Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dumb and Dumberer - New Trailer...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Bruce_S

Bruce_S

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

I came around this new trailer for the upcoming summer flick. It looks alright. We'll see how they do against the original.

http://www.comingsoo...anddumberer.php

Enjoy,

bruce

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 09:01 PM

(shoots self in head)
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 10:06 PM

Drives suv off mulholland, still alive, "That's not a new trailer btw, it's the old, first teaser that doesn't have any footage." Then shoots self.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:26 AM

Lenny, there is the teaser and the full trailer on the site. The full trailer is in windows media and the teaser was quicktime.

Seeing how Dumb & Dumber is my all time favorite movie, I was disappointed with the footage. It looks mildly entertaining and I think they did Harry and Lloyd all wrong. They made them caricatures of them, and over the top ones at that. I think they are trying too hard to be funny rather than just being funny.

Only redeeming quality of the trailer was the LOTR music and font.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:55 AM

Well say/think what you will of this prequel, but you have to admit that the guy playing Lloyd Christmas really nailed the part. He looks/acts amazingly like Jim Carrey did. Well done!

I am not convinced that the show itself will be any good, especially with Eugene Levy in it. (He can be okay, but generally I don't care for shows with him in it).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Claire Panke

Claire Panke

Second Unit

• 409 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:50 PM

Jason, you're kidding...right?

No sane human being would admit Dumb and Dumber was his favorite movie, would he??????

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 01:03 PM

Well I may not be sane, but that isn't why Dumb & Dumber is my favorite movie. Posted Image or should that be :b

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 12:12 AM

Being that Jim Carrey is no where near this film, it has been upgraded to "might rent" status.

I couldn't get more than 15 minutes into the original without turning it off.

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:43 AM

(shoots self in head)
(picks up discarded weapon, shoots self in head)

This looks just about as bad as it could be. I've taken a lot of flak because of my admiration of Dumb and Dumber. I think its the shining jewel in the "dumb comedy" genre with excellent comic timing and great commitment from its stars.

This, on the other hand, looks like the worst of the dumb comedy genre took over the reigns. From what I saw, they even brought in teen comedy in this to make it worse.

I was planning on seeing this just out of the hope that it could keep some of the brilliance of the first, but now I see little hope. Posted Image

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor

• 660 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:03 AM

Jason, I got your back. Dumb and Dumber is my all-time favorite movie, too. I still remember the first time I watched it in the theater ... I was crying most of the movie b/c I was laughing so hard. I ended up having to go back and watch it again because I missed at least a third of the dialogue because I was laughing so hard.

I gotta be honest, though. This se-, err ... prequel doesn't look like it will hold up to the original. It almost looks like they're combining Dumb and Dumber with Road Trip and American Pie. The original had the Farrelly brothers, Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels, Lauren Holly (mmm)... and now we've got a bunch of no-names (save Eugene Levy) ... it doesn't look good.
My DVDs ~ Beat Portfolio

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam Horak

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:51 AM

I can not tell you how dissapointed I was to hear that Carrey and Daniels were not back for this movie. After seeing this trailer I have no desire to see it at all. Dumb & Dumber is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Even after seeing it as many time as I have, I still laugh hysterically. It looks like the new one will be a truley horrible flick.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:35 AM

This film looks just like a total disaster. Of course, it will probably make millions from all those too senseless to know any better. Do not ruin a masterpiece by making this ridiculous bantha poo doo.

AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:21 AM

I'm not so down on it after seeing the footage because of one obvious comparison...the "flashback" sequence in Goldmember in which the 3 kids (AP, DrE, #2) were almost funnier than their adult counterparts. That was one of the better parts of that film I felt.

So, it's possible to do and in this case the characters do seem to look like them and have the mannerisms.

But I also agree on the caricature view as well. I can see that.

And I also wondered about them being too with it at times in the trailer. At one point it seems like they are initiating a wet T-shirt contest which seems out of character for guys who let the bikini team bus drive away in the last film.

IMO, if the film fails it will probably be more in the script than from the lack of Carrey/Daniels after all...unless we consider whatever input to the script those 2 had during the filming.

But this is not the end of cinema as we know it. It looks to be 5 times better than Meatballs 3, for example, which really ruined the spirit of the original film (Meatballs 2 didn't exactly help either). It's important to keep our bad films in perspective since it's not like they were just invented this year.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
Do not ruin a masterpiece

Masterpiece?!?!?!?

Ok, reality check guys. This movie (and the original) are SUPPOSED to be dumb! Hence the name! They are TELLING you the movie is dumb IN THE TITLE!

Don't look for cerebral humor here guys. Expect fart jokes and lots of them. Toilet humor will most probably abound, and people will flock to this flick as they did the original, because not everyone in the worlds needs sophisticated humor to amuse themselves.

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:55 AM

Moe, you seem to miss our appreciation for how well the original mastered the concept of a "dumb comedy". I mean, it had every element you had listed in a way that was just side splittingly funny.

It is a masterpiece of stupidity.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 10:40 AM

Yeah that wet t-shirt contest does seem out of character. It was Jim Carrey btw that gave the idea to rewrite the ending to the original. The script had them getting on the bus but Jim said that these guys never would be that smart. Posted Image

Dumb & Dumber may be dumb comedy but I think the subtle and not so subtle mannerisms and emphasis' that Carrey and Daniels bring to the screen are what put this comedy above the average dumb/teen/grossout comedy that we see every other month. In that sense it truely is a masterpiece. Posted Image

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:33 PM

Until reading this thread, I never realized that the original had such a following!
You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason F.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:02 AM

As a HUGE fan of the first movie, it's actually ONE of my favorite movies, but I am really dissapointed at the trailer. I really hope the movie is better than the trailer suggests.
"Wider is Better"

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:42 AM

Wait a sec, Carrey and Daniels aren't even in it?? AAAAHAHHAHAHAHAAHH! Who's the genius who thought up that concept?!
"Make ready, for this is our first and final battle..."