-

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung HLN617W vs Sony 61" LCD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Elias

Elias

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 03:32 PM

Hi everyone,

Due to an unexpected prize, I have recently acquired the means to purchase a TV around $5000-6000. I am seriously considering purchasing a Samsung HLN617W 61" DLP TV, mostly because I love the brightness of the image as well as the small TV size. I am curious as to your opinions as to whether I should consider the Sony 61" LCD over the Samsung 61" DLP. I understand both run around the same price. Does anyone have any experience with these TV's? Should I not be buying either of them?

Many thanks in advance for your input on this major purchase decision.

Elias Aliprandis

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:49 AM

Elias:

The Samsung HLN617W has been #1 on HDTV my wish list for some time now. I'm simply not ready to spend th $$$ right now. Regardless, I think it's an excellent decision. I've seen this set in action (in-store @ Tweeter) & it's VERY impressive ... blows away the plasma sets.

The one issue you may want to consider is bulb life. Be aware that ALL DLP projectors use rather expensive bulbs (say ~$300.00) that typically must be replaced with every 1500-2000 hours of use ... so you're looking at $0.15 - $0.20 per hour running cost.

If this were my primary TV in the house, I would say it would be on 3-4 hours per day & approx 6 days per week. This works out to approx 1000 hrs per year ... so I would be looking at bulb replacement every 2 years.

I just purchased a DLP front proj., but will only use it for a few movies per week ... so bulb life is a non-issue.

Scott

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 04:02 AM

The Samsung is also high on my list. Some things to note:

The Samsung has 1 dedicated component input for 480 sources (like your DVD player) and 2 HD component inputs for anything other than 480i.

The Samsung has the Farajuda chip for up-conversion, but this only works on 480i input (Cable TV box, VCR, -standard video).

The Samsung converts everything to 720p to fit the HD2 DLP chip. I believe all DLP's must do this so it should not be a big deal.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 04:58 AM

The new Samsung DLP RPTV bulbs are rated at 8000 hrs, and current replacement costs are about $260. The 61 does use the bigger (120W?) bulb, so it might be a little more.

I have a 507, and I love it.

Markd

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 01:48 PM

Geez, I was coming in to ask everyone about the 50" of each.
We currently have a 8 year old Pioneer 60" "Wide-screen" RPTV. I was looking at the DLP and the LCD mostly to bring the actual physical depth down a bit. Here at the new house, it really, really sticks out.

Any other pros or cons? I am really curious about the Sony.

P.S. No found money here, just three years of badgering the spouse. She's finally relented.
Posted Image

Thanks in advance.
A friend helps you move.
A good friend helps you move a body.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Me

Jeff Me

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted April 28 2003 - 02:04 PM

Check out this thread

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Elias

Elias

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 02:26 PM

Thank you everyone for the info. I finally decided on the Samsung HLN617W. I bought it from Tweeter along with the Triple 20 and Synergy 40 furniture units from Salamander Designs. I think this promises to be an excellent purchase.

Elias