Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

It's official, Miracles has been cancelled

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 07:45 AM

http://www.thefutonc....wswire&id=5854

Bastards. Maybe the ratings wouldn't have gone down every week if thay hadn't stopped promoting it and constantly pre-empting it.
Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 04 2003 - 07:56 AM

Yep, ABC kills another good show. This would be a good pick-up for another smaller network if they're willing to give it a chance.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:26 AM

duplicate post
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:28 AM

That stinks. Talk about killing a show by lack of consistant airings and promotion. Hopefully, they will air the remaining 6 episodes. I mean even if the ratings stink. How much better can repeats of the Practice(which isn't doing that great) be? And you already spent the money for the episodes and it is not a sweeps month. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
Bastards. Maybe the ratings wouldn't have gone down every week if thay hadn't stopped promoting it and constantly pre-empting it.
Of course, ratings were going down before they did those things, too.

I think it might just have been in a bad situation - premiering just as its popular competion was showing new episodes and ABC couldn't afford low ratings, and then running into the war. It probably also didn't help that the series didn't quite match the pilot and title. Folks tuning into Miracles got a good show, but not one about "miracles" (and people looking for smart horror didn't think they'd find it in a show called Miracles).

Of course, it had tough competition - Dragnet was very lucky in that Boomtown chose the week Dragnet disappeared to go away, but Miracles had to go up against CSI Miami on CBS and either Crossing Jordan or the oddly-popular Meet My Folks on NBC. A timeslot change would have been a good idea, but to where? It's clearly a 10pm show, but that means either displacing Dragnet, putting it up against tough competition on Wednesday/Thursday, or where there's little audience on Friday/Saturday (or giving it The Family's timeslot, but then what happens when NYPD Blue returns?).

Sometimes shows just have bad luck. The good thing is that when that happens, the industry generally knows it and the people involved bounce back with other good projects.

Quote:
I mean even if the ratings stink. How much better can repeats of the Practice(which isn't doing that great) be? And you already spent the money for the episodes and it is not a sweeps month. Posted Image
Well, even if it's not a sweeps month, ratings are still being measured, and ABC still has to refund advertisers if ratings come in under a certain "guaranteed" amount, which Miracles almost certainly did with that 1.8 rating.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:06 PM

I think this would be a good pick-up for UPN or maybe Fox. I can't see any other networks wantign it.
My Collection

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:06 PM

Hey perhaps they can replace it with a new "reality" show .."AMERICA"S DUMBEST TV EXECUTIVES"

Quote:
A timeslot change would have been a good idea, but to where?

How about Saturday night there's nothing good on then.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Barry Woodward

Barry Woodward

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 01:27 PM

ABC = Already Been Cancelled

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
A timeslot change would have been a good idea, but to where?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No audience, either - that's why ABC currently programs that evening with theatrical features that have already played in a higher-profile timeslot, Fox uses cheap unscripted programming, NBC puts out Law & Order reruns and Meet My Folks. CBS is the only network that programs that night for good reason, and they use older-skewing programs than Miracles. And Miracles has some production values, so it's probably too expensive for Saturday night to be considered a permanent home.

That said, I sort of have to wonder why ABC doesn't burn Veritas, MDs, and Miracles off there. The remaining episodes are sunk costs, and maybe one or two of the shows could earn a second chance if it doesn't shed audience on a weekly basis.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 02:02 PM

GodDAMN!Posted Image Another decent, non-reality, show bites the dust!!! I was one of the few who liked FREAKYLINKS, and now this. I wish I remember to tape these shows!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 04:15 PM

UPN can't afford to pick up anyone's castoffs, cause they're going to be cast off pretty soon themselves Posted Image

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:
No audience, either

Maybe if they put something good on there would be an audience...it's not rocket science.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 02:31 AM

No, Saturday is DEAD for broadcast television if you're looking for a show marketed to under 40 crowd.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 05:30 AM

damn Posted Image
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, most younger people aren't home on Saturday night, wich makes it a bad night to program anything.

It is really a tough year for genre programming. When the best you can offer is Enterprise, it is pretty sad. Problem is, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Jason

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 08:18 AM

Well I'm 44 and I love Miracles. And if most YOUNG people are home Monday night they're obviously not watching Miracles or they wouldn't be cancelling it.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 08:43 AM

I'd complain about how the marketing wouldn't have made me want to watch it, but it occurs to me that no commercial for any network show has ever made me want to watch it.

For as long as I've been old enough to be a thinking person, critical reputation or proven talent has been all that mattered. Like many of us, I followed David Greenwalt to Miracles. If I were going to second guess the pros, I'd have pushed it as a prestige offering "From Producer David Greenwalt." (Who cares if no one knows who he is?) That's the type of campaign that might have piqued my interest even if I didn't know Greenwalt came from Angel.

And that's an excellent point about the title. It sounds like "Touched by an Angel 2" to the worshipped youth. But I think the REAL problem is that the few smart people in the world already gave up on TV. I can't blame them since according to the media, American Idol is the only thing on. And Joe Millionaire sometimes.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:23 AM

What a crock of Sh1t!
This was the only new show that I liked from this year and they cancelled it?
We will be sure to get more Reality show.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
And that's an excellent point about the title. It sounds like "Touched by an Angel 2" to the worshipped youth.
Well, there's that, but the point I made in the last thread is that Miracles was a pretty good title for the first episode, but that it doesn't fit subsequent episodes so well.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz

Screenwriter

• 2,494 posts

Posted April 07 2003 - 08:31 AM

THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!

Good shows are being cancelled left and right! This madness has to stop!
Andres

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow