Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Dvdaf.com Down?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 11:18 AM

Hey, I can't make it my favorite DVD "software" databse site. Can anyone else?

www.dvdaficionado.com
www.dvdaf.com

?

#2 of 20 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 11:32 AM

I heard that it is going to be down until Wednesday at the earliest.

#3 of 20 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,061 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 15 2003 - 11:34 AM

The owner needs to get a new router. It could be down up to a week.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 20 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted February 15 2003 - 11:37 AM

I tried to connect but I could not get onto the site. The problem with both of those sites have to do with the Internet Router that the sites use. I found this info on a Yahoo Group which I am a member of & it says:

February 15, 2003 Announcement: Our router is almost gone, it stays up for small periods of time and then dies. Normal service is likely to be restored around Wednesday or Thursday. We apologize for the inconvenience. You can help us to pay for a new router by making a donation. Thanks.

#5 of 20 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 03:01 AM

Thank God!

I was really getting worried. Definitely a pain to re-log my DVD's!

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#6 of 20 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 01:58 PM

The site is working for me at the moment, but I don't know if it is back for good.

#7 of 20 Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted February 18 2003 - 08:26 PM

I got a mail today saying they are up

No details however, but I kinda doubt they would word it that way if they expect to go down again. The router info is also removed from their front page, so I guess they are really back in business.
My DVD list

#8 of 20 Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,379 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 01:48 AM

Nothing like going to my collection for the 1st time in a week a finding it's all wiped out. crap........Posted Image

#9 of 20 Mark Lemmond

Mark Lemmond

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 02:20 AM

What's wrong with dvdaf.com now you can look at the main page but your collection is gone and it does not recognize any usernames? Also the search features don't work.
"People think that Hell is fire and brimstone and the Devil poking you in the butt with a pitchfork, but it's not. Hell is when you should have walked away, but you didn't. " My Collection DVD Spot version

#10 of 20 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,061 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 06:20 AM

They are obviously having some major glitches. Hopefully they'll fix it quick.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 20 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 06:23 AM

I only use DVD Aficionado to keep track of the upcoming DVD releases, but unfortunately they have all been erased. Posted Image

#12 of 20 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 07:56 AM

My collection has also been erased. Also, all the DVD listings are also erased.

#13 of 20 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 07:56 AM

Yesterday I received a bulk email from them asking for a donation.

Today my entire collection is wiped from their database.

What the heck is going on?

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#14 of 20 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 08:20 AM

They are obviously having some kind of technical glitch since no titles show up if you do a search.

I would give them a week to fix things before I get worried.

#15 of 20 BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 09:49 AM

My entire list is also gone at DVDAficionado. Glad I still use DVDTracker and have a list available for my records.

#16 of 20 Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 09:49 AM

Yikes! My collection is gone too!!

This isn't good! Posted Image

Couldn't they give us some warning? Hopefully they'll be back up soon.

#17 of 20 Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 10:39 AM

As Bill J said, it is probably a technical glitch.

Also take into consideration that the site may have been hacked. I'm not saying that DVD Aficionado was hacked but it could have been hacked since they are dirty people on the Internet who would hack a site.

#18 of 20 LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 11:12 AM

I hope it's not that our colletions are gone, but the whole database is missing, when you search for ANY title, nothing shows up, so our collections are probably ok if they fix this.
If not, I'm screwed.
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#19 of 20 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 02:36 PM

My entire list is back. Posted Image Posted Image

#20 of 20 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,061 posts

Posted February 21 2003 - 02:40 PM

See - just a glitch - hopefully it's understood by the site and won't be repeated.