What's new

Portable CD Player, Redux - PLEASE HELP! (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
A while back, I knew I'd be buying a portable CD player and started this thread to solicit opinions and experiences with players.

I had originally intended to buy the Sony S2 Sports Tuner CD Walkman. In fact, I walked into Best Buy yesterday to purchase it, as BB has it on sale this week for $20 off its usual price. However, as I looked at the CD players for sale, I noticed a Panasonic player with more features for $20 less than the S2's sale price! Because it could do what I wanted - primarily, play CD-Rs - and more, I went ahead and bought it.

Last night, I was testing it on several audio CDs I had burned at home. Of 5, it only played ONE.

Needless to say, I was quite frustrated.

At first, I thought it was because the first CD-R I tested was on a disc bought from a really cheap batch - one of the office stores was selling, 50 discs for like $10. But the player also had trouble reading other discs from different, more expensive batches.

So here is my question for y'all: have you had any similar experiences with NEW portable CD players reading CD-Rs? What about the Sony? Right now my plan is take the Panasonic back and buy either the S2 or the S2 ATRAC3/MP3 CD player.

Is the problem with the discs or the player? My car stereo - and it's only a factory one - has NO problems reading the audio CDs burned from the "cheap" batch and neither does my home CD player, which is a few years old.

Any thoughts or recommendations would MOST welcome.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Michael-- I think CD-R compatibility is still a hit-or-miss thing unfortunately. In my personal experience, playability problems have been associated with the various manufacturers, the different CD-R dye colors, and the media capacity. These problems were most evident in some of my older players; for example, one of my players refuses to read any 700MB/80min. media (while 650MB/74min. discs work fine).

Here's a pretty good site that discusses a lot of the issues concerning CD-R quality and compatibility:

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware..._quality.shtml

It may come down to finding a certain brand that your player "likes." I noted that the Panasonic specs say "May not be able to play some CD-R or CD-RW discs due to the condition of the recording." That's a pretty vague statement.

BTW, are you burning CD-DA or mp3? I assume CD-DA, since you mentioned your older player...

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
BTW, are you burning CD-DA or mp3?
I primarily burn audio CDs, using both WAVs and MP3 as source files. However, if I can find a good portable player than can read the discs, I will be burning data CD-Rs with mp3 files on them.

Thanks for the link. Looks like the dye and quality of the CD-R may be part of the issue.

However, it is STILL very frustrating that two other CD players - and neither of them very fancy, and one a few years old - can read ALL of my audio CD-Rs and portable players haven't caught up with it. :angry:

Do you have any recommendations as far as a player or blank CD-R brands?

MikeWh

Second Unit
Do you have any recommendations as far as a player or blank CD-R brands?
Sorry, I can't recommend a portable player. Also-- I would think that much of the problems with media compatibility would have been (mostly) resolved by the player manufacturers.... you might want to do some serious searching for problems other people may have experienced with your player model.

I usually head to epinions and amazon for consumer reactions to products:
http://www.epinions.com/elec-Audio-Portable-All-CD
(I noted the SV550 wasn't reviewed there).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00008IP5S

As far as CD-R-- I can give recommendations, but I've found that it's like I said--- you might have to find one that your player "likes." Some people swear by certain brands, while they are horrible for others. That being said, I am very partial to a particular Imation disc and a Maxell. Verbatims were hit-or-miss for a while, and Memorex's became coasters. Last time I bought a 50-spindle of generic/cheapos, and they've performed very well for me! So, go figure!

I should note that the brand name is not as important as the specific brand model, as it's really the manufacturer that apparently makes the difference when it comes to compatibility. Note the "CD-R Quality Overview" section of that link (http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware...ity.shtml#CD-R Quality Overview), where you'll find some brands sell media made by different manufacturers.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
My Sony portable CD Discman (a higher end model circa 1994) can play every CD-R that I have ever put into it (CD audio of course, not MP3 or anything). I almost exclusively use cheap CD-Rs. Most if not all newer Sony's boast of being able to play CD-RW in addition to CD-R.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Mike, thanks for the link to the article. I read the one you posted, as well as one on dyes and media manufacturers,

That being said, I am very partial to a particular Imation disc and a Maxell
I've had good experiences with both Imation and Maxell Media. Mixed with TDK, and very good results with HP blank CDs.

Thanks for the links and the info. Hopefully the Philips will work out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks