Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Direct view 16:9 sets with defeatable line doubler?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 08:14 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows of any direct view, widescreen sets (preferably 34") that have defeatable line doublers.

I dislike the overly "digital" appearance of upconverted 480i material on most sets and would simply prefer to view it interlaced.
Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 01:00 PM

There was a Sampo set a couple of years ago that lacked line doubler alltogether. So you'd get your HDTV or 480p when using a set-top box or prog. scan. DVD player and plain vanilla NTSC for 480i.
My DVDs

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 05 2003 - 11:23 PM

Quote:
I dislike the overly "digital" appearance of upconverted 480i material on most sets and would simply prefer to view it interlaced.

I absolutely agree with this. Although I'd think it more important on a 4:3 set, since most 16:9 material would be available in progressive (?). What country are you in?
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 06 2003 - 04:02 AM

I live in Toronto, Canada. Currently, there's not a great deal of HD programming available. The vast majority is still 4:3 480i.

I vaguely seem to remember hearing something about the Panasonic sets - that the line doubler could be switched off by hitting a "game" preset. I did a search but couldn't find any info on this. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...