Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Celery dipped in peanut butter: explain this to me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:21 AM

Ok so I was in my local Trader Joe's, which is a hippie grocery store for those that don't know, and I come across small packaged trays that contain celery and a small dipping cup of peanut butter. Normally I'd buy the carrot and ranch dressing version of these things but they were out so I thought, what the hell, experiment a little. Be bold. Even though I've never eaten celery dipped in peanut butter I thought it was time to try it.

I tried it last night. It wasn't the worst thing I've eaten but I still didn't get the appeal of eating celery dipped in peanut butter. I mean out of all the foods to combine, celery and peanut butter?

What am I missing? Posted Image

#2 of 53 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,423 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:23 AM

We used to eat this as kids all of the time. Celery filled with PB and then raisins placed on top. I think they are called ants on a log.
Celery with Cheeze Whiz is pretty tasty too.

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:35 AM

I think I'd probably like celery and Cheese Whiz more than peanut butter.

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,641 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:35 AM

Hmmmmm, peanut butter. We used to eat this all the time as a kid, but without the raisins like Richard mentions. We also have Trader Joes around northern NJ. Been there, they have decent pre-made GORP and stuff like that for the granola crowd.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:55 AM

Yeah, I've been eating celery w/ PB all my life.

Also, try PB on apple slices.

If you don't like PB on celery you probably won't like this either, but I like PB and dill pickle sandwiches.

Posted Image

JKS
You brought two too many.

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:01 AM

Ok, excuse my ignorance on this matter but would it be safe to say that eating celery and peanut butter together is an American/Canadian thing? Posted Image

Having spent my youth in Australia that combo never presented itself. Although I can imagine celery and Vegemite(hated that stuff!).

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:04 AM

Quote:
Ok so I was in my local Trader Joe's, which is a hippie grocery store for those that don't know
Hey, I spent 10 years of my life working up into management at those hippie stores. I am a TJ's food addict, they beat out any standard breed grocery store.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:09 AM

I think the whole thing has to do with nutrition. The celery is a vegetable, the raisins are fruit and the peanut butter is a protein.

These were popular snacks for children to give them something good and fun to eat without all the crap (that packaged snack foods contain)

#9 of 53 OFFLINE   StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,514 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:15 AM

My grandmother used to do the same thing as Richard mentioned for me when I went off to school. She also called it ants on a log. I don't know where it started or came from, bu I do think it's tasty.

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:16 AM

Yes celery and PB is very common among kids here in the US. I'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't tried it.

Quote:
but I like PB and dill pickle sandwiches

Posted Image Very tasty indeed. Peanut butter and bananas go well together also.

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,641 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:21 AM

Thread Drift!!!!

Peanut Butter and ice cream is my favorite, BTW..

And I hate those celery strings that always get caught in your teeth...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:23 AM

Peanut Butter and Celery is quite good IMHO. I used to eat that alot as a kid.

Something my mother liked was Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches. I didn't like it but her and my brother did.

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:26 AM

Quote:
Hey, I spent 10 years of my life working up into management at those hippie stores. I am a TJ's food addict, they beat out any standard breed grocery store.

Oh I love TJ's, don't get me wrong! Every Sunday morning I'm there. The wine I often refer to is bought from there. I tried to find an appropriate term to describe them, like 'healthy food store' or something similar but somehow I arrived at 'hippie grocery store'. I basically am a hippie with my long hair and the music I listen to. Posted Image

Ron, I've always heard that working at TJ's reaps many rewards in terms of monetary investments for their employees. I also heard they get paid a lot. Is any of that stuff true?

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:26 AM

If you were to replace the celery with chocolate, you might just be onto something there. I may have to try that some time.

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,332 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:43 AM

It's a stoner classic.

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:25 AM

Gary, a hippie grocery store? I'd call Trader Joe's a faux trendy/California phenomenon, though I'd rate Whole Foods markets as far more pretentious and New Agey.

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:36 AM

LOL ok ok bad choice of words. I've seen plenty of tattooed vixens and punk rockers in TJ's too so it's not exactly a pure hippie grocery store.

How about Funky Organic New Age Grocery Store? Posted Image

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:43 AM

How about Funky Organic New Age Grocery Store?

But ... but that's the best way to describe your typical Whole Foods "supermarket," where everything is overpriced and you can't even find a decent jar of Kraft Mayo (instead, and I'm not making this up, you can find soy-based "Goddess Mayonaise"). While all the women who frequent the two Whole Foods markets near me look as if they stepped out of a fashion magazine, the rest of the store is so damn offputting. Trader Joe's is so much better and in sync with reality. Hell, there's even a Trader Joe's opening in, of all places, Palmdale!

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 07:55 AM

2 (of the 3) Trader Joes here in CT are in Yuppie towns (i.e. Darien and Norwalk).

It's not uncommon to see Hum V's and Beemers pulling into the parking lot.

EDIT 3 of the 5 (add Fairfield to the list)

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Ron, I've always heard that working at TJ's reaps many rewards in terms of monetary investments for their employees. I also heard they get paid a lot. Is any of that stuff true?

It's all very true. TJ's takes very good care of all their employees, even the PT's get excellent wages and raises can be had every 3 months. Add to that the health coverage and 401k plans, it's a great company to work for. I got out to peruse a different career, but managers at most stores will pull-in between 110k-150k easily, plus yearly bonuses. I attribute all this to it still being a family owned company, if the unions took over (which they tried to do while I was there) it would not be nearly as great a place to work for.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow