Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help, I just got my Philips 963SA and's it's the wrong region

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 05:15 AM

Just got it from J&R. It was set up for PAL and region 2. I got it changed to ntsc (believe me, not easy trying to follow OSM when the screen is rolling fast!!!) but I still can't play region one discs. Philips wants me to send it back, but that seems like a hassle.

It's there an easy hack for this? I mean, I don't want to void my warranty, but really, it's annoying that it was delivered this way in the first place.

#2 of 5 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 14 2003 - 10:03 AM

Don't know what the hack for region 1 would be, but if you don't "mind" hacking for region-free playback, do a search on AVSForum for "RC6 hack", and you'll probably find what you need.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 5 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 05:02 AM

And instead of sending him to AVS, I might point out that if he is willing to go to the trouble of finding a hack for the Region 2 player then I don't see how shipping the unit back to Philips is a "hassle." Just swap out players.

#4 of 5 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 06:58 AM

Jack, sorry about the AVS redirection.

RE: the hassle thing, from what I'm hearing, it just MIGHT be more hassle to deal w/ Philips customer service for returning players. But if you do want to go that route, make sure you call them up for proper procedure. Do NOT simply follow the written instructions that came w/ the player. You might live to regret it(!).

Mark, too bad you don't live here in NYC or you could just bring it to the store for exchange.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#5 of 5 Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted May 15 2003 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Man-Fai

I already called Philips and they are supposedly sending out a return authorization letter. After that, I can ship it back. And that's what I'll probably end up doing. As far as the hack, well, if I do it and screw up, well, try explaining that to Philips.

Still, I'll end up paying shipping one way because of an error at Philips or J&R. Posted Image

I did not purchase some grey market item. If I had a pronto or the proper remote, well, I probably couldn't help but do it. But I will just send it back. I would call J&R, but it's closer to the repair center in Tenessee. My shipping will be lower.