What's new

Zinema-esque 007 Die Another Day cover (1 Viewer)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
looks like part of this thread got lost. the cover is now available for download, and I am in the process of correcting the typos/errors on zinema's covers. some will take longer than others though.

the following are corrected:
Dr. No
From Russia w/love
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Moonraker
Tomorrow Never Dies
The World is not Enough
Die Another Day (dots in credits weren't lined up)

dvdcoverart link

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
A few people know this, most people don't: I'm "Zinema."

First of all, Matt, you've done a wonderful job. Really great work!

I'm also in contact with another cover artist who has created his own "Zinemaesque" cover for "Die Another Day" which I think is even closer to what I would do if I made the cover. He's making a few more tweaks and then his cover will probably be available as well. It's significantly different from Matt's, so it will be nice for people to have a choice between two great covers.

I have to say, I'm relieved that other artists have been able to recreate my covers without needing the original layered PSD files. That's the primary reason that I haven't continued the series or fixed the typos -- my original files are stuck on a failed drive.

Part of me wishes I had the free time to put more effort into continuing this series of covers. But for those of you who remember my first posts in alt.fan.james-bond long ago , the reason I went "public" with my covers was not to show off or to profit from them -- it was to show other Bond fans (who were complaining about those Photoshoppy MGM covers) how easy it was to make your own.

That's the biggest reward for me out of all this -- to see others make their own covers!

I still might take a stab at doing my own DAD cover but in the meantime, I'm glad that there are other alternatives to (hopefully) quell the number of e-mails I get every day demanding that I finish the new cover! :)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Charlie,

thanks for the kind words. I printed out the first 19 or so, so I was kinda locked in at that point =) They say that iminitation is the highest form of flattery, right?

I would have liked to used a slightly different poster style for the front cover, but for DaD I couldn't find anything that matched the feel of the ones you used - they all have that photoshopped look to them. Some of the images used for the back could have been better too (I would have liked a good Bond/Jinx pic instead of just Jinx for consistency, but couldn't find anything suitable quality-wise)

Anyways, I'm happy with the result, it matches your set pretty well, and I can toss away the crappy cover MGM blessed us with. If you'd like a copy of the template I created just drop me an email

-Matt

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Nice to meet you, Charlie! I've been a fan of your covers for quite sometime and recently converted to them. They look very sharp on the shelf. Yours are probably some of the first fan made covers I had seen, and inspired me to try my own hand at Star Trek covers. (I even figured out how to do a continuing spine shot... Man, what a hassle!

Matt, thanks again for doing such an extroadinary job mimicking Zin's covers.

You both get a big fat KUDOS!

Ric

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This is from the list I sent to Zinema and recently to Matt.

Dr. No

Probably should be a comma for "Radio and Television Spots" ("original theatircal trailers, radio and television spots')

"license to kill" on the poster shold be spelled with a "C" for continuity (licence)

From Russia With Love

The bullet point next to "Original Promotional Trailers" is just a lower case "a" and not a dot.

Goldfinger

Screenplay by Paul "Dehn" not "Dern"

The indicia on the bottom is really from GoldenEye and not Goldfinger

It should say "Audio Commentaries" not "Commentary".

The Spy Who Loved Me

Back cover should say "Barbara Bach and Curt Jurgens". On Zinema's cover the "and" is replaced with a dot

"...leads to billionaire shipping magnate Karl Stromberg (Curt Jurgens)." This sentence should end with a period not a comma.

Moonraker

The top left hand corner has a glitch (just on the edge, to the left of the photo)

Tomorrow Never Dies

"Elliot Carver" should only be spelled with one "t"

Credits on the back should read, "Albert R. Broccoli's EON Productions Presents..."

Costume Designer Lindy Hemming

The World is not Enough

Renard is "virtually unstoppable" not "virtually unstoppale".

Neil

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
A few people know this, most people don't: I'm "Zinema."
Da-Da-DAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

And you would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for us snooping kids! :D

Great work on those covers, Charlie. :emoji_thumbsup: The only reason I haven't printed them out yet was due to the large logo on the spine which I knew would look a bit daft after the next couple of films... ;) :) If I might ask, where did you get the high quality source images from?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
If I might ask, where did you get the high quality source images from?
A variety of sources, but mostly laserdisc covers and really old VHS boxes. Also, Red Grant from artofjamesbond.com kindly supplied me with some poster art as well. For many of the photos, I just scanned images from some of the Bond companion books I own.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Thanks for the reply, Charlie. :)

At one time I considered making my own double-sided covers for the JB series, designing for clear keepcases. The alternative poster art for many of the films is excellent, and I could then use up to four posters (or two for the outer cover, and a large landcape one for the inner). Or have a choice Bond girl pic on the back cover instead. :) The only major obstacle is the lack of high quality source material for some of the images...

John KB

Second Unit
Just thought I'd check in to see if there was anymore corrections done? I'm not being pushy, I'm just excited about getting all the covers.
I know I could just keep checking over at dvdcoverart, but it's easier to ask, rather than typing in each title one at a time. I hope that's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks