These are just my thoughts.
[Edited last by Wes Ray on August 29, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
A local library can be a great resource for DVD (as well as CD's, books, etc...). I have been utilizing ours for the past year or so. For me, it is a great way to preview DVD's free of charge before deciding whether or not to purchase them.
With regard to going mainstream. A year ago our library had about 150 DVD's. Today it has over 1400!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm thrilled DVD's going mainstream (even though I can't remember anyone saying otherwise)! Yeah, sure, the studios occasionally do stupid things (can you say Wonka?) but we put 'em right pretty damn quickly.
Look at the upcoming 2-disc set of Scorsese's Cape Fear with DTS and DD and anamorphic picture for $26.98 (or is it $24.98?)
Three years ago, it'd have almost certainly been one disc, non-anamorphic with 2.0 surround for $34.98, inkeeping with other Universal Collectors Editions.
And now you can get them at your local library...that's the stuff!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
With regard to going mainstream. A year ago our library had about 150 DVD's. Today it has over 1400!
Jeff, that must be nice! I don't know what kind of budget my local library has for collecting dvds, but I'm sure any list I make would bust it!
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am waiting for the "I-miss-the-good-old-days-when-ONLY-TRUE-FILM-LOVERS-where-concerned-with-this-format-we-felt-so-special" crowd to burst into this thread
wink.gif

--
Holadem
[Edited last by Holadem on August 29, 2001 at 02:07 PM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
My local library has had DVDs availible for loan for quite some time. And they actually have several Criterion titles, like Nights of Cabiria, Grand Illusion, and Unbearable Ligtness of Being. Unfortunately, like rental places, people don't know how to handle discs and are all scratched up to the point of being unplayable.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Here's some more "mainstream dvd" evidence.
Just the other day I saw a commercial for one of those beds that folds and moves and contorts into all sorts of positions. Anyway, as a come-on for buying or requesting their informational tape, you could choose a free gift, one of which was a dvd player.
Now I need to go call my local library.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At the risk of getting off-topic, I wonder if libraries would be a good place to start a grass-roots OAR education campaign. The analogy is simple and accurate: P&S => chopping top & bottom 1/3 of text of book pages. An attractive poster could be made by those with such skills, showing the example of, say, Star Wars P&S widescreen, and perhaps an equivalent book with 33% of the words missing.
And since libraries (hopefully) care about the preservation of literary materials, they would be easy to convince to promote OAR in the video section.
just a thought, anyway.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Even more proof...They are giving them away in boxes of cereal, here in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks