What's new

Will this system fit in a dorm room? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
I want to put together this system now, but I'm going to college next fall. Any current college guys have an opinion on if this will work in a dorm or not?
5 nohr 4.0s - 15 inches deep
Adire Rava sub 18" cube
I hope they will fit because I had my heart set on the norhs.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Well do you know how big your room is going to be?
Be careful with that sub...some people are gonna get pretty pissed off :)

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
At this point i've only seen pictures of a few of the possibilities. I'm going to U of M. I'm also wondering how smart it is to put $2000 worth of equipment in a dorm.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Don't get me wrong...I'm sure that is a killer setup...but maybe overkill for a dorm room! Keep in mind that you will need receiver, cd player, dvd player etc...
But if you've got the room and you've got the cash, I am sure you will enjoy it...even if your neighbors may not!!!

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know what the deal is out there but in CA you are in the dorms for one year and then you are in an apartment. I like my HT in the apartment. If you are gona spend the cash dont cut back just for one year of being cramped.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

BryanZ

Screenwriter
That may be overkill for the dorm room. You may want to go with a pair of SM 6.1s and the 4.0 center for now. Get a cheap pair of KLH speakers (or other brand) you can wall mount and keep the Rava sub. You can get the rear 4.0s later.
My main concern would be placement of the surround speakers. If you are able to place the surrounds on top of bookshelves or on a shelf then it should be fine. Just watch the volume.
Also get renters insurance and pictures of all your equipment as soon as you have everything installed. Better to have it than not to. One more things, write down the serial/model numbers of all your equipment and make a list of all your software (dvds, cds). A complete inventory is a PITA but it will go a long way if anything is ever stolen from you. BTW, give a copy of that to your parents or someone you can trust. If everything goes up in flames you have that backup copy to fall back on.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I am in college at Texas Tech. I have a hometheater and so do a lot of freinds. THe way our rooms are set up they are perfect for hometheater. I couldn't ask for a better setup room. It is completely symmetrical. I have a fairly good sized sub (homemade with sonance amp and focal sub). I put the sub under my desk, I put the mains (about 15 inches high and 9 inches wide)on the TV shelf, and put the rears on a shelf in the back of the room. THe good thing about my room is that all of the furniture is built in anf set up perfect for surround sound. I guess Im lucky.
But, I think you will definately have room, just make sure it is ok with your roomate if you use his side of the room for some of the equipment. My romate is cool with it and he feels lucky to have a free hometheater (due to me buying all of it).
Later

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
Thanks for all of the responses guys.
I'm getting an Onkyo TX-DS595, and a Sony NC600 5 disc DVD/CD changer. I didn't list them because I wasn't worried about their size. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by overkill for a dorm, I'm going for quality, so I'm not sure how you could have too much of it. The rear surrounds were probably my biggest fear, I could probably just throw them wherever I have space.
The SM 6.1s are just plain big. A pair of those plus a 4.0 center would be more than 5 4.0s. $875 vs. $850. And I would still need surrounds, so I think I'll stick with the 5 4.0s. Hopefully my roomate will have some expensive stuff too so we can be of like mind when it comes to security. Thanks again for the input.
[Edited last by Ryan Bush on November 16, 2001 at 04:38 PM]

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I meant "overkill" in the sense that they would be hard to place in a very small room (particularly the rears). From what I understand, the nOrh's need some room in the back...but I could be wrong about that.
But in the long run it probably wouldn't hurt to have those nOrh's...

Chris_W

Grip
I live in the dorms at UCB and I have a pare of Infinity RS-8's. I'm not familiar with the speakers that you are talking about, but be careful not to get anything too large for your surrounds. In the dorms here, the only space for one of mine is having it wedged between my headboard of my bed and the wall. The main tower speakers are a little bulky, but after some rearrangements they fit. You might want to consider waiting on the sub. It will annoy people and is not that necessary in a dorm room if you have decent mains. Also, at least here, there is no room under the desk for anything larger than perhaps one of those shitty subs that come with computer speakers. Its definately worth having a good speaker system, but unless you go to a crappy school like Stanfurd (sorry, its a rivalry thing) you're prob not going to have a lot of room. As far as DVD player etc, I'd recommend using a computer for that for now. You only need a reciever. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, the most important thing would be to find out the exact measurements of the dorm rooms that you'll be stuck in for a year. My dorm last year was incredibly small, and there was no way that I could have fit a setup like the one you are planning within it. The departments in charge of housing should be able to provide you with documentation.
Also about the sub, this might be a problem, but you won't find out until you actually are in the dorm. In my case, my room was in between the bathrooms and some cool neighbors, so we never had an issue. But if you get in between some people that like to complain because of some serious bass emanating from your room, you might not get to enjoy the sub as often as you would now.
I can see your kinda in a tough spot, but good luck to you!

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
If you going to get the system get the system, don't worry about where your going to set it up, that will come to you.
Aboive all do not compromise your system due to space factors, you will find a way to make it all fit. I mean hell thats what living in a dorm room is all about. I have never seen better space management then I did last year living in the dorms. If there is just no place to put them, then put them somewhere that you can listen to music well, and stick the rears where ever and just pull them out for movies. Yeah your calibration is going to suck. What seriously, your roommate will already think your a freak for spending so much on a sound system without you going and pulling out the SPL meter.
Then, find yourself a better place for later on, where you can actualy get things setup. It will be much easier to do this when you are going to be living with people that you knwo and who will understand your 'special need'. I swear some people just don't understand the concept of an even sound field, you can't just stick speakers "whereever. . . "
The bottom line is get what you want, you will be able to figure out how to fit it all once you get moved in. Trust me, there is ALWAYS space for more stuff. . .

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
Maybe I should have mentioned my 27" TV also. I don't think the mains or center will be a problem. This system is going to be in 2.1 mode about 70% of the time, because I always listen to music. The surrounds can go wherever they'll fit. As far as the sub goes, I think I really need it to fill out the bottom end for music. I listen to every type of music under the sun except country. Just because I have it, it doesn't mean it has to be loud. I think listening at reasonable levels won't be a problem. I think the sub needs to be included because the nOrhs roll off at 65Hz.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am going to college next year and I am running into the same problems... I have pretty much decided to ditch my TV for a 19" - 21" monitor, a TV Card, a software DVD player, and Sound Blaster Audigy digital out to my reciever that will handle all my sound... something to think about... of course where I am looking to go to college (FSU, UCF, Florida Tech) the rooms are all about 11x22
biggrin.gif

------------------

bebop.jpg

Get Sea Lab 2021 on DVD!
My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba da ba Bebop Cola...yeah" -Sealab 2021

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I have an entire home theater set up in my dorm room and it fits perfect. Along with my equipment, I have a full size couch with dual recliners in it. But, I am living by myself. The great thing about being an RA!
I do have one suggestion, Build lofts!! They will give you sooo much more room. You'd just be amazed!
But good luck with whatever you do!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
The 4.0's need about 6 inches of space between the rear port & a wall. For a ported speaker, they are quite insensitive to placement issues. One cool thing is that since they have such amazing off-axis response, you can mount the rear 4.0's sideways (pointing at each other, instead of pointing forward), and you still get really good rear surround. This cuts down on space requirements a LOT for the rears. Hope this helps. . .

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'm a freshman at TCU with a decent HT. right now i have:
Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV speaker set (got it for free and soon to be upgraded to JBL NSP1) with an SVS 25-31PC
biggrin.gif
also running:
Panasonic RP91
Sony SCD-CE775
Marantz CC-4000
Onkyo 595
2 pair of Sennheiser headphones (a MUST for a dorm room; one pair is wireless)
watching it all on my 19" computer monitor
next steps for me are:
27"-32" TV (next fall)
Paradigm Studio 40s + Studio CC (fall '03

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
oh btw- i rationalized my SVS purchase b/c it stands vertical and therefore takes up less floorspace. it will sit nicely behind an angled bed in a corner or (in my case) against a corner with the end of the bed acting as a 3rd wall. (i hope i explained that well enough) anyways, SVS has the right design for me and WOW does it put out some bass!!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Benny G

Second Unit
Ahhh..
Well, I'm a junior at Michigan State and I live in a 12x12 dorm room. I have a full HT setup, and it works just fine. The only real problem I have is that I can't move the mains as far out to the side as I'd like.
I'm sure you'll have no problem fitting that stuff into a dorm room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks