1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Wonder Boys" DVD - modified for content?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Cliff, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see a notice to this effect at the beginning of the movie; I've never seen a notice like this before. For those of you who have seen both the theatrical release and the DVD, has the DVD version indeed been modified?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Well-Known Member

From the Internet Movie Database:

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Well-Known Member

You could always use the search function too.

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I bet you were worried that Katie Holmes did some gratitious nudity and they sniped it, :b

Max

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Well-Known Member

So did Ladd really commit suicide or what? Is there any merit to the family's claim or did Paramount just bow to the pressure rather than create problems? I haven't seen this film yet.

Ladd's biography on IMDB says

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Well-Known Member

I can't really speak to the Ladd issue itself, but as far as this change goes in the movie, it is invisible if you're not aware of it and possibly even if you are. (I think they dubbed in a different name and cause of death in that spot. We're talking about maybe two seconds tops.)

Considering the holy hell people raise when the most minute things get changed in films for whatever reasons, I think Paramount should be commended for making mention of this edit. (It probably causes confusion more than anything, though.) I would not consider this something to get worked up about to the point of not purchasing the DVD. I'll have to pay attention if the Ladd reference will be in the print screened at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival.