What's new

Anyone else a boardgame nut? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I love boardgames, any kind of boardgame. I like all type of games (video games, card games, sports), but if my friends were more down with it I would play boardgames all the time. Anybody else enjoy getting 4 or so people together to play gmaes? I wish I knew more folks in Denver who enjoyed this stuff, a little more diffucult with kids running around though ;)

Here's some of the all time favs: Axis and Allies, Acquire, Buck Rogers, Fortress America, Roborally, Munchkin, Zombies, more. I hear that Settlers of Catan is a great new game for nuts and casual players, might have to pick that one up.

Anyone else share this love for old school gaming?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
We actually have a Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game(not the lame UK one) that is very fun.

Cranium is a blast!(Probably the funnest new board game) Of course the classics, Monopoly, Scrabble, Stratego, Pictionary, Risk.

My brothers actually beg for board game nights. I like to look at board games as family enhancement.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Yep, love the boardgames :)

Settlers is very good. The base game is great: my friends and I love the Cities and Knights expansion although it adds some complexity. Try Pit if there's 6 or 7 of you, it's a very loud raucous cardgame!

I also enjoy El Grande, Puerto Rico, Carcansonne, Manhatten, Modern Art, ...

Try www.funagain.com or www.boardgamegeek.com

There are many excellent games for all tastes.

Just remember, the first time you play it will suck. The next time you play, you all know the rules and it will be great!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I would be, if I knew people. ::sniff:: While I was working at SmarterKids.com a couple years ago, I picked up a couple games that I haven't had a chance to break open yet - Mars 2020 and a Scotland Yard to replace the one I had as a kid which is half missing now.

There's a store practically across the street from me in Harvard Square that specializes in that stuff, but I seldom have a reason to go there except for Christmas shopping.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I have mixed feelings about this game. I find you can only play it once a month since it is so pathetically easy and the rules are too vague in places (such as when doing an impression, what's considering giving "illegal" information). Also, the bit where you have to hum a tune is interesting in theory, but simply doesn't work because getting it right or not merely comes down to the person who has to hum actually knowing the song. That being said, I say it’s a good game to play with people you don’t know that well since there is so much interaction between players.

I’m a big fan of Trivial Pursuit, but the last few editions of it have been horrible. Besides the questions getting easier and there being an usual amount of poorly worded ones (does anyone proof this stuff anymore?), the Trivial Pursuit makers seem to be assuming that players know nothing of events outside the 1990s. Not to sound too pretentious, but I’d like to see a college scholar version – one with questions designed for people with a undergraduate liberal arts education (basically I find that the questions are tailored to H.S. students). Lastly, both the Arts & Entertainment and Sports & Leisure categories need to be revised. A&E questions are basically “who stared in this” and “which band did this” - not much about art. S&L questions are rarely anything more than famous sports stats/records/achievements – there are very few leisure questions which actually tend to be among the most interesting.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
All of my family are/were English teachers, so Scrabble is maybe the only one I will NOT play. When 3 of the four people you are going to play with each show up with their own dictionary (because "the other ones cheat"), you know it's a going to be a rough night.

One game that we love is Acquire, anyone who likes monopoly but doesn't have 6 hours to spare should try it. It's similar to monopoly in that it is business and corporations, but no one is ever out of the game, everyone ends up with more money, and it definitely has a game time of 2-3 hours max. Acquire is one that still gets played with company, just a great all around game.

Settlers of Catan will be on the list this Xmas, I would really like to try it.

Jason - Move to Denver, I'll roll some dice with ya!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I LOVE to play board games. Unfortunately, while growing up, few among my family and friends had the same interest in them so I never got to play as much as I would have liked.

I'd much rather play a board game than a video game. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My favorite Scrabble match was one I lost. My sister beat me in a tense, long game in which we both surpassed 400 points. I was just a few points ahead of her, yet she played out her final letters before I played mine. Even though I was ahead, per Scrabble rules I had to subtract the total points of my remaining letters from my score, adding them to hers. And that pulled my sister ahead.

It was a thrilling game. My all-time favorite.

Our parents, both avid Scrabble players, taught us.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
My favorites would have to be: Monopoly, Risk, and Trivial Pursuit. I do agree with Seth that alot of the questions are too easy.

Also a good game is Oil Rig (monopoly style game but different).

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Squad Leader.

Other favourites are Titan, History of the World, Republic of Rome, Kremlin.

And I must admit Queen's Gambit was enjoyable, but not on the same "level" as SL.

(Can you tell what my favourite game company is/was? Shame that they "died" :frowning: )

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Scrabble is the best. My favorite game was playing at The Zone website on Scrabble 1.0 (I now run 2.0) I was playing a guy that was apparently a little better player than I was. He gradually built up about a 70 point lead and it was getting late in the game. I was getting demoralized. I played with my last seven tiles until I realized that I had a bingo that would fit across a triple word score. Bam! He was left with nothing but a "game over" screen.

My least favorite was a good match in which I was playing well and building a nice lead until my opponent played a triple triple bingo. I mustered the sportmanship to type "nice play", and my opponent admitted to cheating (got assist from 3rd party to make that play)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
We play a lot of Settlers with friends. I don't have the Cities & Knights expansion yet, but Seafarers is fun on occasion. I recently picked up Citadels, a card based strategy game for 2 to 8 people, and it's a blast. I really like how the rules are slightly different depending on how many people you have playing, and just the slight rules differences can throw any existing strategies right out the window.

I got Cranium for Christmas last year. It's fun occasionally, but mostly I find it annoying. It's four good games all squashed into one game, but the sum of parts doesn't equal the whole.

Risk is also a great time, but Monopoly remains my favorite game.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Settlers is a great game. I would strongly suggest that you only purchase the base game at this time (with possibly the 5-6 player expansion). Once you understand how to play the basic game you can add the expansions (Cities & knights, Seafarers, etc.).

Some other games I like:
- Carcassonne (either the original or Hunters & Gatherers). This is a quick game to learn but has plenty of strategy to keep you entertained.
- Puerto Rico. Harder to grasp various strategies than the above games but IMO the game is more rewarding. The number of players strongly affects the flow of the game. This is a frequent selection with other board gamers.
- Bohnanza! This is a card game where you plant & trade beans. The rules are very simple and the game is a blast. If you like games involving deals (trade X for Y, etc.) you will love this game. A fun party game...
- Beyond Balderdash. With the right people this game is a lot of fun. If you like to be creative then check this one out.

You will need to go to a real board game store (or online) to find some of these titles. Don't be afraid to ask for a title by name (the owners sometimes have the rarer games in the back).

Cranium... I find you can only play it once a month since it is so pathetically easy...
Amen! We play a forced rotation within each team to make things slightly harder. A lot of people own this game & I keep finding myself being roped into playing it.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
My least favorite was a good match in which I was playing well and building a nice lead until my opponent played a triple triple bingo. I mustered the sportmanship to type "nice play", and my opponent admitted to cheating (got assist from 3rd party to make that play)
I also love Scrabble and played online for a while, but the dictionaries are ridiculous. You can play basically any word and the computer allows it. It was maddening to try to play using real words and have your opponents playing in a different language. So I quit playing online, and my only "live" competition was my former girlfriend who would take 15 minutes only to spell "eegs." Needless, to say, I now uh.....play with myself.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
JUNTA!!!!! (By West End Games)

Just wish I knew some people who really knew how to play it, tried it a few times in College, bought myself a copy, and its sat on the shelf for a half dozen years =(

Sam

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
When you get enough people together, board games can be a lot of fun... I used to play a lot a few years back, but not so much anymore... :frowning:

My favorite is Solarquest... I found on accident actually.. A friend wanted to play this game he had which was falling apart and such from being played a lot and when I went home, I found the same game, almost brand new, sitting in our closet... Don't know what possesed my or my family to buy it at the time, but I am glad they did, cause it is a game my friends and I play everytime we get together.. :)

To sum it up, it's like Space Monopoly, but you can blow each other up... It's quite fun, but I can't remember the last game I actually finished *without* getting blown up...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks