What's new

Any info/comments on the Philips 795sa DVD/SACD changer? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Info/comments on this player seems very hard to come by. And I'd like to find out more before taking the plunge on its bigger sibling 963sa.

I guess the key questions are:

1. Can the 795sa be hacked for region-free playback like many other Philips players?

2. Does it offer good PAL->NTSC conversion even though it doesn't have the Faroudja fli23xx chip that's in the 963sa?

3. How is the 480p PQ in general? I don't think I need top notch PQ like the 963sa, but thought I should ask anyway.

4. Can it do good aspect ratio scaling? This would be a PLUS, not a requirement.

5. How is the CD and SACD playback quality? Is it anywhere near as good as the 963sa? This is a priority since I want it more for good CD/SACD playback than good DVD-V. Already have a Panny RP91 that can be used for most DVDs, except non-R1 and PAL DVDs.

I was also considering the Sony C222ES changer, but think I'll past on that since it costs almost the same as the 963sa w/out any DVD-V support and is not necessarily better at CD/SACD either.

Thanks for any info/comments.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I couldn't find any good info and reviews for the 795sa, so I ended up going for the 963sa instead and even sold the newly bought Panny RP91 afterward. I miss the scaling capability of the Panny, but I decided I couldn't justify the extra costs of having both players -- would've needed to add a quality video switcher too.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks