What's new

Thanks for all the great memories in Dallas, Emmitt Smith..... (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I never thought he should be mentioned in the same breath as Barry Sanders or Walter Payton, but the fact that he is, makes me give him a lot of credit. Nobody gave more or had more heart than Emmitt Smith. He never did anything to really excite me, but wow, that team was good, and he had a 5 year spell from 91-95 where he was really unstoppable. That O-line + Moose would just pound holes and it was a thing of beauty (even though I dislike the Cowboys). It is truly the end of one of the greatest and more interesting dynasties football has known.

He is gonna end a back-up in Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Miami (most likely not because Ricky is a workhorse, but the Wannstedt connection could come into play), or Carolina. Just my feeling that Emmitt is going back home.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
There was an interview with Emmitt on ESPN a few years back that I'll never forget. The interviewer basically asked why Emmitt never did any touchdown dances or celebrations. Emmitt then said his father told him something of the order, "the good ones don't do that". My respect for him as a player shot through the roof. What class, what an awesome attitude to have. He IS one of the best players ever by my book.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Jerry Rice, Art Monk, etc... They don't look right playing in other uniforms (actually Jerry looks pretty good in the Silver and Grey).

Emmitt will probably be re-signed by the cowboys just before he officially "retires" so the Hall of Fame will show him as a Cowboy. While I am no fan of Dallas, Aikman and Smith seemed the epitome of class for football players.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There was an interview with Emmitt on ESPN a few years back that I'll never forget. The interviewer basically asked why Emmitt never did any touchdown dances or celebrations. Emmitt then said his father told him something of the order, "the good ones don't do that". My respect for him as a player shot through the roof. What class, what an awesome attitude to have.
While I have a lot of respect for Smith's accomplishments on the field, I do find fault with the above statement. The NFL instituted a rule prohibiting players from removing their helmets while on the field in part due to Emmitt's habit of removing his helmet to mug for the camera after a big play.

I also think that he should just retire. What else is there for him to accomplish, other than to embarrass himself as he slows down. My only memory of watching Willie Mays play live is him falling down at home plate in the '73 World Series with the Mets (I was too young to remember him from his prime). That's no way to remember a great player.

Allen W

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a great time watching Emmitt play the last 13 years and have been fortunate to see him play in person about 25 times. I think he is a great running back and a has a lot of class. I don't want to see him play in another uniform but I think he has one more really good year left in him. Jerry Jones ran him out based on salary cap issues.

He was the by FAR the best running back on the cowboys team last year, they just didn't give him the ball enough. The reason he didn't have a 1000 yard season is the cowboys offensive coordinator (Bruce Coslet - now fired by Bill Parcells thank god) hasn't been associated with a winning team in 15 years and doesn't know how to coach. He had Emmitt split carries with Troy Hambrick -ugh. We are going to have to watch Hambrick get 2.5 yards a carry this year while the Cowboys figure out he isn't any good.

I hope Emmitt goes to another team and has a 150 yard game against the Cowboys just to piss off Jerry Jones.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
He was the by FAR the best running back on the cowboys team last year, they just didn't give him the ball enough. The reason he didn't have a 1000 yard season is the cowboys offensive coordinator (Bruce Coslet - now fired by Bill Parcells thank god) hasn't been associated with a winning team in 15 years and doesn't know how to coach.
Exactly! Emmitt definately wasn't a full-time back this past season.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I am a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan. I think Emmitt is great, but most fans probably saw this coming a mile away. I for one don't mind seeing him leave. I wouldn't want to see Emmitt waste another season of his career behind a pisspoor offensive line.

Regard his current skills, I agree with what Emmitt said. He is still a 1,300 yard back, if you put him on a team with a good passing game to take the heat off him. The fact that he almost gained 1000 yards behind the most disgraceful O-line in NFL history was admirable.

The only problem I had with Emmitt was his many mad dashes to the sidelines. I know running out of bounds has prolonged his career, but as a football fan, there is nothing I hate to see more than a ball carrier run out of bounds to avoid a hit. Emmitt did that a lot.

In fairness to Emmitt, I didn't have a chance to watch the other 30 RBs in the league to know if they run out of bounds as often.

So, I will miss Emmitt, but I am not angry he is leaving. What I am angry about is that Jerry and Bill resigned the ultimate slacker and underachiever Flozell Adams. I still can't figure that one out. Yes, he has all the physical tools, but he has never shown the heart to make the most of his raw talent. I think Parcells/Jones bit off $25 million more than they can chew on this one.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I've never been a fan of the Cowboys as a franchise (I'm originally from Virginia...it's against the law) but I have always respected Emmitt Smith for both his athletic ability and attitude on the field.

His decision to retire or not should be made based on his own desire to keep playing football and not based on the desire of his fans to see him go out in his prime. If he still loves what he does and if he still feels capable or doing it, who are we to tell him to quit? I for one would love to see him sign a one or two year contract with the Redskins :)

Thanks,
Jeff

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I hope Emmitt Smith retires because it would be strange to see him in another uniform. It would be like Willie Mays with the Mets or Babe Ruth with the Brooklyn Dodgers. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Kirk said:

actually Jerry looks pretty good in the Silver and Grey
Yeah, he even looks better in the Silver and Black. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It would be like Willie Mays with the Mets or Babe Ruth with the Brooklyn Dodgers.
While Willie Mays did finish his career with the Mets, Babe Ruth finished his with the Boston Braves, not the Dodgers.

Other great players to finish quietly elsewhere that come to mind:

Hank Aaron -- Milwaukee Brewers
Johnny Unitas -- San Diego Chargers
Joe Montana -- Kansas City Chiefs
Joe Namath -- was it the Rams?
O.J. Simpson -- 49ers
Greg Landry -- Chicago Bears ;) (just seeing if anyone's paying attention)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I've enjoyed watching Emmitt Smith play as well. My grandfather loved the Cowboys and some of my best memories are watching games with him. Emmitt Smith is an icon of the Cowboys. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks