• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 07:59 AM

Ahh, something to bring you back. Flipping through the channels and came across CBS 2 NY. Instead of doing the usual split screen credits for the upcoming news broadcast/promo, they just did a voice over instead. I havn't watched CBS in the last two weeks, so have they started to change their practices? Doubtfull, but worth asking..

Speaking of wich, a wayward thought hit me. I wonder how the actors and people in the credits feel when their work is interupted, sped up, or not shown at all due to split screens, or interupted via network bugs? If they are as annoyed as we are, maby they can make some kind of fuss about it that would make a difference?

Networks got by just fine in the last 40 years without them on 24/7, even in the days of cable, why bother starting now...

#2 of 14 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 01:19 PM

Ahh, something to bring you back. Flipping through the channels and came across CBS 2 NY. Instead of doing the usual split screen credits for the upcoming news broadcast/promo, they just did a voice over instead. I havn't watched CBS in the last two weeks, so have they started to change their practices? Doubtfull, but worth asking..

I remember when they used to do those voice over things. I thought those were annoying.

I remember one time during the credits of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, the local CBS station in Seattle (KIRO) did a voice over promo for a news story about some guy being murdered! They got a lot of complaints from parents about that.

Quote:
. . a wayward thought hit me. I wonder how the actors and people in the credits feel when their work is interupted, sped up, or not shown at all due to split screens, or interupted via network bugs?

They probably don't like it any more than the rest of us do. If you've ever heard the Simpsons or Futurama DVD commentaries, it's pretty clear that Matt Groening doesn't like this practice.

Quote:
If they are as annoyed as we are, maby they can make some kind of fuss about it that would make a difference?

I wish they would do something.

On a somewhat related note, did FOX stop doing their "pop-up" ads during the shows? I don't remember seeing any on Sunday. (The local affiliate started doing their own stupid pop-up ads, however. Posted Image All of them were for the show Banzai, and they showed them DURING Banzai, and on shows AFTER Banzai!)

#3 of 14 ThomasC

ThomasC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 02:14 PM

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, did FOX stop doing their "pop-up" ads during the shows?
If anything, the Simpsons episode "Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington" from last season should've convinced them to stop doing it.

#4 of 14 Scott_J

Scott_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
If anything, the Simpsons episode "Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington" from last season should've convinced them to stop doing it.
Ironically, that episode aired Sunday.

The FOX affil here in Albany is horrible with their pop-ups. Now they have a big pop-up for their new Microcast weather forecast, which is ridiculous in and of itself. Their tagline for it is something like
Quote:
While the other guys are giving you a forecast for your street, we'll give you a forecast for your doorstep.
Whatever.

Sorry for the sorta-OT rant.

#5 of 14 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted July 16 2003 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, those split screens are horrible! This is outside of the fact that they have voice-overs too!

I'd like to know how they get away with that. If I rent out a movie to a station, don't they have to show all of it?

Better yet, it would be neat to make up a new contract forbidding them from doing that, and not telling them - and having some sort of a fine for screwing it up!

Glenn

#6 of 14 MatthewA

MatthewA

Advanced Member

• 5,797 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 16 2003 - 10:31 PM

These are one of two reasons I can no longer watch network television. The second one is, of course, the unutterably horrible programming.

#7 of 14 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 04:18 AM

Have you seen this?
The USA Campaign for Logo-Free Television

#8 of 14 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 05:23 AM

That is a riot, Jeff. I didn't go that far into it but it looks like they never mentioned anything about protecting themselves from thieves, which was the original idea behind that mess in the first place.

Glenn

#9 of 14 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 08:36 AM

I won't even allow anything shot by me to appear on America's Funniest Videos with a network bug on it! People who work on shows shouldn't allow it either!
I've quit watching TV altogether because of this, but I just got a DVD recorder and have been dubbing old tapes of TV broadcasts. It was fun watching an ABC showing of "Vega$" from 1980, with an extremely smeary film transfer, but at least there were NO logos or anything else onscreen during a single frame! They did however do a voiceover during the end credits, which pissed me off enough back then. (I don't even have my antenna hooked to the DVD recorder, or my VCRs now for that matter.)
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 14 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
I wonder how the actors and people in the credits feel when their work is interupted, sped up, or not shown at all due to split screens, or interupted via network bugs?
Jeff already took my answer about Matt Groening disliking it.

Don't these damn stations have enough time to advertise during the commercials???? How about the new TNN with their damn helicopter fly by promoting Ren & Stimpy, Stripperella, and Gary the Rat? Those pretty much take up half the screen Posted Image

I wrote to my local Fox station (here in CT) that I have now switched to watching the Fox station out of NY because their damn logo is burned into my RPTV Posted Image Posted Image I doubt if it made much impression, but it makes me feel a little better.

#11 of 14 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted July 17 2003 - 02:57 PM

Quote:
. . .their damn logo is burned into my RPTV

Seriously? Have you considered a lawsuit? (RPTVs are pretty expensive, aren't they?) Maybe other stations would hear about it an reconsider their bugs.

#12 of 14 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted August 13 2003 - 04:39 PM

I noticed that when the local FOX affiliate here squeezes the credits (during local programming), it makes the closed-captioning stop working. Has anyone else noticed this on other stations?

A few weeks ago, this station also put a pop-up ad that covered the phone number during America's Most Wanted!

I finally wrote and complained about all of the pop-up ads, credit squeezing, etc. I never got a reply, but I looks like they've at least stopped putting pop-ups during AMW.

#13 of 14 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 06:52 AM

I laughed last time I saw part of "America's Most Wanted"- since they keep the "FOX" bug on all the time now it was on even during the title card, so it read as "America Fights Back Fox".
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#14 of 14 PienSavaca

PienSavaca

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted August 14 2003 - 05:41 PM

Quote:
I noticed that when the local FOX affiliate here squeezes the credits (during local programming), it makes the closed-captioning stop working. Has anyone else noticed this on other stations?

Yes, complain. Alert them that this practice is ILLEGAL (not letting closed captions pass-thru). I've called both the local Fox and WB stations, and the threat of alerting the FCC made the pop-ups disappear immediatly.... it was later replaced with a non-interfering technology.
"I got kissed... and, and, and I shoplifted."

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow