What's new

DirecTV- Moving, upgrading to HD and questions about "Dish" dishes. (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
DirecTV- Moving, upgrading to HD and questions about "Dish" dishes.

We have DirecTV and are moving to a new house. With the move I would also like to step up to HD as I will be purchasing an HD ready TV as well when we get settled in. How can I get the best deal from Direct TV? I don't want to pay much if anything for an oval dish and I could do the install myself if it would help get the best deal. That said, I wouldn't mind an installed deal either as I am sure I will have a long honey do list already with a new house :)

Also the new house HAS 2 existing Dish Network dishes installed. Could I use them instead of an oval DirecTV dish? They are a "Dish 300" with one IRD (I think thats what those things are called) and a "Dish 500" with 2 IRDs.

If they wouldn't work for HD, could I use one of them to get up and running in SD until I found a good deal on a oval Dish and a HD receiver?

I have pics of the existing Dish setup if that will help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Read the first paragraph of my post here on how to get a deal from DirecTV.

The Dish500 is already pointed at the 110 and 119 satellites so you would not need to re-point it. Just replace the 110 LNB (not IRD) with a DirecTV Sat-C LNB and connect it to the 119 LNB with the included combiner. Re-point the Dish300 towards the 101 satellite. Combine the two dishes with a 4x4, 5x4, 4x8 or 5x8 multi-switch and you are set. Unfortunately the Dish switches are not compatible with DirecTV.

If you want to go with Dishnetwork service, all you would need is the model 6000 receiver with the 8VSB module for OTA HD and 8PSK module for Discover HD. All of your dishes are in place.

-Robert

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Just replace the 110 LNB (not IRD) with a DirecTV Sat-C LNB and connect it to the 119 LNB with the included combiner.
The 2 LNBs on the Dish500 look to be combined in one housing, I don't think I could replace just one. How much would new LNBs be?

Would I honestly just be better off trying to get a deal from DirecTV on the new oval dish setup when I call and tell them I am moving and also want to upgrade to HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks