What's new

A few Samsung DLP questions (1 Viewer)

ChrisDumont

Agent
what I'm confused about is whats the major differences between the first generation (HLM) and the second generation (HLN) line of Samsung DLP's? Is it worth the extra cost? Secondly, I see 2 types of models for each of the two generations. For example, theres the HLN617W and the HLN6165W. Any reason for this? Finally, when do the next generation TV's come out? I would like to save a bit of money by purchasing the previous years model

Don Petsche

Agent
HLN includes a faster color wheel, less rainbow effect. HLN includes DNIE, DNR Engines. HLN models all include the faroudja (DCDi). Regarding the extra costs, I would say yes, at least it was to me.

Contrary to marketing differences, *all* HLN models include the same internal electronics. Newer firmware includes some discreet codes. The 507 vs 5065, etc., is just a difference in model numbering to offer stores a way out of some price match guarantees. The 5065 is supposedly targetted at large chain discount stores, as it doesn't have the DCDi logo. I've been in my SM several times, and it does include the chip, they just didn't pay the money to slap on the logo.

The 507 has a black bezel, but the differences are purely cosmetic. I haven't done any research on next gen, other than I believe the 46 & 56" models are due out end of summer, I think?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BTW, worth mentioning is that Samsung is about to release *2* 16x9 DLP front-projection models that have been designed with the assistance of Jo Kane. Word on the first demonstrations is that the color is the best ever seen from single-chip DLP.

Fans are whisper-quite and images are bright with high-contrast. Faroudja deinterlacing/scaling.

BTW...they are rumored to street between $5 and $7K MSRP.

dave :)

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
HLN does NOT have a faster color wheel- the optical engines are identical.

Electronics-wise, the HLNs have DNIE, and a newer Faroudja chip. I have yet to see a good comparison as to whether this is a good or bad thing- reportedly OOTB experience is better with HLN, but noboday has managed to tweak it as far as the HLM.

Firmware-wise, the newest HLNs to come off the line should have some discreet codes.

I have an HLM- Samsung is currently offering to upgrade the boardset to the current HLN level. I am wavering. ;-)

Markd

Don Petsche

Agent
Oops. Sorry, thought I read it someplace. . .a double check, all at 9000rpm? I hate the thought of adding any misinformation, there is enough of that on the net already!

I have found myself pretty much on my own tweak wise with my HLN. If there is something I'm jeolous of is the amount of tweak info available for the HLM. I wonder if the board upgrade will drive the experienced to retweak under the same (?) newer firmware and chips?

Regarding the board upgrade, do you know, is it also being offered to existing HLN owners who purchased prior to the codes showing up in firmware?

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
No problem- thats why I said it (too much misinformation). I'm not sure of the RPM off the top of my head, I just know that the engines are the same.

There are some new threads on AVSforum with better tweak info for the HLN. There are also some early reports from upgraders, a couple negative, and a couple positive. One of the positives from a guy with colorfacts, which bodes well.

I know that it is available for some of the HLNs, take a look at avs to track it down- I didn't pay that much attention since I have an M.

Markd

CharlesDLP

Auditioning
"Oops. Sorry, thought I read it someplace. . .a double check, all at 9000rpm?"

The color wheel does spin at 9000rpm's .. just to confirm your thoughts on that.

"For example, theres the HLN617W and the HLN6165W. Any reason for this?"

The 61" DLP set does not come in the "65" series by the way. Only the "7" series ... HLN-617W to be exact. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks