What's new

Why does everyone always go ballistic over inserts? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Half the time it's just a list of chapters, something which is near useless as they're contained in the disc itself.

Unless a booklet contains actual information and/or liner notes, why do you care? With the ThinPaks looking at possibly becoming the standard, they're going to be left out ore and more

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
By "ballistic", do you mean people who complain about DVD releases that do not have inserts to begin with, or people who complain about receiving DVDs that do have inserts, but were not included in their particular DVD?

In my case, I am guilty of the later, not the former, simply because I expect to get everything I am supposed to when I pay good money for something. Otherwise, I am merely curious if a release isn't intended to have an insert, as it is usually not the norm, though I do not get upset if the intent is not to have one.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t care, except for some Criterion’s.

And I’d guess that most who rent don’t really care much, especially if their prime source is Netflix.

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand concern about inserts, or cover art, the minutiae of menus, the lack of 5.1 sound on films that originally had mono soundtracks, or the lack of extras that are only going to be watched once, anyway.

I just want a nicely transferred film, in its appropriate aspect ratio. If I have that, and can press "play" and watch the movie, I'm happy.

To me, everything else is just a waste of time.

Charlie

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've never made an issue about it, but I hate it when the case doesn't come with something containing a chapter listing.

I find it much easier to find the chapter that I want to view, rather than have to use the clumsy chapter finding feature that is on most discs. If you want to find a later chapter often, there is quite a few selections that you have to go through.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Discs without inserts don't bother me, but it is kind of weird seeing the insert tabs with nothing to hold. Feels like something is missing.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I really hate it when there's no chapter listing. I'd rather it be on an insert, but the back of the box (like Lion's Gate does) or even on the flip side of keepcase insert (some Anime' titles come to mind) is okay (the last is a pain-in-the-butt to use, though).

Why do I want 'em? When I am watching a film on a repeat viewing, and decide mid-course I want to just skip straight to a favorite scene, the chapter list comes in rather handy so I can just punch numbers into the remote.

Yes, I could interupt the movie, navigate to the screen select menu, navigate through and hope that the sample screens shown there with tiny numbers under them HAPPEN to represent the scene I'm thinking of.

But I prefer the descriptive nature of an insert card. It suits my style. For me, It's more convenient than the on-screen menu. And, judging by the bitching-and-moaning of others when an insert is not provided, it suits the style of many others as well.

Think about all the different designs to various screen selection menus, and how much an irritation many of them can be, and you see where I'm coming from.

I guess it's easy to say that those who aren't concerned with using them practically should not worry about it if it's missing. But if they get tired of that item and sell it to me, I will certainly be upset if it's missing something I know I'll be using.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Considering a single-page insert with a chapter listing has to be THE cheapest part of a DVD release, it does seem kind of chintzy to leave one out, especially with non-bargainbin releases.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think a lot of it has to do with the price being paid for a disc. If a bargain title doesn't have an insert, no problem, but if it is higher priced, it does seem a bit of a rip off not to have something inside the case.

I still haven't figured out why I am so attracted to the stupid limited edition packins I get with anime DVDS. I guess it is just a sense of having gotten some additional value for my dollar.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
The only inserts that I care about are Anchor Bay's terrific poster replica insert sheets. :emoji_thumbsup:

But...the last 3 new Anchor Bay discs that I bought didn't have any poster replica included (Winter Kills, The Man Who Fell to Earth and the Musketeer Collection).
I hope this isn't new policy. :frowning:

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
It matters not. Big old poster, little one-pager with chapter listings, advertisements for other movies, whatever. I ignore it until the first time it falls out when I open the case and then I drop it in the wastebin. The only feature I want is to be able to look at the outside of the DVD case and see the name of the movie, whether it's "enhanced for 16:9" and what the running time is. The rest is noise. I buy them for what's on the DVD, not the case.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Probably because the insert is usually the most trivial part of the entire package. When a company doesn't even care enough to make the most trival effort to include an insert, it can be indicative of their efforts toward the entire DVD.

-Dave

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Single page inserts are useless. I do like those with production notes, though.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
When I am watching a film on a repeat viewing, and decide mid-course I want to just skip straight to a favorite scene, the chapter list comes in rather handy so I can just punch numbers into the remote.
But don't you have to have the case/insert with you while viewing and/or get up and turn on the light to see the listings? That seems as much a bother to me as simply hitting the menu button and accessing the chapters.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
What are these ThinPaks you say are becoming a standard? Is there an example title that came packed in this? Hopefully you didn't mean the Warner Snapper... I think those are on their way out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
But don't you have to have the case/insert with you while viewing and/or get up and turn on the light to see the listings? That seems as much a bother to me as simply hitting the menu button and accessing the chapters.
I always have sufficient light behind me or off to the sides to read by (I don't have a dedicated HT room like some of you rich folk out there do; my setup is part of my living room...so a kitchen or hall light on keeps the LR dark enough for "theater" experience yet keeps us from stumbling around). I always place the case (with the insert) on the table next to the couch, right beside the remote. It's always a grab away.

I never have to get up while viewing unless it's for a snack or bathroom run, or an interuption like a ringing phone (fortunately pretty rare at my house).

Why, where do YOU guys put the case while you're viewing the disc that came from it? :confused: Do you have a special "Now Being Viewed" display pedestal for the case like you see at some video stores? :laugh:

StephenA

Screenwriter
I like having inserts, but don't complain if a DVD doesn't have one. It's funny to see what they name some of the chapters. For instance on the insert of the Transformer DVD they call a chapter "swear word", which made my sister and I laugh the first time we read it for some odd reason. I usually don't use the chapter search on the DVD itself, unless I want to jump straight to a scene without starting uo the whole movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks