What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Superheroes Revealed (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
I taped this show off the History Channel the other night, but haven't had a chance to watch it. Did anyone out there in HTF land catch this program?

Was it worth the two hours? What did you like best/least about it?

I welcome your thoughts...

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I watched it and liked it a lot. While not all of it was new to me, as a fan of comics, there was enough new stuff to keep me hooked and I really liked the style that it was presented in. My wife, having only passing interest in comics, really enjoyed the stories behind the comics. They did a good job comparing the two powerhouses DC and Marvel in ways that didn't devolve into "whose better" but more along the line of choices they made at certain times during history and how they impacted the quality of books, who their fans were, etc.

Very basic stuff, though, and current comic book fanboys will probably find little new. They hit the highlights only, not getting too far into detail on any one writer or epoch (Stan, Denny and Frank aside). Being the geek that I am, a week of hour-long shows highligthing each decade (one a night) and a bit more about the artists, writers, politics, etc. would have been cool to me, but the fact they produced a well thought out 2 hour piece was nice.

I would recommend it but I am not sure how the History channel is with repeats. If on again, check it out.

Phil

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Being the geek that I am, a week of hour-long shows highligthing each decade (one a night) and a bit more about the artists, writers, politics, etc. would have been cool to me, but the fact they produced a well thought out 2 hour piece was nice.
Yup. What we really need is a sprawling Ken Burns-ish documentary that covers the whole thing and not just superheroes :)

I'm pretty sure I read that it's repeating this weekend and a few other times this month, although I don't recall exact times.

I thought it was reasonably well done but definitely better for people who don't know comics. Beings a comics geek already, I was distracted by things like Jack Kirby getting shafted in favor of a segment on Steranko, and I really didn't like the 9/11 segment that closed the show because that just felt like another promotion for Marvel to me. But the show was nonetheless pretty informative for covering so many years of the genre and the beginning on the Golden Age was especially interesting.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator
I was distracted by things like Jack Kirby getting shafted in favor of a segment on Steranko
Thank goodness somebody feels the same as me. They really should've spotlighted THE KING a lot more.

Overall it was a great show though. If you're not that familiar with comic history, you'll learn a lot.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I can recommend Ron Mann's COMIC BOOK CONFIDENTIAL. If an epic-length documentary about comics is ever undertaken, I hope Ken Burns doesn't go anywhere near it.

Unfortunatley I missed this History Channel show but I'll try to catch it.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Funny that you dis Ken Burns. I heard the same thing around the time of the Jazz doc where he seemed to pick and choose jazz greats but ignored some of the really greats...from what I heard, he just didn't get it. Sounds the same thing as Kirby being glossed over (they did recognize his style as being "The Big Change" that it was, though). I was hoping to see stuff on Bernie Wrightson, more on Claremont/Byrne... their run on X-Men was outstanding and still a highwater mark, in my opinion. I think they could haev done a bit more with some of the alternate press stuff, too. That really took off in the 80's and 90's as well. Flaming Carrot and Madman being two of my faves from that era (so no wonder X-Statix is a current fave for me). Jim Lee's artwork, though mentioned if I recall, was a giant influence in the style of 90's bruiser-style comic book heroes. Whither the current boy wonder Alex Ross, whose combo punch with Mark Waid is still some powerful storytelling with Kingdom Come. Still, they hit the highlights and as noted, it was a great intro for non-fans who have at least some interest in the form.

'Nuff said,

Phil

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
more on Claremont/Byrne... their run on X-Men was outstanding and still a highwater mark, in my opinion.
I agree. I think the reason they glossed over that was because the Claremont/Byrne X-Men was very sci-fi/fantasy and often veered away from the tolerance themes that the comic is based around. The documentary was really pushing the relevance thing hard, like the rise of superheroes being connected with the Depression and WWII, and so they focused more on the base concept of the X-Men than specific runs and stories. That demand to make things relevant was probably also why relatively obscure comics like Batman: Seduction of the Gun got so much time, and why bigger comics that weren't directly commenting on real world events were given less time in the documentary.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Here is the schedule for upcoming broadcasts of this program on The History Channel:

June 29, 6p
July 7, 10a
July 8, 2a
July 10, 8p
July 11, 12m

It's also available on VHS and DVD from The History Channel.

-Scott

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Finally checked out the videotape this weekend, and I thought it was a pretty good introduction to the History of Comics. Given that they only had a couple of hours, it was interesting and informative.

I was surprised how much I recognized: The Spider Man drug story line back in the 70's. They used quite a few shots from the Alex Ross(?) paintings from the Superman-Batman-Wonder Woman commemorations of recent years.

One question: Was the Sept 11 Spider-man story ever collected in any of the anothologies? I never picked up the issue itself, and would rather not pay secondary market prices (especially since none of that $ would go to the victims)

Thanks again for the posts, they made me take the time to watch and it was worth it!

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
One other rather large omission is anything from or about Brian Michael Bendis. I am kind of "Bendis-ed" out right now, having my fill of his style of dialogue and stories. This isn't to say I don't read his stuff. I am a huge Powers fan and have read some of his Marvel stuff lately, but I don't seek it out like I once used to do. But this guy has really done a lot of writing and really has had a huge impact on comics in the last 5 or 6 years. His idie hits "Goldfish," "Jinx" and "Torso" brought back the crime comic in style and his current run with Ultimate Spiderman has reinvigorated the franchise. His writing style is unique and much different than what was out there before. Very conversational and, for comics, "talky." Either way, I would think Marvel would have touted him in the later part of the show (and the Ultimate line's attempt to do what Mutants did in the 60's and campiness did in the 50's...a chance for comics to re-invent themselves).

Just a thought. Maybe for Part Deux? :D

Phil

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Thanks for the info. I picked up the Spidey TPB. The 9-11 issue was well done and I liked the other two issues collected as well...who knows, I may fall off the wagon and get back into comics a bit:)

Follow up question, did DC do something similar after 9-11? Is it collected somewhere? Was it as good as the Marvel effort?

Thanks again

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
IIRC DC actually did two volumes devoted to 9/11 stories. One focused on the superheroes, and then another dealt with real people. I never got around to picking up either but I've heard they were bit better and more rounded than Marvel's efforts, and I've seen them in both comic shops and in major bookstores. I believe a bunch of indy creators also banded together and did their own 9/11 benefit book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks