What's new

Zeigfeld Theater to close (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Josh Steinberg said:
That's part of the reason that the RealD spec also limits the size of the screen on which their equipment is meant to be used - there's only so large a screen that their equipment can cover while still providing a properly bright image. Unfortunately, the Ziegfeld's screen was larger than the RealD spec allows, which resulted in dimmer 3D than normal.

Martin's post above says the Ziegfeld screen is 52'. There's a theater here in Vermont with a 60' screen that shows RealD all the time. They claim the screen is "approved by RealD". Are they stretching the truth?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Malcolm R said:
Martin's post above says the Ziegfeld screen is 52'. There's a theater here in Vermont with a 60' screen that shows RealD all the time. They claim the screen is "approved by RealD". Are they stretching the truth?

I know the Ziegfeld was out spec in 2010 - but it's entirely possible that RealD has changed their specs since then, so I can't say for sure.

On a separate note, Bob Cashill noted a few posts earlier that he had been to the Ziegfeld around the time I had last been there and didn't have the most positive experiences, and noted that it seemed to have improved during its final days. I haven't been back since I think 2012, so I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they at least were putting on a better show during their final year.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Problem with the Paris is that it only shows Weinstein movies. No specialty/exclusives action there.

And a 9-figure millionaire is a billionaire. A 9-figure millionaire isn't getting his money's worth. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Cashill said:
Problem with the Paris is that it only shows Weinstein movies. No specialty/exclusives action there.

And a 9-figure millionaire is a billionaire. A 9-figure millionaire isn't getting his money's worth. :)

A billion would be 10 figures (1,000,000,000).

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Yes... the Paris basically shows what I call upper-middle brow fare. Maybe that will change now? I doubt it though. I don't think the Paris is the right venue for a movie like THE FORCE AWAKENS anyway. I *do* wish the Paris would program more of the movies that play at the Lincoln Plaza (great movies there... but such a bummer to have go down to a basement for a theater... and their sight lines are horrific with postage stamp screens).

Sadly most of my recent trips to the Ziegfeld have been disappointing, but I'll never forget as a college freshman at NYU seeing APOCALYPSE NOW for the first time. I felt just like a hick in the big city... when the movie started I jumped out of my seat because I'd never heard surround sound before... and I thought helicopters were coming in from the back of the theater! :lol:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I avoid the Lincoln Plaza, which needs a makeover. Record crowds reported at the Ziegfeld today, figures.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Bob Cashill said:
I avoid the Lincoln Plaza, which needs a makeover. Record crowds reported at the Ziegfeld today, figures.
Yes, I was there on Wednesday 12:45pm show and expected it to be empty. It was far from full, but much more crowded than I expected. At least ten people were taking photos of the theater.

When I left, there was an even bigger crowd for the next show.

Pretty good considering how long Force has already been playing.

But also, too little, too late. I remember going to the final shows at a number of different clubs that were jam packed. In each case, the owner said, "If this many people showed up all the time, I wouldn't have had to close."

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
WilliamMcK said:
Yes... the Paris basically shows what I call upper-middle brow fare. Maybe that will change now? I doubt it though. I don't think the Paris is the right venue for a movie like THE FORCE AWAKENS anyway. I *do* wish the Paris would program more of the movies that play at the Lincoln Plaza (great movies there... but such a bummer to have go down to a basement for a theater... and their sight lines are horrific with postage stamp screens).

Sadly most of my recent trips to the Ziegfeld have been disappointing, but I'll never forget as a college freshman at NYU seeing APOCALYPSE NOW for the first time. I felt just like a hick in the big city... when the movie started I jumped out of my seat because I'd never heard surround sound before... and I thought helicopters were coming in from the back of the theater! :lol:
The movie actually opened with "The End" by the Doors. This film was the first to use 70mm split surround, which was implemented specifically for the helicopter flyovers. I believe they also added extra woofers as they also did for "Close Encounters..."

The only time I was disappointed at the Ziegfeld was for the 70mm presentation of "The Master". Dirt end to end on the print. DTS sound only fair.

As for the Paris, they should not change the type of films they show. There are certainly plenty of Manhattan theaters that show the mainstream crap. But the place could use a renovation.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
zoetmb said:
...As for the Paris, they should not change the type of films they show. There are certainly plenty of Manhattan theaters that show the mainstream crap. But the place could use a renovation.

Yes, I love the Paris but it could use some TLC. A larger screen would be a plus too.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
zoetmb said:
The movie actually opened with "The End" by the Doors. This film was the first to use 70mm split surround, which was implemented specifically for the helicopter flyovers. I believe they also added extra woofers as they also did for "Close Encounters..."

The only time I was disappointed at the Ziegfeld was for the 70mm presentation of "The Master". Dirt end to end on the print. DTS sound only fair.

As for the Paris, they should not change the type of films they show. There are certainly plenty of Manhattan theaters that show the mainstream crap. But the place could use a renovation.
The Paris only shows movies from The Weinstein Company (they must have some sort of deal) and non-exclusively to boot. You can see Carol, the current occupant, anywhere in the city.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Bob Cashill said:
The Paris only shows movies from The Weinstein Company (they must have some sort of deal) and non-exclusively to boot. You can see Carol, the current occupant, anywhere in the city.
Exclusivity went out the window years ago. The Ziegfeld used to be exclusive. When it had exclusivity, it was very successful.

The Paris is not just selling the movie. It's selling a particular atmosphere that used to exist all over the East Side. I don't know the nature of its deal with Weinstein, but I suspect without it, it wouldn't survive. In the long run, it probably won't survive anyway -- that's pretty expensive real estate. It probably grosses under $2 million a year. That's very little for that neighborhood.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
zoetmb said:
Exclusivity went out the window years ago. The Ziegfeld used to be exclusive. When it had exclusivity, it was very successful.

Not only did the Ziegfeld not have exclusivity on titles, other places near it had exclusives the Ziegfeld couldn't offer. Take "Star Wars: The Force Awakens". You could see that at the Ziegfeld in regular 2D or 3D (can't remember if it was one or both formats alternating), with no extra enhancements or perks. Or you could walk a few short blocks and see the movie in a theater with reclining seats and Dolby Vision projection and Dolby Atmos sound on a screen that was probably equal or close to equal in size. Or you could walk a few blocks in a different direction and see it in IMAX on a larger screen, in a presentation that offered a changing aspect ratio and expanded visuals. So not only did the Ziegfeld not have an exclusive on this title, they didn't even have the capabilities to present it in premium visual or audio formats.

Besides the mismanagement I remembered from my brief time working there, that above is the single biggest reason that I almost never wound up there. Not the biggest screen, despite being a single screen theater. No longer a state of the art sound system. Not able to show special premium versions of the movie that IMAX had. And, importantly, not the most comfortable seats. There were always better options, often with more convenient showtimes and better amenities, mere blocks away. As much as I love the romantic idea of a single screen movie palace.. why would I pay more money for a lesser experience? I gather I'm not the only one who came to that conclusion.

Lots of mixed feelings on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks