Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Still confused: PCM or Bitstream for DVD output

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 03:43 AM

I've read several posts about the 2 and have seen conflicting info. Here is my situation:

I have a 4 year old Toshiba DVD player that has an optical output that I am using. I just bought a nice Onkyo receiver (TX-NR900) that supports practically every format out there.

If I want the best quality sound out of my DTS and Dolby Digital DVD movies, what do I set my Toshiba DVD player to output the audio?? Bitstream or PCM?

Thanks.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Rosano

Rosano

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 03:54 AM

Bitstream all the way and turn both DD and DTS on.This is in the DVD player set up menu.Then do the equivalent on your receiver.It probably has a auto detect function but all receivers are slightly different.Remember to "set up" your digital input on your receiver....

Then when you insert a DVD that has both DD and DTS tracks remember to select the format you want in the DVD disc menu.DD is normaly the default.

Lets not even get into DD vs DTS....decide for yourself!

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 05:05 AM

Definetly Bitstream, you can't get DD or DTS via PCM unless it's through a demodulator of a Laserdisc player. I think.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted July 10 2003 - 05:10 AM

Thanks guys! I'll be enjoying some movies later this evening, knowing I've got the best setup now. Thanks.