What's new

Yet, another Fox BR title delayed. (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I haven't seen anything, even a press release that says a particular title is coming from Fox. I doubt that a title would be coming out in in the next few weeks with out some kind of announcement. We may see an announcement in the next few weeks but I don't think you'll see a title on the shelves in that time.

It was only about 2 weeks ago that they announced that they had begun issuing specifications to content providers for BD+. There was nothing said about how long it would take to implement in actual production, or if it would pass QA once it was implemented. Add to that I'm not sure that even if everything went smooth as glass, that they could mass produce a title in that time.

My guess, IF BD+ was the issue with Fox not releasing, that we probably still have a few months before you will see Fox titles on the shelves.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I would agree, and, if the release dates coming from places like Europe and Australia are any indication, then it would appear that September is the timeframe we're looking at.

Also, I am frustrated with Fox, but does anyone realize that they've already released more titles than Paramount and Weinstien? I thought that was ironic.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Fox has already released more titles than Paramount? I guess I hadn't noticed. I haven't bought any Fox titles yet. I had Speed in my hand till I realized it was almost $30 for a movie only release.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yep. A quick search on Amazon shows 33 Fox BD titles, to 34 for Paramount, which includes unreleased titles like Top Gun, etc.

Although five of those Fox hits are erroneous, so that would bring their total down to 28. However, another 5 Paramount hits are either pre-orders or in error as well. Anyway, its not exactly a perfect comparison using such a quick-and-dirty method, but it is clear that Fox was at least pretty committed at the outset.

Edited to add:

In an effort to get a better comparison, I went out to High-Def Digest and looked at their Historical Release Date, which shows:

Fox: 32
Parmount: 27 (includes counting MI four times 1 for each individual title and 1 for the box set)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You mean - yukh - people actually on the payroll of manufacturers, studios and retailers?

;)

Cees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am format neutral - it's many studios, that's who are not.
And a few fanboys and followers.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Gotta love the vagueness of "industry sources". :P Shifts the responsbility of accurate and often inaccurate info on the shoulders of someone else. :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Just checked DVDEmpire:
  • 20th Century - 28
  • Weinstein - 11
  • Paramount - 33
These numbers may not be complete, as DVDEmpire does not always list all titles.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Well, like I amended, I used High-Def Digest's Historical Release Dates to arrive at:

Fox: 32
Parmount: 27 (includes counting MI four times 1 for each individual title and 1 for the box set)

Also, DVD Empire is omitting the following Fox titles: The Usual Suspects, Flyboys, Hart's War, Bullet Proof Monk, Rocky, and Windtalkers. While you are counting six Paramount pre-releases in the 33 total.

I wasn't couting pre-orderable titles because the point, if there really was any to begin with, was that even with a long hiatus Fox has still released more content than a couple studios out there to date.

Again, Fox deserves criticism for high prices and a long hiatus, but digging deeper there are other studios that aren't pulling their weight, and, unsurprisingly, Paramount is one of them.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
You are probably right. I just did a quick countof the titles on DVDEmpire and did not check to see if they were prereleases or not. It s a little sad to see no 20th Century Fox in the pre-release column.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Don't use other sites. Rather use the excellent two sticky threads on top in this subforum. They're maintained by Robert Crawford and I've found them always to be very accurate.

Cees

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

You have an HD DVD supporter in a BD thread telling people not to buy any hardware right now...
I didn't bring it up, why am I being singled out?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That really is quite incredible. I would have bet good money that the opposite were true. But just imagine how many titles would have been available by now had they kept releasing titles. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks