What's new

Win an Onkyo TX-NR1030 9.2 channel Dolby Atmos AV Receiver (Redux) (1 Viewer)

marsd11

Auditioning
Real Name
Mario Decunto
Thanks Home Theater Forum for this opportunity! I hope it's not too late to join, I have been off line for a while. This would be a great tool for us, currently my Onkyo Integra A - 8017 I've owned since high school (1990), went out a few years ago, we have been suffering with TV speakers which are horrible. The kids would love to watch Jurassic Park with real sound! I would take the plunge on some awesome upfiring speakers and a new subwoofer. Also, my wife loves to stream music from her phone and would finally be able to do so without her wires. Thanks for your consideration and good luck to all!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would very much like a new receiver that has Dolby Atmos that will also allow me to pass 1080p 3D content to my UHD TV and UHD content to the display.

gatorfanaticalex

Auditioning
Real Name
Theo Braswell
We are having a new house built and I am having an entertainment room added. The Onkyo TX-NR1030 Atmos AV Receiver would give me so many options. The overhead sound would be over the top!

catesmw

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
so is the winner going to be announced on here or what is the notificaiton process? who won?

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I've always been an early adopter and I just visited Vancouver in Canada and went into a Future Shop and checked out the demonstration....my wife didn't argue that it wasn't great....just loud! I NEED IT1

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Elijah said:
So I haven't been notified yet, I guess its taking a while for the official limo to get here with all the balloons and whatnot...
I was tracking down and gassing up a WWII sub that took so long. :P According to our winner Rachael:
If I had this Onkyo and 4 ceiling speakers I'd be ready for the inevitable re-release of U-571 with ATMOS that will be spectacular. I might need cotton balls in my ears for that number! A depth charge a day keeps the blues away.
onkyo_1.PNG

Didn't win? Look for the next newsletter sometime this weekend. ;)

Gryfter

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam Stamos
Rachael B said:
Wow! I'll go down to @Home Theater and look at height speakers today. It's supposed to rain today.....it's raining good fortune!

That's awesome! Congrats Rachael!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've been looking at speaker options. Folks, let me tell ya'all, it's expensive to win this contest. Either I'm gonna have a pair of in-ceiling speakers installed or maybe buy some new speakers with the up-firing Atmos speakers. So, it's expensive or very expensive.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yesterday I went by @Home Theater and got a demo of an Atmos 5.1.2 in-wall and in-ceiling employing Triad speakers. I was impressed. I'd like to get a demo of the Elite Atmos speakers. I was on Pioneer's site and tried the dealer locator. No hit on Knocksville, TN , where I live. So, I tried Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville, Cincinnati, Lexington, and finally New York.....always the same, "no dealer located". It seems as if the only practical way to demo 'em is to order some. If I'm gonna buy new speakers, I'm most intrested in the Elite and the Atlantic Technology lines. There's an Atlantic dealer in nearby Alcoa. I don't know if I can get a demo there but it's at least possible.

I'm weighing whether to buy new speakers or would 2 or 4 in-ceiling speakers blend well with what I have, Paradigm Monitor speakers. Getting 2 or 4 ceiling speakers would be a considerable expense but is the much cheaper alternative.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Rachael B said:
Yesterday I went by @Home Theater and got a demo of an Atmos 5.1.2 in-wall and in-ceiling employing Triad speakers. I was impressed. I'd like to get a demo of the Elite Atmos speakers. I was on Pioneer's site and tried the dealer locator. No hit on Knocksville, TN , where I live. So, I tried Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville, Cincinnati, Lexington, and finally New York.....always the same, "no dealer located". It seems as if the only practical way to demo 'em is to order some. If I'm gonna buy new speakers, I'm most intrested in the Elite and the Atlantic Technology lines. There's an Atlantic dealer in nearby Alcoa. I don't know if I can get a demo there but it's at least possible.

I'm weighing whether to buy new speakers or would 2 or 4 in-ceiling speakers blend well with what I have, Paradigm Monitor speakers. Getting 2 or 4 ceiling speakers would be a considerable expense but is the much cheaper alternative.
Way to go, girl!!! :D :D :D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The Onkyo came today. It's heavy! I'll drag it down to the theater room later today and maybe hook it up. I have not decided yet what ceiling speakers I'll get. I am about 90% sure I'll do in-ceiling speakers. I wish I had the money to buy a set of Elite Atmos speakers or some Atlantic Technology speakers with the Atmos modules set on top. I'd have to save up for those kind of large purchases. Whatever kind of in-ceiling speakers I end up with, I've decided to do four of them. If I do nothing else today, I'll start reading the manual. I'll be running 7 channels out to my power amps. I need to find out if the receiver will power up all 4 Atmos speakers if I'm not using those 7 channels.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Rachael B said:
The Onkyo came today. It's heavy! I'll drag it down to the theater room later today and maybe hook it up. I have not decided yet what ceiling speakers I'll get. I am about 90% sure I'll do in-ceiling speakers. I wish I had the money to buy a set of Elite Atmos speakers or some Atlantic Technology speakers with the Atmos modules set on top. I'd have to save up for those kind of large purchases. Whatever kind of in-ceiling speakers I end up with, I've decided to do four of them. If I do nothing else today, I'll start reading the manual. I'll be running 7 channels out to my power amps. I need to find out if the receiver will power up all 4 Atmos speakers if I'm not using those 7 channels.

Congratulations on the big win!!

I would definitely go with the in or on-ceiling route. The enabled speakers are, at best, a compromise compared to real in or on ceiling speakers mounted in the proper places.

I was at CEDIA last year and the finest examples of Atmos came from having real, physical overhead speakers in place. And I heard a lot of demos.

Many over on AVS Forum have gone with the Tannoy Di5 DC or Di6 DC outdoor speakers due to cost vs. performance (including ex Dolby alum Roger Dressler). They're wide dispersal dual concentric drivers and have mounting brackets already in place. On-ceiling would be easier to install and aim in the proper positions without tearing out big holes in your ceiling. It would be easier than having to patch said holes, if you installed them incorrectly after you ran Atmos test material as well.

And when you get the itch for DTS:X immersive sound too, you could always sell the Onkyo. ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The appeal of the Atmos enable speakers, to me, is I could move them if need be. I've had the same Paradgm speaker for over a decade. So, I gave changing speakers a thought. I'm gonna carry the receiver downstairs in a few and have a look at the manual.

If DTS X takes off, well, I can always change processing again, easily....and I'll have Atmos in my bedroom system....if I had enabled speakers in there. I'll never put speakers in the ceiling of my bedroom. Why is DTS always bringing up the rear...? ....one format after another....

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Rachael,

Love the updates keep em coming, it really helps to lessen the soul-crushing weight of losing its really great to hear the progress

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks