Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Celery dipped in peanut butter: explain this to me

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:21 AM

Ok so I was in my local Trader Joe's, which is a hippie grocery store for those that don't know, and I come across small packaged trays that contain celery and a small dipping cup of peanut butter. Normally I'd buy the carrot and ranch dressing version of these things but they were out so I thought, what the hell, experiment a little. Be bold. Even though I've never eaten celery dipped in peanut butter I thought it was time to try it.

I tried it last night. It wasn't the worst thing I've eaten but I still didn't get the appeal of eating celery dipped in peanut butter. I mean out of all the foods to combine, celery and peanut butter?

What am I missing? Posted Image

#2 of 53 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:23 AM

We used to eat this as kids all of the time. Celery filled with PB and then raisins placed on top. I think they are called ants on a log. Celery with Cheeze Whiz is pretty tasty too.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:35 AM

I think I'd probably like celery and Cheese Whiz more than peanut butter.

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:35 AM

Hmmmmm, peanut butter. We used to eat this all the time as a kid, but without the raisins like Richard mentions. We also have Trader Joes around northern NJ. Been there, they have decent pre-made GORP and stuff like that for the granola crowd. Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:55 AM

Yeah, I've been eating celery w/ PB all my life.

Also, try PB on apple slices.

If you don't like PB on celery you probably won't like this either, but I like PB and dill pickle sandwiches.

Posted Image

JKS
You brought two too many.

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:01 AM

Ok, excuse my ignorance on this matter but would it be safe to say that eating celery and peanut butter together is an American/Canadian thing? Posted Image

Having spent my youth in Australia that combo never presented itself. Although I can imagine celery and Vegemite(hated that stuff!).

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:04 AM

[quote] Ok so I was in my local Trader Joe's, which is a hippie grocery store for those that don't know [quote] Hey, I spent 10 years of my life working up into management at those hippie stores. I am a TJ's food addict, they beat out any standard breed grocery store.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:09 AM

I think the whole thing has to do with nutrition. The celery is a vegetable, the raisins are fruit and the peanut butter is a protein. These were popular snacks for children to give them something good and fun to eat without all the crap (that packaged snack foods contain)

#9 of 53 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:15 AM

My grandmother used to do the same thing as Richard mentioned for me when I went off to school. She also called it ants on a log. I don't know where it started or came from, bu I do think it's tasty.

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:16 AM

Yes celery and PB is very common among kids here in the US. I'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't tried it.

[quote] but I like PB and dill pickle sandwiches [quote]
Posted Image Very tasty indeed. Peanut butter and bananas go well together also.

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,678 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:21 AM

Thread Drift!!!! Peanut Butter and ice cream is my favorite, BTW.. And I hate those celery strings that always get caught in your teeth... Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:23 AM

Peanut Butter and Celery is quite good IMHO. I used to eat that alot as a kid. Something my mother liked was Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches. I didn't like it but her and my brother did.

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:26 AM

[quote] Hey, I spent 10 years of my life working up into management at those hippie stores. I am a TJ's food addict, they beat out any standard breed grocery store. [quote]

Oh I love TJ's, don't get me wrong! Every Sunday morning I'm there. The wine I often refer to is bought from there. I tried to find an appropriate term to describe them, like 'healthy food store' or something similar but somehow I arrived at 'hippie grocery store'. I basically am a hippie with my long hair and the music I listen to. Posted Image

Ron, I've always heard that working at TJ's reaps many rewards in terms of monetary investments for their employees. I also heard they get paid a lot. Is any of that stuff true?

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:26 AM

If you were to replace the celery with chocolate, you might just be onto something there. I may have to try that some time.

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,362 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:43 AM

It's a stoner classic.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:25 AM

Gary, a hippie grocery store? I'd call Trader Joe's a faux trendy/California phenomenon, though I'd rate Whole Foods markets as far more pretentious and New Agey.

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:36 AM

LOL ok ok bad choice of words. I've seen plenty of tattooed vixens and punk rockers in TJ's too so it's not exactly a pure hippie grocery store.

How about Funky Organic New Age Grocery Store? Posted Image

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:43 AM

But ... but that's the best way to describe your typical Whole Foods "supermarket," where everything is overpriced and you can't even find a decent jar of Kraft Mayo (instead, and I'm not making this up, you can find soy-based "Goddess Mayonaise"). While all the women who frequent the two Whole Foods markets near me look as if they stepped out of a fashion magazine, the rest of the store is so damn offputting. Trader Joe's is so much better and in sync with reality. Hell, there's even a Trader Joe's opening in, of all places, Palmdale!

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:55 AM

2 (of the 3) Trader Joes here in CT are in Yuppie towns (i.e. Darien and Norwalk). It's not uncommon to see Hum V's and Beemers pulling into the parking lot. EDIT 3 of the 5 (add Fairfield to the list)

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 08:16 AM

[quote] Ron, I've always heard that working at TJ's reaps many rewards in terms of monetary investments for their employees. I also heard they get paid a lot. Is any of that stuff true? [quote]
It's all very true. TJ's takes very good care of all their employees, even the PT's get excellent wages and raises can be had every 3 months. Add to that the health coverage and 401k plans, it's a great company to work for. I got out to peruse a different career, but managers at most stores will pull-in between 110k-150k easily, plus yearly bonuses. I attribute all this to it still being a family owned company, if the unions took over (which they tried to do while I was there) it would not be nearly as great a place to work for.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users