What's new

ESPN HD aspect problem? (1 Viewer)

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I checked out ESPN HD which Comcast just added to my area. It seems as if I am getting a regular feed that is a bit stretched to cover the 16x9 field. Anyone else experience that?

I checked for user errors-I have the HD input chosen & the right aspect as well. Actually, none of the 4 aspect choices on my Hitachi Ultravision make this channel look right.

does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
They are simulcasting the regular channel unless they have a scheduled HD broadcast on. The simulcast is in stretch-o-vision and no amount of complaining has been able to get them to change it.

Supposedly, when they finish building a new facility for HD, they will have more HD on, and Sportcenter will be in HD. It would be nice if they did away with stretch-o-vision at that point, but I'm not holding my breath.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I was wondering about this. I've had this channel for 2 months and I don't think I've seen actual HD on it yet. Does anyone know if their Sunday Night football games are in HD?

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
they only thing as of yet I've seen in true HD on this channel was a Phillies game a little while ago. You can go there website and they have a schedule of HD content that will be on, its basically less than a show a day right now and yes there strech-o-vision is quite annoying.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Until they correct for the stretching of 4:3 programs you can watch ESPN on the 4:3 analog cable channel.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Yes, all Sunday Night ESPN games will be HD.

ESPN-HD Schedule

All non-HD 4:3 programming is stretched as noted above, a really stupid move on their part. It deprives us from viewing in OAR or using our own stretch modes if desired. Nothing you can do about it.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It deprives us from viewing in OAR or using our own stretch modes if desired.
Actually, I appreciate the stretch mode. When fed a signal through my HD cable box, my TV locks into FULL mode, thereby preventing me from stretching any 4:3 content. I like the 4:3 stretched so I don't get uneven wear on the TV.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
My TV locks in FULL mode for the HD (or upconverted) input too, but I'd still rather have the 4:3 material in OAR because their stretch isn't too good.

I do use the "Natural Wide" mode of my Pioneer RPTV for everyday TV viewing, but I don't mind having the black side bars some of the time. I figure there are enough other times when I have black letterbox bars on top and bottom, plus my contrast/brightness settings are safely set to avoid burn-in issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks