-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Look out Divx round two may be near!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 Brian Olson

Brian Olson

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:32 AM

While walking through my local shopping mall this weekend I was approached by a gal doing marketing research (there is a marketing research business in the mall). She asked me my age and if I owned a DVD player. She then proceeded to lead me to their offices (in the mall) in order for me to view some materials.

What I was exposed to was some preliminary logos, names, and store mock-up photos of what can only be described as Divx 2.

They're calling it POPDVD (Purchase, Open, Play), LTD (Limited Time DVD), or Play2Day. They're basically DVD's with an "unlimited" 48 hour viewing. They had pictures of stands in grocery stores, gas stations, and video rental stores. The purchase price mentioned was $5.99.

I pretty much made my opinion clear that I thought it was a bad idea that has already failed miserably once (ala, Divx).

Anyone else heard of this potential menace to the DVD world?

#2 of 36 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:41 AM

They just never learn their lesson, do they? I hope they try it, and that it fails miserably again. Why is that they never stop me for these kind of surveys?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 36 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 16 2003 - 04:56 AM

I say bring it on!

When DIVX was introduced, DVD had only been available regionally for a few months, and nationally for a couple of weeks. DVD had hardly scratched the home video market.

Now, six years later, DVD is the dominant home video format. Alternate means of delivery will be insignificant, now that the studios understand the power and profitability of DVD.

- Steve

#4 of 36 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:12 AM

I hope they try this format and loose millions of dollars on it.

It's not a question of whether the studios "get it" or not, its a question of what their ultimate goal is (what the consumer wants is almost irrelevant) What they ideally want is a pay-per view only world where you pay them each and every time you watch "their" movie. They don't want people to "own" a copy of a movie because they only get to sell it to you once (or maybe 2 or 3 times).

Don't be fooled into thinking that the market place is customer-driven, there are only a handful of multi-national corporations involved here, and they believe that they can direct the market by limiting choices and through marketing.

#5 of 36 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, they've been trying to do it for awhile. There's a chemical that upon expoure to air slowly becomes opaque on the disc

Basically this will lead to ultra-cheap DVD as soon as someone figures out a solution that neutralizes the process

#6 of 36 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:26 AM

I forget where I read it - someplace like CNN.com, I'm sure - but I heard that several states including Calf. were discussing bills to ban these things. The idea being that they would just lead to landfill waste, etc. since they "are not reusable".

Now, if you got a quarter every time you turned one in for recycling, that would be neat... Posted Image

But I would have no intention of buying them. It defeats the purpose of building a library of movies that you can watch anytime you feel like it. If I wanted a "throwaway, watch-it-one-time" movie service, I'd look into VOD, right?

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#7 of 36 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:29 AM

As Steve stated so eliquently, bring it on! And we'll crush it into it's grave just as we did that first unholy abomination!

I did a dance of joy when the first one went down like the Hindenberg, and I WILL dance again. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#8 of 36 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:42 AM

As David says, Video on Demand technology will fill this niche. Even a basic rental (5 days at many places now) would be cheaper than this $5.99 48-hour scheme. The environmental landfill problem is a real one. These shiny petroleum-based discs will last forever. I don't think this business model has any legs.

#9 of 36 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 05:43 AM

Quote:
It's not a question of whether the studios "get it" or not, its a question of what their ultimate goal is (what the consumer wants is almost irrelevant) What they ideally want is a pay-per view only world where you pay them each and every time you watch "their" movie. They don't want people to "own" a copy of a movie because they only get to sell it to you once (or maybe 2 or 3 times).

Don't be fooled into thinking that the market place is customer-driven, there are only a handful of multi-national corporations involved here, and they believe that they can direct the market by limiting choices and through marketing
Right on!Posted Image Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#10 of 36 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 16 2003 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
Don't be fooled into thinking that the market place is customer-driven, there are only a handful of multi-national corporations involved here, and they believe that they can direct the market by limiting choices and through marketing

If that were the truth, they'd have forced widescreen on the masses and we wouldn't have the dual AR mess we have now.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 36 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 06:24 AM

This has been in the works for two years or so. Originally was going to be used for promotional DVDs which would self-destruct shortly after opening as said above. Mr. Phelps will deny any knowledge of the user.

#12 of 36 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 07:18 AM

Bring it on & we'll stomp this format into the ground. Can't these marketing people get it into their head that DIVX failed & DIVX2 will fail also.

#13 of 36 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 08:37 AM

This isn't really the same thing as DiVX as it doesn't have a renewal sysstem. It's meant more as a replacemnt for rentals, I'd think.
My Collection

#14 of 36 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 16 2003 - 09:00 AM

Quote:
It's meant more as a replacemnt for rentals, I'd think.

Seems doomed for failure. When I can get a 5-day rental for $1.99, what would ever get me to purchase a 2-day disposable disc for $5.99?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#15 of 36 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 09:10 AM

You don't have to return it, mainly.
My Collection

#16 of 36 DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 10:42 AM

I actually see it as an alternative to dual aspect ratios on dvd. Divx2 if priced right could potentially take over the J6P market, and if it's like the original Divx that means MAR presentations across the board. If it turns out this way I say it's a good thing. The collectors will go for the widescreen dvds while everyone else can watch the Pan & Scammed rentals, leaving dvd to concentrate disc real estate on the widescreen version.

#17 of 36 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 10:39 AM

First round knockout!
DVD over POPDVD.
Play2Day, GONE tomorrow!Posted Image
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#18 of 36 Daniel Lee

Daniel Lee

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 10:48 AM

I've heard of this too. From what I can tell it is not like DivX. These discs are supposed to be standard DVD’s and can operate in any DVD player, whereby DIVX required special players. I think it’ll be fine, for those that want to buy, they just won’t use this. VOD will eventually settle all this anyway. Also, I’m pretty sure discs are plastic and if the silver media inside is removed the plastic is recyclable.

Dan

#19 of 36 Brian Olson

Brian Olson

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
I've heard of this too. From what I can tell it is not like DivX. These discs are supposed to be standard DVD’s and can operate in any DVD player, whereby DivX required special players.

While the technology may be different, the concept is the same as DIVX. I guess what I'm most concerned about is the potential loss of high quality, feature packed releases from our favorite studios if something like this were to catch on in the mass market. I truly hope that would never happen.

#20 of 36 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 16 2003 - 12:33 PM

The concept isn't the same as DiVX. With DiVX, the idea was to sell something to someone once and have them keep paying for it. This is a rental you don't have to return.
My Collection

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow