-

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN HD aspect problem?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ed Faver

Ed Faver

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 01:16 AM

I checked out ESPN HD which Comcast just added to my area. It seems as if I am getting a regular feed that is a bit stretched to cover the 16x9 field. Anyone else experience that?

I checked for user errors-I have the HD input chosen & the right aspect as well. Actually, none of the 4 aspect choices on my Hitachi Ultravision make this channel look right.

does this sound familiar to anyone else?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Al Shing

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 05:56 AM

They are simulcasting the regular channel unless they have a scheduled HD broadcast on. The simulcast is in stretch-o-vision and no amount of complaining has been able to get them to change it.

Supposedly, when they finish building a new facility for HD, they will have more HD on, and Sportcenter will be in HD. It would be nice if they did away with stretch-o-vision at that point, but I'm not holding my breath.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 06:43 AM

I was wondering about this. I've had this channel for 2 months and I don't think I've seen actual HD on it yet. Does anyone know if their Sunday Night football games are in HD?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 07:36 AM

they only thing as of yet I've seen in true HD on this channel was a Phillies game a little while ago. You can go there website and they have a schedule of HD content that will be on, its basically less than a show a day right now and yes there strech-o-vision is quite annoying.
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 10:40 AM

Until they correct for the stretching of 4:3 programs you can watch ESPN on the 4:3 analog cable channel.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 12:21 PM

Yes, all Sunday Night ESPN games will be HD.

ESPN-HD Schedule

All non-HD 4:3 programming is stretched as noted above, a really stupid move on their part. It deprives us from viewing in OAR or using our own stretch modes if desired. Nothing you can do about it.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 07 2003 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
It deprives us from viewing in OAR or using our own stretch modes if desired.

Actually, I appreciate the stretch mode. When fed a signal through my HD cable box, my TV locks into FULL mode, thereby preventing me from stretching any 4:3 content. I like the 4:3 stretched so I don't get uneven wear on the TV.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,125 posts

Posted September 08 2003 - 02:59 AM

My TV locks in FULL mode for the HD (or upconverted) input too, but I'd still rather have the 4:3 material in OAR because their stretch isn't too good.

I do use the "Natural Wide" mode of my Pioneer RPTV for everyday TV viewing, but I don't mind having the black side bars some of the time. I figure there are enough other times when I have black letterbox bars on top and bottom, plus my contrast/brightness settings are safely set to avoid burn-in issues.