What's new

CP72 Vs RP82 (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Well after finding out and looking for the RP82, I have finally decided to settle for the replacement CP72. I have a few questions though.

1) Do the two units differ only in single vs. multi disk capability?
2) Do they have the same build quality otherwise.
3) What about the DCDi interlacing? are they same in both units.
4) Also from the panasonic site I noticed that the RP82 has Gamma correction which the CP72 doesnt. What do I lose from not having that?
5) Also the site states that the RP82 has 24/192 DACs on 8 channels vs. just 24/192 for the CP72. I am not sure what that meant. From what I understand the CP72 also has the 8 24/192 DACs. The site just forgot to mention it. Am I right in assuming that or is there something else that I am missing that suggests that the CP72 has inferior audio capability.

But from these minor details that I dont seem to know, I think the CP72 seems like a good replacement for the RP82. Plus I am looking forward to having a multi disc player as I can load up a bunch of audio CDs and DVDs and enjoy without having to get off that cozy couch:laugh:.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I just got the CP72 & have my RP82 on eBay. I wanted a 5-disc unit & couldn't resist putting the RP82 on eBay given its crazy demand. To my eyes, the 480p picture quality is identical between the two players. If you need professional confirmation, you'll have to wait for Stacey or Don to add the CP72 to their shootout.

Re: your questions...
(1) Mostly yes. The CP72 lacks a coaxial digital audio output & the CD remaster function
(2) Yes, same build quality where it matters, but of course the CP72 is almost twice as deep & heavier
(3) Yes, same DCDi chip in both players
(4) Not sure if the CP72 excludes "Gamma Correction", but I never used it anyway. I leave my player set to "Normal" & "Auto 1"
(5) Audio is the same as far as I know (or can tell)

Hope that helps.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
The specs on the Panasonic website have been shown to be in error on many counts.

The RP82 and CP72 have the same picture. The primary differences (other than 5-disk changer) are that the RP82 has coax digital audio output in addition to the optical output and it is smaller with a more complete display.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Brajesh,

I will be happy to take Rp-82 from your hands.

I just send you an e-mail...

Looking forward to your replay.

_zjt

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
The RP82 also has "Remaster Mode" and a bigger and easier to read LCD Display then the CP72.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
... a bigger and easier to read LCD Display then the CP72.
and a more obtrusive in the dark :) I for one don't mind the smaller display. I'm happiest when I can turn the display completely off during playback.

The panny website's specs are a joke. I was concerned about the same thing. I'm quite glad I got teh CP72 instead of an RP82, I can live without the coax (my pre-amp has a bazillion optical inputs) and I LOVE the multi disc.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I dont mind the smaller LCD and can live without the digital coax plus the multi disc would be a welcome addition. So looks like I am all set with this. Time to go out and buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks