-

Photo
- - - - -

Audio/Video Amplifier (Intergrated amp)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Antonio Benedicto

Antonio Benedicto

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 03:46 AM

Are there any 5 channel amps out there with everything built into it (dd-dts-DPLII) but without a tuner ? I never listen to radio stations at home and I was wondering if there are such amps.

#2 of 6 Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 04:01 AM

They are called receivers, but almost all come with a tuner. No big deal actually, if you don't need 'em, just don't use 'em
My Home Theater page. Click on the "home theater" link on the top menu bar.

#3 of 6 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 04:22 AM

They are called receivers, but almost all come with a tuner

Actually, receivers by definition have a tuner. That's the receiving part of it, otherwise, as mentioned, they are integrated amplifiers. That being said... I really have no idea if there are multi-channel integrated amps. I would think not. I would just get a receiver anyway, and not use the tuner, it gives you many more options than finding the one or two integrated multi-channel amps/processor w/o a tuner, (if such a thing esxists). If you have the cash though, I guess separates would work, as the processors usually don't have tuners built in. I say you just get a receiver and just don't listen to the radio.

#4 of 6 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 26 2003 - 05:42 AM

This is where to post about amplifiers. And there are a number of surround-sound integrated amplifiers (combination preamps and power amps on one chassis) available.

#5 of 6 Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 04:19 AM

The high-end Yamaha units like the DSP-A1 (discontinued) dont include receivers. I think it's replacement follows this tradition.

But I agree, dont reject a good "Integrated Amp" just because it has a tuner or a phonograph input.

#6 of 6 Arup

Arup

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted April 27 2003 - 03:38 PM

Check out Yamaha's awesome DSP-AZ1. It has everything except THX. Excellent sound for HT and equaly good with 2 ch stereo mode. Sound comes very close to Yamaha's class A MX-2 seperate amplifier.

Read one of it's many reviews at http://www.homecinem....ahaDSP-AZ1.php