What's new

Does anybody have the Denon dvd 910? (1 Viewer)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
I saw this one while cruising the Denon web site the other day. I too would be interested in hearing what users have to say about this player.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Ellen Thats where I saw it to. I thought about the Marantz 4300 but couldn't get much help on it untill the yesterday. Someone bought a refurbished one and had noting but problems. The 910 looks like a good deal for $329 hopefully someone can tell us what they think.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
David,
If you look at the site it says Available at Dealers Late June. Looks like a great player if you are not concerned about DVD-A and SACD. I myself will be looking for something new somtime after August once I get a Widescreen TV. I have been looking at the Denon 1600, Pioneer 45a, Pioneer 563a(which is suppose to be out this month). I just am not sure if I want a player that supports DVD-A & SACD. I have one DVD-A/DTS. It seems like the best players are the ones that have the DCDi by Faroudja. Denon seems to be the best since you can't find any Panansonics around anymore with that chip.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Thanks Chad I like denon myself. I'm not really concerned with DVD-a & SACD. It look like a good price to. I will check out the 1600 though.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Hey dave,
The 910 looks like a great one though. Doesn't look like it is much different then the 900.

The only changes I can see are the following:
910 has(900 doesn't)
WMA
JPEG File Viewer and Kodak Picture CD Compatible
Discrete Remote Power On/Off

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Chad I was just about to ask the same question. If you purchase this soon can you let me know how it performs. This is what I am asking my wife to get me for my birthday. I have till the middle of Aug. They will probably be out by then but I want a some expert opinions on it first. Thanks

David

Chris_Stone

Auditioning
This is the reply I got from Crutchfield.com when I asked them whether they would reccomend the 910 over the 900.

In answer to your question about the Denon DVD-910, we will be carrying
it! However, unfortunately, we are not scheduled to receive that unit
from Denon until 7/31/03. Since that item is new enough (we've yet to
receive any) our staff has yet to review it and I'm afraid I have no
information to share with you at this time. Sorry I don't have better
news for you there.
Are there any other Denon online retailers?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Hey Chad it said coming soon. That price looks great $299. Do you think it is worth it to buy a warranty. I have heard somewhere some credit cards double the warranty if you buy it with the CC. Based on the features you read how good of a DVD player is it? My current one is not P-scan so I should be able to tell a difference right?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Thanks I'll see if I can get it locally. I think it will match my Marantz receiver well. I'm sure I'll notice a difference from my current one to the 910. Thanks for the info.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Only a couple more weeks till purchase time wondering if anybody had any reviews or experience with this DVD player.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing no one has bought one yet on the forum. The specs look good just want a pro's opinion before I buy. Thanks

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't consider myself a 'pro', but I did pick up the Denon 910 yesterday at Good Guys. I've not done any extensive testing, but I can give some initial impressions after a quick hour or so of use.

First, my equipment. I have a Samsung 50" HLN507 DLP TV, an Onkyo 575 receiver, and a Samsung HD931 progressive scan/DVI DVD player.

So, my whole reason for getting the 910 is because of the HD931 I have. When playing non-anamophic or 4:3 aspect programs on DVD, the Samsung player forces the video to widescreen without any option of changing that. I used to have an old Sony 330 DVD player hooked up via s-video, and while I did have control over the image configuration with that player, the image quality looked terrible. There was a ton of color gradient banding which was highly distracting. The Abyss in particular was nearly unwatchable, in my opinion.

Looking at the specs of the Denon 900 vs. the 910, they appear identical. I've never had any experience with the 900, but from what I've read, it does have the chroma bug and the image quality is not that great.

Setup of the 910 was pretty standard. Made sure the switch on the back was set to 'progressive', hooked up the component cables, the audio (it has optical and coaxial) and turned it on. Setup was very easy. Most of the default settings were fine for me. Dolby Digital and DTS were on by default. The only thing I had to change was the TV aspect ratio setting. I tried out three DVDs: The Abyss, Ever After, and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (don't laugh). The Abyss and Ever After are non-anamorphic, so on my TV, I have to use the Zoom 1 setting which retains the proper widescreen image but fills out the left and right sides (no bars on the sides).

The Abyss was finally watchable. No more color gradient banding effect at all. Picture looked great for a non-anamorphic disc. Ever After, which looked blurry on my old Sony player, looked great as well. The picture was a little soft, which I attribute mainly to the fact that I have to use a zoom setting on the TV, but colors looked rich and vibrant. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days was just a quick grab-the-first-disc-nearby thing but at least it was an anamorphically mastered disc. The Samsung HD931 via DVI connection blows the 910 away in picture quality, but the 910 still looked good. Colors again were very rich and vibrant looking. Fleshtones looked good. No banding that I could see. The only thing I could find at fault was that the picture looked a little on the soft side. Maybe I'm just more used to the image quality of the HD931, but the picture was definitely slightly soft, however not so much that it bothered me. It still looked excellent.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check for the chroma bug. I'll try that tonight with the usual suspects: Toy Story 2 and The Fifth Element. I also want to try out a wider range of discs, like Black Hawk Down, Spirited Away, The Matrix, to delve further into picture softness. However, so far I am very happy with the Denon 910. If you don't care about SACD or DVD-A then the 910 is a nice little progressive scan player.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
James I still have a couple weeks before I buy so after you watch a few more movies on it and get a better feel for it could you let me know if it's any better or worse than your first impression. Thanks for responding I have been wondering if anyone was ever going to get one of these. Your a lifesaver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks