Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any Disney DVD sequels worth picking up?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Allen

Brandon Allen

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 02:25 PM

Any suggestions for the Direct-to-video or sequels that actually made it to the theaters worth picking up on DVD...thanks.

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 05:50 PM

I always thought the Aladdin sequels were decent, but I don't think either is available on DVD. Just avoid Little Mermaid 2 like the plague.
My Collection

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Allen

Brandon Allen

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 06:33 PM

We always have little brothers/sisters over and I usually let them watch most of the originals (that have at least made it to DVD), I've added only Lion King 2. Look forward to the upcoming Aladdin (platinum) DVD. Sounds like I will skip that little mermaid sequel...thanks.

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:45 AM

I've watched 101 Dalmations 2 with my daughter a couple of times and enjoyed it. It's no classic, but probably the best of the sequels I've seen.
John - My DVDs

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Alex S

Alex S

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 12:57 AM

Lady and The Tramp II is good.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:12 AM

I just bought "Stitch! The Movie" last week. It's pretty good and my 3 year old likes it better than the first. That's my benchmark!

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 01:32 AM

My daughter liked The Little Mermaid II. Lady and the Tramp II is pretty decent. I thought Cinderella II was bad, and that The Hunchback of Notre Dame II was just awful. The Lion King II is okay, though nowhere near as good as the original.

I haven't watched the others yet.

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Jim Moore

Jim Moore

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:00 AM

Lion King II and Stitch are two of their better direct-to-video/dvd releases.

On a side note, isn't anyone else tired of seeing it spelled "Di$ney"? What was once humorous is now a stale joke and just plain irritating. (As if other movie companies are not ultimately about $$$.)

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:10 AM

I actually enjoyed Cinderella II. Not a classic by far, but cute.

[quote] I just bought "Stitch! The Movie" last week. It's pretty good and my 3 year old likes it better than the first. That's my benchmark! [quote]
gotta agree. Check out my review of this disc in the review-archive section. Really worth getting IMO.

-dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 02:22 AM

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing (about the sequels). Based on reviews I saw, Tarzan 2 was adequate and Alantis 2 was rated as poor (not even one 80 min story, but collection of a few short stories). I bought a used copy of Hunchback 2 and was pleasantly surprise that it was a decent story (animation was a bit rough though).

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Allen

Brandon Allen

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies...Besides purchasing Sleeping Beauty today, maybe I will pick up one of these recommendations. And yes...I agree that the dollar sign is a bit overused, but sometimes habit forming when typing... Thanks again!

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:00 AM

There are not many worth picking up in my opinion although I have some. When you have kids sometimes there is little choice. I personally liked Lion King 2 and I just about hated every other one that came out.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:11 AM

I refuse to buy them, but my wife keeps bringing them home, putting them on for the kids, and saying how much they suck. They're awful. Mike

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 453 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:37 AM

I really liked "Lady and the Tramp II". It's actually a pretty nice DVD, with DTS and a commentary. Even the game is fun (for kids), and has some replay value. The animation, while not up to the quality of the original, is very nicely done, and not as "jarring" as Tarzan II and Atlantis II. "Lion King II: Simba's Pride" is also well done. And "Peter Pan II" is above average, especially the first 20 minutes. Personally, I avoid Tarzan II, Atlantis II, Cinderella II, Hunchback II, and, above all else, "Pocahontas II"! "The Buzz Lightyear Movie" is kind of fun for kids. It's worth checking out to hear William Shatner sing the theme song over the end credits. They were even able to sneak in a joke about forced trailers on videos and DVD's!

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   Erwin

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 04:44 AM

*Little Mermaid 2 (not bad; decent animation and the original actors) If you can find it.

*The Return of Peter Pan- I actually like it better than the original. It also can be hard to find.

*Lady and the Tramp II- it's OK, kids will like it more, but it's good to have in a collection being that it costs less than $15. Some of the songs are very tacky (it had dts sound Posted Image , but several of the releases by Disney do)

*101 Dalmations II- Very good, probably one of the best. It seems more like it could have been released in theaters.

*Rescuers Down Under- Disney's first sequel. It's decent, it has George C. Scott as the voice of a new villian. Another DVD under $15.

*Jungle Book 2- Excellent sequel. Kids and adults will like this one.

*Lion King 2- Another good one.

*Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas is ok for kids, but will drive most adults crazy due to it's new "developed at the last minute" characters. This was the first Disney animated sequel on DVD and I believe it's the first Disney animated DVD. Can you believe this thing once retailed for $35? I got it in one of those free Disney DVD offers, I love those offers.

Sequels that should be avoided or worth a rental only:
Cindella II, Atlantis: Milo's Return, Tarzan & Jane (the worst), Stitch, Pocahontas 2

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Jim-M

Jim-M

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 05:28 AM

Little Mermaid 2 - OK if you can't find the original, no need to own otherwise. Return to Never Land - I might like this more than the original. Pretty good. Lady and the Tramp II - Pretty good. Decent substitute if you can't find the original. 101 Dalmatians II - OK. Have the original which is much better. Decided not to own this. Jungle Book 2 - Kids liked it OK, we like the original much better. We have the original so didn't get this one. Lion King 2 - OK, but much darker than the original. Got it because Lion King wasn't available. Tarzan & Jane - Kids like, animated shadows drive me crazy. Basically 3 episodes of the TV show (that didn't air) glued together. I'd recommend to skip this one.

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   RyanChristoffel

RyanChristoffel

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 05:45 AM

In my opinion The Lion King II: Simba's Pride and Peter Pan in Return to Neverland are the best. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas and Stitch!: The Movie are just a step below those two. Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure and 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure are decent but certainly not classics in any sense. And finally, Cinderella II: Dreams Come True and the Aladdin sequels are just plain bad.

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 08:44 AM

I was surprised to learn that Hunchback 1 is 16x9 despite not being listed on the box. Could anyone comment on which of sequels are 16x9?

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,392 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 09:01 AM

I've seen all of the ones on DVD, but I'd only recommend three. In order of quality from best to worst: 1) Buzz Lightyear 2) 101 Dalmatians II 3) Stitch! The rest are passable to terrible.
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted September 09 2003 - 10:29 AM

I have both Peter Pan 2 and Rescuers Down Under. Of the two, I prefer Peter Pan 2, mainly because I quite like the sequence involving Hook kidnapping Jane during the air raid ( personally, I think the movie should have ended with Pan saving Jane's father from a Nazi POW camp but that's just me ). Rescuers Down Under is quite reasonable and the animation looks great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users