What's new

Any Disney DVD sequels worth picking up? (1 Viewer)

Any suggestions for the Direct-to-video or sequels that actually made it to the theaters worth picking up on DVD...thanks.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I always thought the Aladdin sequels were decent, but I don't think either is available on DVD. Just avoid Little Mermaid 2 like the plague.

We always have little brothers/sisters over and I usually let them watch most of the originals (that have at least made it to DVD), I've added only Lion King 2. Look forward to the upcoming Aladdin (platinum) DVD. Sounds like I will skip that little mermaid sequel...thanks.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched 101 Dalmations 2 with my daughter a couple of times and enjoyed it. It's no classic, but probably the best of the sequels I've seen.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I just bought "Stitch! The Movie" last week. It's pretty good and my 3 year old likes it better than the first. That's my benchmark!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
My daughter liked The Little Mermaid II. Lady and the Tramp II is pretty decent. I thought Cinderella II was bad, and that The Hunchback of Notre Dame II was just awful. The Lion King II is okay, though nowhere near as good as the original.

I haven't watched the others yet.

Jim Moore

Agent
Lion King II and Stitch are two of their better direct-to-video/dvd releases.

On a side note, isn't anyone else tired of seeing it spelled "Di$ney"? What was once humorous is now a stale joke and just plain irritating. (As if other movie companies are not ultimately about $$$.)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed Cinderella II. Not a classic by far, but cute.

I just bought "Stitch! The Movie" last week. It's pretty good and my 3 year old likes it better than the first. That's my benchmark!
gotta agree. Check out my review of this disc in the review-archive section. Really worth getting IMO.

-dave

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Funny, I was just wondering the same thing (about the sequels).

Based on reviews I saw, Tarzan 2 was adequate and Alantis 2 was rated as poor (not even one 80 min story, but collection of a few short stories).

I bought a used copy of Hunchback 2 and was pleasantly surprise that it was a decent story (animation was a bit rough though).

Thanks for all the replies...Besides purchasing Sleeping Beauty today, maybe I will pick up one of these recommendations.

And yes...I agree that the dollar sign is a bit overused, but sometimes habit forming when typing...

Thanks again!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There are not many worth picking up in my opinion although I have some. When you have kids sometimes there is little choice. I personally liked Lion King 2 and I just about hated every other one that came out.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I refuse to buy them, but my wife keeps bringing them home, putting them on for the kids, and saying how much they suck. They're awful.

Mike

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I really liked "Lady and the Tramp II". It's actually a pretty nice DVD, with DTS and a commentary. Even the game is fun (for kids), and has some replay value. The animation, while not up to the quality of the original, is very nicely done, and not as "jarring" as Tarzan II and Atlantis II.

"Lion King II: Simba's Pride" is also well done. And "Peter Pan II" is above average, especially the first 20 minutes.

Personally, I avoid Tarzan II, Atlantis II, Cinderella II, Hunchback II, and, above all else, "Pocahontas II"!

"The Buzz Lightyear Movie" is kind of fun for kids. It's worth checking out to hear William Shatner sing the theme song over the end credits. They were even able to sneak in a joke about forced trailers on videos and DVD's!

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
*Little Mermaid 2 (not bad; decent animation and the original actors) If you can find it.

*The Return of Peter Pan- I actually like it better than the original. It also can be hard to find.

*Lady and the Tramp II- it's OK, kids will like it more, but it's good to have in a collection being that it costs less than $15. Some of the songs are very tacky (it had dts sound :) , but several of the releases by Disney do)

*101 Dalmations II- Very good, probably one of the best. It seems more like it could have been released in theaters.

*Rescuers Down Under- Disney's first sequel. It's decent, it has George C. Scott as the voice of a new villian. Another DVD under $15.

*Jungle Book 2- Excellent sequel. Kids and adults will like this one.

*Lion King 2- Another good one.

*Beauty and the Beast: Enchanted Christmas is ok for kids, but will drive most adults crazy due to it's new "developed at the last minute" characters. This was the first Disney animated sequel on DVD and I believe it's the first Disney animated DVD. Can you believe this thing once retailed for $35? I got it in one of those free Disney DVD offers, I love those offers.

Sequels that should be avoided or worth a rental only:
Cindella II, Atlantis: Milo's Return, Tarzan & Jane (the worst), Stitch, Pocahontas 2

Jim-M

Second Unit
Little Mermaid 2 - OK if you can't find the original, no need to own otherwise.
Return to Never Land - I might like this more than the original. Pretty good.
Lady and the Tramp II - Pretty good. Decent substitute if you can't find the original.
101 Dalmatians II - OK. Have the original which is much better. Decided not to own this.
Jungle Book 2 - Kids liked it OK, we like the original much better. We have the original so didn't get this one.
Lion King 2 - OK, but much darker than the original. Got it because Lion King wasn't available.
Tarzan & Jane - Kids like, animated shadows drive me crazy. Basically 3 episodes of the TV show (that didn't air) glued together. I'd recommend to skip this one.

In my opinion The Lion King II: Simba's Pride and Peter Pan in Return to Neverland are the best. Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas and Stitch!: The Movie are just a step below those two. Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure and 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure are decent but certainly not classics in any sense. And finally, Cinderella II: Dreams Come True and the Aladdin sequels are just plain bad.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was surprised to learn that Hunchback 1 is 16x9 despite not being listed on the box.

Could anyone comment on which of sequels are 16x9?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've seen all of the ones on DVD, but I'd only recommend three. In order of quality from best to worst:

1) Buzz Lightyear

2) 101 Dalmatians II

3) Stitch!

The rest are passable to terrible.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I have both Peter Pan 2 and Rescuers Down Under.
Of the two, I prefer Peter Pan 2, mainly because I quite like the sequence involving Hook kidnapping Jane during the air raid ( personally, I think the movie should have ended with Pan saving Jane's father from a Nazi POW camp but that's just me ).
Rescuers Down Under is quite reasonable and the animation looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks