What's new

HK AVR-7000 DVD input Question (1 Viewer)

BrianTran

Grip
I bought a used Harmon Kardon AVR-7000 amp.
I am hooking up my dvd player. When I plug in the RCA input to the dvd input behind the amp, and switch to "DVD" source, there is no sound. But when I switched the RCA cable to the "CD" input, and select the CD as the source it works.
Can it possible be a bad DVD input connectors? If so, how much do you think it cost to get it fixed? Is there an easy way to fix it myself?
Thanks in advance.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Brian,

Each input (DVD/CD/Video1/etc) has to be programmed for the which digital or analog input it will "see" and respond to.

You need to change the "input" of the DVD to analog. It sounds like it is currently set on one of the "digital" inputs.

Look on the remote, for the digital button. (it is on the left side below "channel" and above "vid1" buttons)

Press it. while the display is flashing, press the up arrow (above the "set" button) button. keep pressing it until it says "analog", then press set.

That should solve your problem. If not RTFM (read the manual about changing digital sources)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You do have two ways to connect the DVD player to the 7000. First Digital via toslink or coax. Toslink is the fiber optic connection that has a black pin that you have to pull out. Coax is a single RCA connector (orange color). On the HK it gives you the option as John said, select DVD, then hit the audio button and it will give you a choice and look like this DVD/OPT OR COAX OR ANALOG. Red and white connections are your analog connections, and can be used if you don't have surround. If you have all 5.1 channels going through the HK, then use the digital domain of the receiver to Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 sound.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
On the HK it gives you the option as John said, select DVD, then hit the audio button and it will give you a choice and look like this DVD/OPT OR COAX OR ANALOG.
Jerome, there is no "audio" button on either the remote or the 7000 itself.

For simplicitys sake just go to the reciever itself.

hit the "digital select" button and then keep pressing the "right arrow" button (directly below the "digital select" button)until it says "ANALOG".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks