What's new

Sony hybrid SACD's must be near (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I was browsing tower.com's SACD's last night and on a great many titles this was listed, "quantities limited, title out of print". 50, or so, Sony titles said this. Mee'uh's auh tinkin' dat de hybrid era may be soon to arrive in mass, maybe?

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that too Rachael...

Alot of Miles Davis is going (Dark Magus, Big Fun, Live Evil, etc.) Hopefully to be replaced with new improved MULTI-CHANNEL disk ala "Kind of Blue".

...can't wait for the new MC "Bitches Brew"...

I can't quite figure the rationale behind discontinuing the multi-channel version of Carole King's "Tapestry". I imagine it must be one of the larger selling sony sacds... -JD

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jack, the assumption is that these discs will be replaced with HYBRID, CD layer added discs. This isn't a multi-channel or not thang. You can have stereo SACD, M/C SACD, and a CD stereo PCM program/layer all on the same disc. Best wishes!:)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,

I do understand that, but you know what they say when we assume (you know... ASS out of U and ME...)

After all, this is sony we're talking about...

I think that it's a strange selection of discs if that's sony's plan...

A few "more popular" (and of those, very few multi-channel) titles, and ALOT of John Tesh kind of stuff... Sorry to John Tesh fans(I do think there are a couple...somewhere)

I have a feeling alot of these may simply be going out-of-print...

Then again, what do I know. Time will tell...

Best wishes to you! -JD

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jack, my guess is that these are, for the most part, the fastest sellers. These may be the discs they'll run out of first anyway. Some are really recent releases like Jorma Kaukonen. I know what you mean when you say this is So-knee, the corporation that is always skinning it's knees. Makes you wonder what kind of brain-trust they have there? :alien: I think Sony is ready to sidetrack it's desire to do away with that nasty PCM and make hybrids because they must to ensure success. They don't want to but know they have to do it economically. Best wishes! :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think Sony is ready to sidetrack it's desire to do away with that nasty PCM and make hybrids because they must to ensure success. They don't want to but know they have to do it economically.
Well yes and the hybrids of remastered series often wind up in the regular redbook bins which also helps with sales.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Alot of Miles Davis is going (Dark Magus, Big Fun, Live Evil, etc.) Hopefully to be replaced with new improved MULTI-CHANNEL disk ala "Kind of Blue".
But weren't these titles always marketed as "limited editions"?

But it's certainly true that Sony & Co. are gearing up big for hybrids, converting old replication facilities and building new ones (at least the one in Terra Haute).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks