What's new

Wilco E.P. (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
There's bad news and good news for Wilco fans. The Australian EP will not be issued in North America. It will however be available for download on Wilco's web-site to everyone who bought their last album.
My local paper had an article(written by Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune) saying that it would be available today, but a trip to the site says it will be up tomorrow. There will be six songs to download as well as recording info and three different covers and titles-More Like The Moon, Australian EP and The Bridge.
It sounds as if the band was happy with the outcome of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot being downloaded off their site. Hopefully we will see more songs this way. I would love to hear alot of the alternate takes from YHF.
The search function was down, so I hope this has not been posted before.

Regards
KrisM

NP - The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I wonder why they can't issue an EP CD? Strange.

You need Quicktime 6 so I wonder how they will issue the download? mp3? quicktime stream?

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm trying to download it, but all the links say I don't have access. You have to enter a code off of YHF to get in. I'm sure it's too much traffic.

The three covers are really nice.

Streamed a listen, and some of the songs are really good. The new Kamera (Camera) is closer to the one you hear at the beginning of I'm Trying to Break Your Heart (the movie). Harder guitars.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Well, damn. Wonder why they cancelled it here. At least they're making it available (not that I don't have those songs already, through ulterior means. . .) ;)

Re: The Minus Five and Wilco, Down with Wilco.

I really probably shouldn't be commenting on it, as I've only listened to about half of it so far. However, the reason for that--is that it just didn't grab me. I know, I need to really listen to it at least a few times, but that one time, it did nothing for me at all. Just my opinion.

I will say, though, that the Loose Fur album, I like a whole lot (LF is a side project with Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche, and Jim O'Rourke) Grabbed me instantly. Definitely more Wilco-y to me than the Minus Five thing. One of the songs, "Laminated Cat", is on the I am Trying to Break Your Heart DVD somewhere (can't remember if its in the film, or if its one of the extra songs on Disc 2, though). If you have the DVD, check it out to give you an idea. . .

KrisM

Second Unit
There was a quote from the article that said they "didn't want to sell a 21 minute record for 10 bucks or whatever it would cost to get in stores". The quote was from their 'digital strategist Ken Waagner.

Regards
KrisM

Jason_H

Second Unit
There was a quote from the article that said they "didn't want to sell a 21 minute record for 10 bucks or whatever it would cost to get in stores". The quote was from their 'digital strategist Ken Waagner.
Well, that is unfortunate since now I'm going to wind up dishing out $20 for the Australian 2CD YHF to get it. It's a nice gesture that they are giving away the MP3s, but MP3s don't cut it for me sound-quality wise.

I found a place to get the Aussie 2CD YHF for $21 shipped, anybody know of a cheaper place? My girlfriend will be the proud new owner of my current US copy.

KrisM

Second Unit
Has anybody downloaded the whole thing or the cover(s) yet? I have every song except the last one. The page shows an 8mb file but the download screen shows a file under 2mb. When I tried to play it, it stopped after a minute or so. Anyone else have any luck with this track?
I also had trouble with the Bridge cover. It printed out about 1/4inch too small. Is this in the file or am I doing something wrong. I am not too familiar with Adobe Acrobat so any help would be cool.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The cover printed out too small for me, too. I'll have to mess with that later.

The best thing to do as far as downloading the music goes is to download the one big file that has the entire EP. It took about 90 minutes or less with a 56k modem.

When you unzip the file, you get six separate BIN files. It took some experimenting, but I got a perfect CD when burned them in the proper order using Nero Express. The files burned as WAV files without me needing to do any sort of conversion.

If you use Nero Express, be sure to uncheck Normalize, and check the box to eliminate pauses between tracks because some of the songs blend together.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,
Are any of you audiophile wilco fans interested in settting up a cdr chain so we dont all have to shell out 20 bucks for the ep. Given that they are giving it away for free and it wont be available in the US, there is no piracy issue involved. We can just verify the owners of YHF the same way as the website.

Let me know

Jeff

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
There was a quote from the article that said they "didn't want to sell a 21 minute record for 10 bucks or whatever it would cost to get in stores".
Funny, Wheat managed to make their 22 minute record available for two bucks, though I guess it technically isn't in a store. I'm displeased with the MP3 thing as well...but, unlike Jason, I'm not $21 displeased. Sigh...

RobertW

Supporting Actor
I also had trouble with the Bridge cover. It printed out about 1/4inch too small. Is this in the file or am I doing something wrong. I am not too familiar with Adobe Acrobat so any help would be cool.
i emailed them about that, and they were certain the images were the proper size. they told me that i had to make sure i printed them out at 100%, but when i set my acrobat zoom at 100%, and the printer dialogue also said zoom was 100%, it still printed out small.

but i noticed that when my print dialogue window came up, there were two boxes that were checked. one was "auto-rotate and center page", but that shouldn't affect the size. the other said "shrink over-sized pages to paper size". even though they weren't oversized pages, i unchecked both boxes anyway, and this time it printed out at the proper size. so i guess it was shrinking the pages somewhat. don't know if your printer software has some similar settings, but you might want to check it out and see what you can change.

as for bitrate, when i changed them from mp3 to wav in order to burn to cd, they showed up as 192 kps. but it's only six songs.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Speaking of Jeff Tweedy; has anyone bought the new Uncle Tupelo re-issues? I read they were re-mastered and include some extras. Since the UT/Son Volt/Wilco triumvirate has made some of my favorite music, a re-buy might be in order. Sorry to veer a little off-topic.

Thanks,
Mike

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Mike - I just picked up March 16-20, 1992. 4 extra tracks. Definitely worth picking up.

...still can't download... :angry::

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I was going to ask about the Uncle Tupelo remasters as well. March 16-20, 1992 is the only album I don't own (in CD form), and my copy is in transit. I've seen the remastered Anodyne in stores, which also has extra tracks.

KrisM

Second Unit
RobertW, thanks, I'll give it try with those settings.

Patrick, I had trouble downloading on the first day. An error message would keep popping up. I just kept on trying and eventually the downloads started. I also found that for the last track, the second connection was better. The first one only gave me about a minute of the song.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Wilco - Australian EP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks