What's new

Movies you hated the first time, but gave a second chance. (1 Viewer)

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
HEy all,

After a few long discusions with my wife about this topic, I am deciding to throw it out there. How many of you have watched a movie and hated i. BUt at a later date gave it another go, and tuned out liking it.

My wife will absolutely not watch a movie she dislikes again. She calims that if it sucked the first time, it will always suck. But my side of is as such. Have you ever been in just an off mood when watchig a flick. Or got a movie that turned out to be something totally different than you expected on the initial watching, and this squewed you perspective of it.

I find this happening to me more and more frequently. The first instance I can remember is seeing Pulp Fiction in the theater, and I just hated it. Who the hell tells a story out of order, how stupid is that, I was thinking when I walked out, thouroughly disappointed. Just didn't get the hype and public love of the film. Well about a year after it was on video, I rented it as a freind had not seen it yet, and ended up wondering, what the hell was I thinking, this is supurb film making. And now own it, and love it.

But, on the flip side of the coin. I had the same situation with the Big Lebowski, didn't like it, gave it a year and watched it again, and still don't like it.

So what are your thoughts on this. Any stinkers turn out being golden for you down the line? Or have you gien a flick a second chance and still hate it? Just curious.

Krys

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I figured it applied better to this section, as most people wont go see a movie a second time in the theater if they though it sucks. But will maybe see it again when it hit home video.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Back in the day, I saw the unrated version of Leaving Las Vegas.

While the movie is a 'good' one, I was physically sickened by the ugliness of the content.

Someday, I'll see a good deal on the DVD and try it again.

===========

Another example (probably more what you looking for), is Titus.

I bought it blind based on Ebert saying that 'Titus shames Gladiator'.

Needless to say, Titus is a *very* different type of movie.

My first viewing was a bit of shock, later I watched it again and was able to appreciate it's unique offerings.

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
Rushmore.

I hated it in the theater but it ranks as one of my top 3 favorites of all time after giving it a second look on dvd and owning the Criterion version.

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
You know when I find this happens the most? When I watch a comedy by myself.

Austin Powers? Office Space? Friday? Gotta say I wasn't a big fan the first time I saw them.

Then you watch them with a group and you begin to fully appreciate the humor. Now I try and always watch comedies with at least one other person.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Big Lebowski and Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery for me. When I first saw these two films in the theater I really didn't like them at all, particularly Lebowski. Except for a moment here and there I thought both of them were particularly unfunny. After seeing them on video I fell in love with them and now they're two of my favorite comedies, particularly Lebowski - just a plain brilliant film. To this day I don't know why I was so turned off initially.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
AUSTIN POWERS and BAD BOYS. Absolutely hated both of these when I originally saw them. It's some kind of miracle, actually, that I ever sat down to watch them again. Wouldn't say I love them now but I don't mind them. I find AUSTIN POWERS pretty amusing in parts now.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Rushmore - after first viewing, I couldn't see what the big deal was about this movie after all the hype, and what was so great about Bill Murray's performance... but I've grown to appreciate and enjoy this film.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - very bizarre at first, but after the 2nd viewing I came to love the eccentric humor.

I now own the Criterion DVDs of both.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Its funny that The Big Lebowski has been mentioned twice already, because that was the movie I was thinking of when I saw this subject before coming in here.

Another one that comes to mind is Dark City with Jennifer Connelly.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Usual Suspects. I always kept catching bits of it on television (EVIL!) and kept thinking that it was stylish but dull. Then I gave it a fair chance with the MGM SE DVD and I was really impressed. And I was surprised at how funny it was!

I never used to be a fan of The Thing (1982, John Carpenter) alhtough I have been a JC all my life, I never considered it one of his better films. Then one day in 1999, I bought a DVD player and my first DVD - I chose The Thing because of the special features and wanted to really try out this new and exiting format. I was BLOWN away. I consider it Carpenter's best film, and one of my favourite sci-fi/horror films.

I always used to be blaise about Psycho until I saw it on TV late at night and I was riveted to my seat - the sheer balliness of the film is still stupifying to this day - it's an outrageous film, made by consumate professionals and is scary as hell the first time you see it.

As for films I have fallen out of love with, Terminator 2 is the first film that comes to mind. I really used to love that film, but now I can take or leave it. But I still love the original.

Gordy

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm not sure if I hated The Fifth Element the first time I saw it, but at the least, it definitely left me with a lukewarm impression. Watched it a second time after a thread popped up here about it, and I think I enjoyed it a lot more. I think I was disappointed the first time around because I didn't know what to expect, but the second time, I had a better idea and enjoyed it a lot more.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
X-Men.

I was very unimpressed the first time but for some reason I picked up the 1.5 DVD and had a totally different experience. Now it is one of my reference movies.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
I'll fourth The Big Lebowski, I thought it was just ok when I watched it in the theater, but since then, it gets funnier each time I watch it.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I was very unimpressed with Starship Troopers the first time around. I thought it was just too heavy handed. Then I picked it up on dvd (twice now) and, little by little, it wore me down. I now officially love Starship Troopers! But not enough to buy the Superbit. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks