What's new

WSJ goes on record with rumors saying bigger iPhones coming this year (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I realize I've missed the obvious: I can buy my wife an iWatch and enjoy the high tech vicariously through her! :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
What a joke.Ever since the Japanese Quartz watch hit the market decades ago Swiss watches shifted toward the higher end niche market. Those who would be inclined to buy Swiss aren't sudden going to stop because of the iWatch. Swiss watch = you pass on to the next generationiWatch = something you throw away after it is obsolete.Edit: this is not to say the iWatch won't sell, I think it will, it just won't hurt the Swiss makers.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Wearable tech doesn't set my barn on fire and I see it as more of a fad which will be forgotten in 2-3 years. As such, I'm not a bit interested in the iWatch, et al. and don't see high-end Swiss watch makers, or any other time piece makers for that matter, losing any sales or sleep over it.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Apart from the various incarnations of the iPhone that I've owned, the only cell phone I've ever loved was the tiny little Nokia 8210. Sometimes I wonder whether those advocating for phablets actually use their phones as actual phones. For my taste, my current iPhone 5s is a bit large as a telephony device, and I am frequently using it with one hand while doing other things. I certainly have no desire for a 4.7" phone, and certainly not a 5.5" phone.

Unfortunately, as Apple usually doesn't favor lots of product lines, it seems that the newest features will be reserved for the newest (and larger phones). It doesn't look good for a iPhone 6 with a 4" screen and the latest technologies, though I hope I'm wrong. For all of those clamoring for larger devices, I hope Apple doesn't ignore the millions of users happily using iPhones with smaller screens.

Gruber has a brief comment on today's NY Times story about the 5.5" phone's potential UI changes. He does not seem optimistic.

Tomorrow is certainly going to be interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wearable tech doesn't set my barn on fire and I see it as more of a fad which will be forgotten in 2-3 years.
Clinton, hard to estimate the future, but as someone who is wearing one of these watches,
I think this tech has an extremely promising future. I have been on vacation this week and
just sitting in restaurants, I get waitresses stopping by or patrons tapping me on the shoulder
asking me about the watch and saying how much they want one.

Now owning one of these for over a week, I can't imagine myself without a wearable. It is
such a pleasure getting all my needed information within wrist's glance.

What will you do if Apple announces the best iWatch ever, but it's not for sale until Feb 2015?
I'll buy the iPhone 6 on the 19th, return the Android watch (as it's still in 15-day return window)
and wait things out. It will be tough not having a tech watch, but I'll manage.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;font-size:14.4444446563721px;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I can't imagine myself without a wearable. It is [/color]
such a pleasure getting all my needed information within wrist's glance.
I'm totally opposite. I don't want to be "that" in touch all day every day. I will continue to wear a traditional watch, I'll still be just fine keeping my phone (G2 with QuickWindow) on my desk to see while at work, and when I'm home, it will continue to sit on my dress for a majority of the night.

I just hate the idea of being contantly tied to emails/texts etc every second of the day.

I guess I'm old school. I just don't like this whole mentality this world has gone to of feeling like they have to constantly be "connected".

As for the new iPhone. It's nice that they finally decided to catch up with the rest of the smartphone world but I gave up using them after the 4S. Unforunatley my daughter is in the Apple world (she's 13) with all her friends and we do have some family still tied to the iPhones so she is asking for an iPhone so we may go with the soon to be super cheap 5S. Glad I didn't delete the iTunes from my new PC just yet

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alf,

I can totally understand that.

I am one of those people that is tied to my email. I am tethered to my phone and computer.

My life evolves around the Internet. So many times, I have drop what I am doing to log on and
post a press release or respond to a forum situation.

So, for those of you that don't want to be "that" in touch, I may not be able to relate but trust
that I totally understand. Totally.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Agreed, certain folks/situations call for 24/7 "connection", thankfully I'm not one of them. :)

p.s. Is there an easy way for me to delete posts I make??

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Which part? I probably won't pre-order tho I won't discount it. Apple answered most of my criticisms of existing solutions:
-It's not an engine for notifications, which is the raison d'etre for most of them on the market
-It's not bulky and their jewelry angles are going for the sweet spot of the market, not necessarily the $1500+ watch buyer, tho there is some appeal there too
-The health angle is fully baked
-Battery still remains a mystery but it looks like a full day plus is doable, we'll see

Carefully considered and a full ecosystem with reasons for every part of the process. As opposed to the spaghetti flung on the wall to this point.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also I was right about this:
Sam Posten said:
I have no idea if a 5.5 is coming or not. But:CHINA DONT KNOW SHIT.
And I was wrong about them not co-opting NFC. They added on to it and kept backwards compatibility, I'm ok with that. If that's what you meant I'm happy to eat that pie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks