What's new

Wyatt Earp, season 1 coming (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I thought after Rhino's "best of" release a few years back (and a condensed version of that release offered by Timeless Media) that we wouldn't see anything else on "Wyatt Earp," but Infinity Entertainment is showing a 4/21/09 release date for season 1 of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp." Makes sense coming from Infinity, as they also released the complete "Adventures of Jim Bowie," which was from the same producer, Louis F. Edelman, as "Wyatt Earp." "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" was among the first of the so-called "adult westerns" debuting in 1955 around the same time as "Gunsmoke" and "Cheyenne."

Infinity Entertainment Group

Infinity is also showing a 3/17/09 release date for season 1 of "Sergeant Preston," which I strongly suspect is simply a reissue of the earlier release from Critics Choice Video.

Infinity Entertainment Group

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
"Well,..he cleaned up the country..the old wild west country..."

Great news Bob, I see they are promising all six seasons.

It's been pretty quiet lately on 50's stuff from Infinity so the stated commitment for all seasons is nice to see.

The Sgt Preston Complete Series set from Infinity never materialized. Tvshowsondvd.com once had a cover of the Preston set that said "In Full Color", so I wondered if they had found color prints of the two episodes they used b&w prints for on the 3rd Season set.

The multi-company releases of Earp and Robin Hood, from the smaller labels, shows that all it takes for some shows to come out is interest from those companies themselves or the copyright holders to get it out there.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I wouldn't read that as a guarantee that we'll see all seasons, Bob, more along the lines that it's their intention to release the series provided that sales of each season justify a continuance. I may be wrong about this, but I think that Infinity might have said the same about "The Real McCoys." Regardless, I really didn't think we'd see anything further on this series beyond the "best of" sets from Rhino and Timeless, so this announcement is welcome news. Incidentally, I have the Rhino set and the episodes on that set look a lot better than the episodes on the "Jim Bowie" set so, hopefully, we'll get a better looking release than the "Bowie" collection. I have to imagine that SFM Entertainment will be involved in this as they were with the original "Earp" release and the "Bowie" release.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I just emailed infinity to see if they plan to continue The Real McCoys. I will let you know their response.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
A local station was running Wyatt Earp and Burns and Allen for a while in the early 90's. I taped them to watch as a time shift but only saved a handful of episodes.

I saw the whole Earp run. I thought the episodes looked very nice and didn't appear to be cut except for those re-done white on black end credits to replace original product placements.

I've also wondered about the Earp openings over the seasons. All the episodes I've seen, on syndicated TV and the Rhino set, have Earp in front of his Tombstone office for the opening. So if we get a different opening on the Ellsworth and Dodge City episodes and a lot of product placement on the end credits, that would be sign they went back to the original elements.

S

silverking

Thanks for the heads up on this one Bob. One of the best early western series which maintained its quality right through to the end, in fact the later seasons where Earp arrives in Tombstone & his feud with the Clantons are the best.

The Rhino release a couple of years back was OK but as many of the episodes are interlinked it is a series which needs to be watched in order.

I'll certainly be up for this one.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have never seen this show, but have always heard about its importance as (along with Gunsmoke) television's first adult westerns. This will be a perfect way to introduce me to the series.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I picked up this first season recently and just finished the first 6 episodes and I'm really liking it. I realize from reading part of a write up that it's not entirely factual. Even if I hadn't read that article it wouldn't have been hard to come to that conclusion given that no one could be this perfect. But all in all it is very entertaining.

It would be nice to see if they can make it through all 6 seasons and get us to the gunfight at O.K. Corral. If not I will still go along for the ride as far as they can take it. While it would be nice to see their build up to the conclusion, it's not like we don'nt know what happens.

An easy recommendation for any one interested in classic westerns.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

In the event that "Wyatt Earp" doesn't make it to season six, you can see the "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" story arc on Rhino's and Timeless Media's "best of" collections. I have Rhino's set which was issued during the Fall of 2005 and, as "best of" sets go, it's pretty well done with 26 episodes spanning the series' entire run and, among the extras, includes interviews with both Hugh O'Brian and Mason Dinehart. Timeless did some sort of sub-license from Rhino and issued 15 episodes plus the O'Brian interview.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Bob,

How many season 1 episodes are part of the 26 episodes included in the Rhino set?

Edit: Nevermind I found it on another site. The first 7 episodes are from season 1, so that leaves another 19 episodes to tell the rest of the story with the last 5 being the big fight with the Clanton's.

I Seriously doubt I will want to wait a few years to see if additional full seasons trickly out so I just might get the Rhino set to get to the conclusion. If more season sets do come out it will just be icing on the cake.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I pulled the episode contents from Stuart Galbraith's review over at DVD Talk. Unfortunately, the entire disc 1 includes seven season 1 episodes, so there is a fair amount of duplication with the season 1 set from Infinity.

Disc One: Ellsworth and Wichita, includes "Wyatt Earp Becomes a Marshal" (episode 1.1), "Marshal Earp meets General Lee" (1.4), "Wyatt Earp Comes to Wichita" (1.5), "The Buntline Special" (1.16), "One of Jesse's Gang" (1.28), "The Pinkertons" (1.29), "Bat Masterson Again" (1.33). On Disc Two: Dodge City, there's "Dodge City Gets a New Marshal" (2.2), "Wyatt's Love Affair" (2.6), "Hang 'Em High" (2.27), "Wyatt meets Doc Holliday" (2.33), "When Sherman Marched Through Kansas" (3.27), "Dodge is Civilized" (4.34), "Dodge City - Hail and Farewell" (5.1). Disc Three: Tombstone includes: "Tombstone!" (5.3), "Wyatt's Decision" (5.4), "The Ring of Death" (5.10), "Wyatt Wins One" (5.11), "Wells Fargo Calling Marshal Earp" (5.18), "Wyatt's Bitterest Enemy" (5.41), and "The Truth About Old Man Clanton" (6.1). Finally, Disc Four: The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral offers "Requiem for Old Man Clanton" (6.33), "Wyatt's Brothers Join Up" (6.34), "Just Before the Battle" (6.35), "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" (6.36), and "The Outlaws Cry Murder" (6.37).

The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp: From Ellsworth to Tombstone : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Thanks Bob, I also ended up going to DVDTalk to get the answer, but I should have checked it first before asking to avoid you having to go to the trouble. Sorry about that.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Season 2 of Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp is suppose to be released September 29th according to TVShowsOnDVD. I bought season 1 this past Spring and after finishing it bought the Rhino best of collection to see the conclusion because I didn't want to wait any longer.

While I enjoyed seeing it to closure (sort of closure, looks like they planned on another season), I am also looking forward to getting the remaining seasons since the overall story flows much better. With the best of, Dodge is a mess when he arrives but is completely cleaned up a few episodes later. This takes like two seasons when viewed from the perspective of the whole series.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I contacted Infinity a couple months back inquiring about season 2 of Wyatt Earp and got an email back in February saying Season 2 would be released on May 18, 2010 but that it is a rough date. So hopefully we'll be seeing the 2nd season soon.

S

silverking

Likewise Mark. I emailed Infinity when Season 2 was abruptly pulled a day or so before release.

Heard nothing back until a week or so ago when they responded with the new release date of May 18, though they did stress this was highly provisional.

At least it appears not to have been abandoned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks