What's new

Worst use of CGI in a movie? (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Even though I'm not a big fan of a lot of the effects shots added to Star Wars in the Special Editions, they're still nowhere near as bad as many of the examples mentioned here like Die Another Day, The Mummy Returns, Along Came a Spider and XXX: State of the Union. All of those had shots that the filmmakers should really be embarassed for putting on the big screen.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't believe Robert A. for a moment. He knows what the space cows are called.

ADMIT IT.

:D

As for my answer, Die Another Day came out in the last few years and looked worse than anything, AND had a huge budget. XXX2 came out in 2005 and looked like it came out in 1998. But what did you expect.

But for what is not mentioned...The Transporter 2 had some terrible CGI stunts.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
My nomination involves admitting I saw Catwoman (2004).
But, I did not pay to see it and I did not watch it all. All of the negative things I'd heard and read were quite accurate.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have to go with the plane crash in Air Force One. It was like they ran out of money and hired a pretty good college student to handle that shot. It stands out like a sore thumb in the movie.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Gone In 60 Seconds Remake: why couldn't they have just used a real car and some good ole fashioned camera tricks.?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Often times, it seems CG "actors" cause huge amounts of troubles - especially when they're "giants" or other things that they can just use a simple eye-line or other stand-ins for principle photography. Even worse is when they don't really know how it's gonna work, and just shoot and shoot and figure out how to put the (usually) monster in later.

The most recent example of this sort of disaster that I've seen is Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest involving the Kraken.

Is it me, or would they have been better off cutting out every frame that had the kraken in it? Heck, it'd have cut the run time down to a more managable 120 minutes, to boot!

Leo Kerr

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
The Kraken wasn't mind-blowing CG, but nominating ANYTHING in Dead Man's Chest for a "Worst CG Ever" thread seems pretty suspect. I didn't like the movie at all, really, but the effects work was pretty damned great all the way around.

And Chuck, I REALLY didn't remember it when I wrote the post--but I do remember it now.

It's a Shaak. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, those two are terrible, and they looked atrocious at the time - they aren't cases where they were fine for the era but aged badly.

I think the king of bad CG would have to be Lawnmower Man, though...

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I would like to add a vote for "The Mummy Returns". I'll never forget the "what the hell?" look on the face on the friend I was watching the movie with when The Rock showed up at the end as a huge half human half scorpion. He looked like a freaking video game character!

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
CGI Clonetroopers.

Don't get me wrong, much of the cgi is top notch, but the fact that they were using cgi to animate what are supposed to be real people in armour, it comes across as blatanly obvious and awkward looking in many scenes. The worst being when you actually see them without helmets. Uggh!

I would have given anything for them to have been real.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I know its an older movie, but American Werewolf in Paris had the worst CGI werewolf fight. In a dirt floor cave, 2 CGI werewolves couldnt even mess up the dirt when they were fighting. The cave looked like a bright sunny studio lock off to boot.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The plane crash at the end of Air Force One.

Blawp (!!) in Lost in Space

Pretty much everything in The Mummy Returns

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Anyway, "The Mummy Returns" is indeed pretty bad. "Jason X" had some bad CGI too. The aforementioned fight scene in Blade 2 always reminded me of watching someone play Mortal Kombat at an arcade, especially those long shots.

On the other hand, I was just watching a bit of Jurrasic Park the other day and was commenting on how well the CGI holds up, given its age. No doubt it would look better if done today, but it's still good.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
It's been mentioned, but I think it bears repeating: The Mummy Returns has the worst CGI effects work I personally have ever seen, especially the above-referenced scorpion creature. And I'm sorry but it does look like a playstation game.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. The CG dinosaurs really should look terrible by today's standards, but they don't. Since it was a groundbreaker in that realm, they clearly worked way overtime to make sure the footage would hold up, and it does!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I believe it was ILM's work, but they were rushed and didn't have nearly enough time to work on it with Jurassic Park 3 coming out later in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks