What's new

ENTERPRISE's "radical new direction" (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think it all means: Blah Blah Blah... Jolene Blalock "will sport a new cat suit and hairdo next season." :b

No fooling us! The whole plot was created to sex up T'Pol! :D

This is Berman and Bragga we're talking about fellas.

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup, it's as I feared. Instead of ripping off their own previous work, they're now ripping off Space Battleship Yamato (starblazers)

Don't belive me? Quick story summary:

After Gamilon Planet bombs turn the surface of the Earth to a radioactive glaze(except in this case as a precursor to colonization), and radiation is slowly leaking down to our underground safe zones, an urgent message is recieved from the planet Iscandar that they have a device to cleanse the Earth of radiation, so the Yamato sets out to retrieve the device, and in the meantime dodge Gamilon patrols and other nasty things

New Enterprise:

A mysterious probe blasts the surface of the Earth in a pre-emptive strike and reduces half a hemisphere to dirt. They're going to attack again, and they send the Starship Enterprise on a journey to retrieve peace, and in the meantime dodge the Klingons who are pissed off at them

Yay, let's hear it for the orignal thinking of B&B

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Im not a huge enterprise fan as all of the non arc shows arent that great. Even though i did enjoy this weeks episode. I will toon in for the borg episode. from stuff ive heared from the writer of the episode it fits in with everything thats happened in TNG and later first contact. As for the season finale and on. Its about time they changed the show around. It should have been done at the end of the first season. All the trouble the crew has been in , its surprising they have started a war yet. Even though the plot is a bit different they have said it wont be every single episode like DS9's war arc was.

capt

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Good god, they just won't let that "threat from the future" temporal cold war plot die...

As viewers will learn, this is a preemptive strike by an alien race known as the Xindi (that’s Zin-dee), who have obtained knowledge that Earth will destroy their home world 400 years in the future
So, a previously unheard of species conveniently 100 years a head of the TNG/DS9/Voyager (I consider that the "present" in the Trek universe) decides to try to bomb a nascent space culture back into the stone age for something they MIGHT do centuries in the future. Forget the fact that the Federation, of with Humanity is only one member, (no matter how human centric the stories have been on occasion we have to remember that Humans are only one member species) would not allow such an attack to occur.

So what do they do? Send the Enterprise off to find the new race and either sue for peace or blow them out of the water first. So, Archer will sue for peace with an unknown species in the Enterprise timeline for attacks that will occur from this species in the future.

WTF? What sort of justification would there be for Enterprise attacking them? NONE, these people are Innocent. The Enterprise and the Earth Starfleet would be engaged in an act of genocide on the scale of the future race's acts...

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Stupid even.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
On the same thoughts...

Why they hell didn't they stick with the timeline and have this as the initial strike in the pivotal Earth-Romulan war?

That would have kept a fair number of us happy, and given them the "conflict" they think is needed to save the series.

Edited for heat of the moment spelling errors

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
They are all innocent

- - now where have I heard those words before? Oh, never mind, it was the news.

If you get on the roller-coaster and go for a ride, you're stuck with whatever way it turns. At least it sounds better than getting stuck with the Borg (they can get tiring after ahile).

I have a feeling that after the retrofit, Archer isn't going to let anyone stand in his way, and he's going to piss a lot of other races off - and I just love the way the Vulcans don't do crap to help us out. Oh, what if they made the whole thing up - just to screw the Earthlings over? Why can I see them doing that?

Glenn

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
There was also a war with the Romulans, as stated in the first episode of TOS that has Romulans.

When Berman first talked about the new direction, I said we should wait to see it first before we judge. But this is not looking good. Why concoct new enemies and wars when you could do so much with Klingons and Romulans and Vulcans, allowing for a more believable telling of the building of the Federation while preserving continuity?

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Jeff, nope the Earth-Romlulan war. The devastation that resulted in the war was one of the reasons that Earth, Mars, the human colonies on Alpha Centari, as well as the Vulcans, Tellarites and Andorians formed the Federation of Planets.

Earth was nearly defeated in the war, having been pushed back to Pluto before managing to drive the Romulans off (never told how but I would suspect that the rushed building of Warp 5 capable NX class starships would be a good reason.) The entire war was fought at low warp and sublight speeds, and having high speed ships would likely give Earth a big advantage.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I too have seen the parallels between this and certain political leaders and decisions but have refrained from mentioning it. Skates too close to the politics no-no line IMHO.

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree that it does sound like it was inspired by Starblazers/Yamato. I don't mind that at all as the source material is so good that it has a chance of influencing the serries in a good direction. :)

Besides it is not like there isn't a long running history of Star Trek stealing from Yamato. One of my favorite Starblazers sites has an articulate description of the largest offenses:

An even greater similarity can be seen in the plotlines of the second season (dealing with the Comet Empire) and the Star Trek movie, "The Search for Spock". In these, both the Argo and the Enterprise are threatened with forced retrofits. The captains of both take their ships and break out of their docks on a renegade mission. Further similarities exist between the movies, "Yamato: New Journey" and "The Wrath of Khan", as both ships are caught off-guard with a compliment of unprepared cadets. In each case, the Star Blazers stories preceded the production of the Star Trek movies by several years. - http://www.desslok.com/
To make the lift even more obvious, after both ships are stolen by thier crew's, they are forced into a standoff confrontation with the "new more modern ship".

I do love Starblazers/Yamato so I am happy to see it influencing new shows. I figure if they steal from it faithfully enough it could be really cool. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think this is laughable. If they want to go in a new direction and bring viewers back they are going to have to do more than change T'pols catsuit.
Do they think 14 year old boys are all that watch Enterprise?
So now they are going to play up the explosions with a war.
Hmmm.
What happend to the birth of the Federation?
Why have we never heard of these aliens in past Treks?
They are grabbing at straws.
I just wish it would be over.
Get Chris Carter or someof the writers to reinvent this mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks