What's new

New Aphex Twin:26 Mixes For Cash (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I picked this up on Tuesday. It's not really "new" Aphex Twin per se, but as the title implies, it's 26 remixes done for money.

There are tracks by Jesus Jones, Nine Inch Nails, and Aphex Twin spread over 2 discs.

The first disc is what I've listened to the most so far. Really mellow and it reminded me of "Selected Ambient Works Volume 1". The remix of 'Journey' is a standout.

From what I've listened to of Disc 2, it's more like the jackhammer beats of "Windowlicker" and "Drukqs". I'll be able to give it a more thorough listen next week while at school.

Anyhow, I know a lot of people were disappointed with "Drukqs" (not me) but 26 Mixes For Cash should win back some fans.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Now there's a band I've been meaning to get into. I did recently pick up my first Massive Attack CD and liked it. Do they have much in common?

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Mike, which Massive Attack did you pick up? I've got Mezzanine, but that's it.

If you're new to the world of Aphex Twin I'd suggest starting with the Richard D. James Album.

Aphex Twin (real name Richard D. James) sounds really only like himself. He's invented his own equipment. He's sampled his friend during a bout of diarrhhea. I'd say the closest sound to Aphex is Global Goon, Bogdan Racynziski, Squarepusher, and Autechre. All of those groups have put out some decent material.

But, to paraphrase The AV Club from The Onion - they seem to lack an "internal logic" that James has.

And many of James' biggest fans will be the first to admit that some of his stuff is hit or miss. For me, there's a lot more hits than misses though.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
He's invented his own equipment
Is that actually true? Back in the early days of the Aphex Twin, there was a lot of hyperbole & "true statements" made about his music & lifestyle that in the 10 years since, he's kinda gone back on. I thought this was one of them.

(just to be clear, I'm talking about the early statements of "he makes all his own electronic instruments").

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Brian,

I'd like to think it's true. Here's a snippet from the All Music Guide:

(If the title Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is to be believed, it contains recordings made at the age of 14.)
That's a great album, but did he really produce some of the songs at 14? Only he knows.

[snip]see my next post [/snip]

I guess my answer is, I don't know for certain. From the sounds I've heard on his albums, I would be willing to believe that he's taken apart equipment and made mods.

Needless to say, James enjoys having fun with the press and any interview with him is always a good read.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
With no recognized qualifications, James went to London in the early 1990s to attend an interview for a sought-after course in Electronics and Micro-Computer design. When he show the interviewers his inventions he was admitted without pause.
Hope that is of some help, but I don't know that Prendergast would print this information if he thought James was pulling his leg.

It's a good book, worth a read.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
ah...a RDJ thread. what a nice surprise.

First of all, Mike, I greatly encourage you to first check out Selected Ambient Works 85-92. It is probably one of my most prized possesions. At the time when I bought it, in 93, it was terribly hard to find. I had to go to BPM in San Francisco and paid well... I digress. (this was pre internet).

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread. I am sort of mixed on Drukqs. Some of the Satie-like nocturnes and quieter numbers really appeal to me (yes, I was one of the 10 people who like SAW2) and other drill and bass acid wacked weirdness were okay.

I will probably pick up 26 Mixes, if, for no other reason, Richard's take on SyncSwim by 808state. (the uncredited "mix" track on disc 2).

Aphex Twin is such a tough artist to like....some of his stuff is damn near unlistenable (ventolin) but there are superb gems hidden on b-sides and rare tracks (flim, IZ-Us, Analog Bubblebath 5, now that is hard to get.)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I am sort of mixed on Drukqs. Some of the Satie-like nocturnes and quieter numbers really appeal to me (yes, I was one of the 10 people who like SAW2) and other drill and bass acid wacked weirdness were okay.
Alex, I'm also one of the 10 who liked SAW2. As is the author of the book I mentioned before, he considers it required listening.

I liked Drukqs as well, even though it was all over the map creatively. That could be because according to James, the album was kind of forced out in a way. He claims in an interview that he left a laptop with a bunch of tunes by him and Tom Jenkinson (aka Squarepusher) on an airplane. To combat the possibility of piracy, he took the back-ups of the songs and released some of them. He figured if whomever ended up with the laptop knew what they had, all the music could end up, well, anywhere.

But, as Brian and I were discussing, James is known for his hyperbole so it could just be Richard blowing smoke.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jason, Mezzanine is also the one Massive Attack album I have.

I'll keep Aphex Twin in my mind the next time I hit a record store.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member

:eek: Jesus H. Christ! You both need to get Blue Lines right now. Run out of your house and buy it. Mezzanine is my favourite album of all time, but BL is right behind. Protection is also superb but easily the least of the 3. And 100th Window a rather distant 4.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Blue Lines is the new album right? I have protection and mezzanine...i'll have to pick that up soon then....

Have you guys had a listen to UNKLE or AIR? i think they have worthyness of a listen...

Definately Hooverphonic and Red Snapper...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Blue Lines was the first one, so it went

Blue Lines
Protection
No Protection (its a dub remix thing)
Mezzanine
Singles box (11 cds or 12"s of all the singles to that point)
100th Window

As for 26 Mixes, its just nice having them all together on two discs that, should the car get nicked or I leave them somewhere, its going to be possible to replace them. I've got about half of them already, but spread across stacks of things.

I do question some of the choices, though. The Jesus Jones track isn't half as good as the other one he did of it (leaving aside the fact that the Liam Howlett mix is better than either), and similiarly the inclusion of Your Head My Voice by Saint Etienne, rather than Who Do You Think You Are is an odd thing to do.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I will probably pick up 26 Mixes, if, for no other reason, Richard's take on SyncSwim by 808state. (the uncredited "mix" track on disc 2).
Ooops (I did it again)....that is not Syncswim but rather Flow Coma by 808 state, credited as AFX Aphex Twin mix.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm another one that was not disappointed in Drukqs. I haven't got the Mixes cd yet, but it's on my to-get list. Great places to start with Aphex Twin :
I agree with both
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 &

Richard D. James
(which should be included in anyones music collection.)

As far as the making his own instruments topic. I was under the impression, he kind re-worked alot of electronics. e.g. old Korg, Moog boards, video games (he uses an old Defender game "hyperspace" sound on a few tracks and it's not a sample), blenders, and other assorted electronics. I think he went back on the fact that he built these machines from the ground up. Still, the guy is an important & creative artist not to be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks