What's new

X-Files Season Eight Cover? (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

That's what DVD Empire has up. Tiny, yes, but if it's correct, this means the're changing the visual style of the boxes. Ugh. Hopefully the spines will still match...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

This was three weeks AFTER Amazon had started posted pre-order information for these items, a few days after I noticed DVDSoon had the same items for pre-order...

...and a couple of days before DVDEmpire posted the same items, including 4 pieces of "cover art" for that group (among which is the X-Files cover above!).

It may be a temp cover, but then again it may not be. Although Fox hasn't made that available at their account-driven press site, they often push covers to retailers long before the press has them. As I said when I posted that art a week-and-a-half-ago, "X-Files is markedly different, but after sleeping on it I am thinking that it probably is in keeping with the stylistic change to the opening credits that accompanied DD's departure."

IF (and this is a big "IF") the guys at Fox decided to lower the prices on S8 and S9 because of "Little-or-No Duchovny" (to pay royalties to...though Anderson increased hers during those years, so they perhaps still can't), then changing the packaging style a bit would be a good way to section off those releases from the others. But they might STILL use DD's face on the covers to "sell" the merchandise...after all, they were in a quest to find him or protect him in the various stories, right?

Just some thoughts. :)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Yeah, he appeared in about four episodes, I believe.

He didn't actually leave until Season 9, and that's still a joke because he came back for the last episode.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that's a scan of the "Coming in November, X-Files The Complete 8th Season" insert

Rick P

Supporting Actor
I'm just waiting till people scream when they switch to the ThinPak packaging for TV releases (Family Guy, Futurama) for X-Files, MASH, etc..

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All indications are that series already started will retain current packaging, while new series will be thinpack

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That site also posted temp Alias artwork.
That "temp" artwork for Alias had been available at Disney's press site. Sometimes covers get changed for various reasons. It happens more and more lately, which is why it's hard to distinguish "temp art" from "early cover".

Clearly with the X-Files I was wrong and it was indeed temp art that the e-tailer used on their own; that link to the trading card is just too wild for me! :D

Temp art that a seller posts on their own, with no help from the studio, is just an attempt to garner additional attention because they claim to have the "goods" first. It's a "neener, neener...we have some artwork posted!" situation.

Time for me to jump on my soapbox here...

If anyone from that (or any other) e-tailer happens by this discussion, I would encourage them not to do that anymore. It misleads your customers and upsets them. When someone sees a piece of artwork that you are insinuating will be the cover, they can either love it so much and be disappointed when it turns out to be something else that they won't buy it (or anything else) from YOU, or else they can hate the "packaging" so much that a marginal release just won't get bought.

Yeah, here at HTF we criticize the packaging of DVDs *A LOT*...justifiably so in way too many cases. But nevertheless, even if we enthusiasts don't agree with the "least common denominator" approach to covers on home video releases, the marketing dept. at each studio really does make an effort to create a cover that they feel will maximize sales throughout the mass market.

Any seller who circumvents that process is going out of their way to basically lose sales in the long run, one way or the other. It is far better to just wait and leave the artwork box blank for a while.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Any seller who circumvents that process is going out of their way to basically lose sales in the long run, one way or the other. It is far better to just wait and leave the artwork box blank for a while.
I don't really see this as much of an issue - surly by the time somebody is seriously considering pre-ordering an item and done most of the price checking the "real" cover will be available and on the retailer's site (or the site of some other retailer).

That said, there doesn't seem to be much point in showing something that looks very much like a cover, if in fact it isn't.

Should the retailer need an image to go with their stock listing, wouldn't a simple logo be better?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I was just upset because had it actually been the real cover and Fox decided to forgo the previous design of the X-Files boxes, we'd never know what color seasons 8 and 9 would be!! Noooooo....... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks