What's new

BEST BUY: 4X DVD Burner $149 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I just came by this thread at AVS.
Tim is also a HTF member.
So I will just cut-paste the info.

Best buy has a Digital Research 4x DVD +R/W for $149 with rebates. Lowest I've seen so far.

Here is the kicker, I got it home and when I opened up the box..... a small note from Digital Research stating that I've been given a "FREE UPGRADE", the drive has been changed to be a +- R rather than just a +R, just for being a loyal customer. Quite a bonus!!! Already burned my first DVD.
UPC# or mfgr part number from the box.
DDVDRW4
UPC 42649 01516

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=289314

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Man, I've been wanting to pick one of these up. I wonder if all of them are +-...

Hmm...

Glen

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
www.pricegrabber.com new OEM NEC 1300A, dual format, $151 plus shipping and tax (if applicable). If I were you, I would wait, as the price of dual format stuff has dropped by about 25% in less than one month. Earlier in the year, when Sony dual format was still going for $275 (lowest found), I predicted (on the HTPC section) the NEC or equivalent brand dual format will be just under $200 by around this time, and so far, the price has been dropping a lot faster than I expected.

JoseEduardo

Second Unit
I'm sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean when you say the drive has been upgraded to +-R???
Thanks!

:b

ReneR

Auditioning
I purchased one of the DVD drives yesterday, sadly mine was not the upgrade model.:frowning:

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean when you say the drive has been upgraded to +-R???
Those are 2 of the major DVD writing/rewriting formats. There's DVD-R/RW which is supported by Pioneer and a few others. Then, there's DVD+R/RW which is supported by Phillips, Sony, HP and Dell. Both formats claim compatibility with most regular DVD players. However, I have found the DVD-R format to work better with my own players. YMMV.

If you already knew all that and was asking how a drive could be upgraded from only -R to -/+R, I assume they just put in the upgraded -/+R drive in the box.

Glen

Brian Teal

Grip
You can get a NEC 1300A (4X +/-) drive for $150 shipped. Check out futurepowerpc.com.

The 4x drives have been falling drastically in price the past few months.

Edit: Didn't see Steve's post! He is right on.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
This looks very much like the burner in a deal offered by http://www.dvdxcopy.com/default.asp?a=0 bundling with a DVDXCOPY software package earlier last week! I think their price came out to about $240. The OEM brand I believe is a BenQ model DW400A DVD+R/+RW burner.

I wonder if many 8x burners are hitting the streets before January with the pricing coming down so low already?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Paul, you may want to go to tigerdirect.com and check their DVD section, they are a partner of DVDXCOPY (aka 321studio), sometimes their deals are even better.
Don't know about 8x, but Toshiba 4.8x is on the market now and the premium (over 4x) is not that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks