Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV- Moving, upgrading to HD and questions about "Dish" dishes.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Luke_Y

Luke_Y

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 04:22 AM

DirecTV- Moving, upgrading to HD and questions about "Dish" dishes.

We have DirecTV and are moving to a new house. With the move I would also like to step up to HD as I will be purchasing an HD ready TV as well when we get settled in. How can I get the best deal from Direct TV? I don't want to pay much if anything for an oval dish and I could do the install myself if it would help get the best deal. That said, I wouldn't mind an installed deal either as I am sure I will have a long honey do list already with a new house Posted Image

Also the new house HAS 2 existing Dish Network dishes installed. Could I use them instead of an oval DirecTV dish? They are a "Dish 300" with one IRD (I think thats what those things are called) and a "Dish 500" with 2 IRDs.

If they wouldn't work for HD, could I use one of them to get up and running in SD until I found a good deal on a oval Dish and a HD receiver?

I have pics of the existing Dish setup if that will help.
Luke

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 04 2003 - 05:37 AM

Read the first paragraph of my post here on how to get a deal from DirecTV.

The Dish500 is already pointed at the 110 and 119 satellites so you would not need to re-point it. Just replace the 110 LNB (not IRD) with a DirecTV Sat-C LNB and connect it to the 119 LNB with the included combiner. Re-point the Dish300 towards the 101 satellite. Combine the two dishes with a 4x4, 5x4, 4x8 or 5x8 multi-switch and you are set. Unfortunately the Dish switches are not compatible with DirecTV.

If you want to go with Dishnetwork service, all you would need is the model 6000 receiver with the 8VSB module for OTA HD and 8PSK module for Discover HD. All of your dishes are in place.

-Robert

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Luke_Y

Luke_Y

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:31 AM

Quote:
Just replace the 110 LNB (not IRD) with a DirecTV Sat-C LNB and connect it to the 119 LNB with the included combiner.

The 2 LNBs on the Dish500 look to be combined in one housing, I don't think I could replace just one. How much would new LNBs be?

Would I honestly just be better off trying to get a deal from DirecTV on the new oval dish setup when I call and tell them I am moving and also want to upgrade to HD?
Luke

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 06 2003 - 01:47 AM

Quote:
The 2 LNBs on the Dish500 look to be combined in one housing
That's a Twin LNB. It's two dual LNBs and an SW42 switch all built into one housing. It will not work.

-Robert

Forum Nav Content I Follow