What's new

Denon 3802 owners...question on component video switching (1 Viewer)

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
i own a denon 3802 and am thinking of getting a plasma display. if i want to use the component video out from my dvd player and component video out from an HD cable box, i will need to use my 3802 to do the switching. i know this unit will not do upconversion, but i dont care about that. i just want to know if its bandwidth is high enough that the component signals are switched through cleanly with no degradation in signal. thanks in advance for your comments.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
It will work but you'll get some softening. The 3802 is only rated to 27Mhz. You need 37Mhz minimum to get HD without degradation.

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
thanks chuck, but why would denon do something that stupid when the primary purpose of component video is HDTV? they knew, even when the 3802 was being designed, that HDTV was here. also, if i buy an HDTV tuner box, will it have multiple component inputs and therefore provide switching?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor

Who knows? My guess is profitability. No one else was really offering it a year or so ago in that price range either. There would still be a darn good picture with 480p thru 27Mhz component inputs. But HD they're not...

Would an HD tuner offer switching? My 1st guess is no but if it's something you need, you would just have to look for one that does. (Or go direct to the HDTV.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks